Watching the Big 12 tournament

2,744 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag 11
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
makes me realize how much better that venue is than Hoover. Only part of the Big 12 I miss.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TempleAg97
AG
I couldn't even find it on tv last night. What station is it located?
jkag89
Bricktown is a great ballpark. Any fans there? Maybe some since Okie State is playing. While the venue a Hoover is rather meh, the atmosphere for the SEC Tournament is far better than any other league.
TempleAg97
AG
Oh and I've not been to Hoover but I often say the ONLY thing I miss about being in the Big 12 was going to the Big 12 baseball tournament every year. That location was a ton of fun. Great memories on and off the field with the Ags at the Big 12 Tournament in Bricktown.
dermdoc
AG
Fox Sports Southwest
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
I also like the Big 12 format a lot better. It sucks for fans that the first day is all single elimination so only four teams are assured of two games. Four fan bases only get to see their teams play once. That is why I stopped goin after getting burned several years ago.
jkag89
The downside to being in a large conference in which all the schools participate in baseball. The format does make it difficult for fans of those schools on geographic fringes to commit to making the trip unless they happen to be one of the top four seeds.
dermdoc
AG
And that is why I think they ought to move the tourney around.
jkag89
Don't disagree but the league has set park capacity numbers which limit the number of possible sites. I also think the centally located schools like it at Hoover. I think it would take a lot to overcome that bloc of votes keeping it at Hoover.
dermdoc
AG
jkag89 said:

Don't disagree but the league has set park capacity numbers which limit the number of possible sites. I also think the centally located schools like it at Hoover. I think it would take a lot to overcome that bloc of votes keeping it at Hoover.
Your second statement is exactly correct and is why they used that 10k number as a reason for not to move. I understand it but do not like it.
Wicked Good Ag
I actually would want to go to the ACC structure if they had four games a day and got all pools done in three days. Guarantee two games for each team with maybe the one seed in each pool playing with an off day
Makes the regular season also something to play for while making sure every team is playing two games.
I wouldn't go to Hoover unless I knew my team was playing two for sure unless we timed a road trip beginning perfectly
jkag89
Pool play sucks and a wholly an unsatisfactory way to choose an auto bid. That being said, I understand why the ACC only plays three games a day with the tendency of tourneys to back up.
Hop
Staff
AG
The SEC format is absolutely ridiculous. The first day is single elimination. The second and third days are double elimination then the fourth day is single elimination.
Wicked Good Ag
I don't think the SEC is worried about an auto bid. On average 8-10 teams are in the mix to advance so if you are number 11 and 12 then you are worrying about auto bid. Also this structure to win that does not kill off a pitching staff. Four games max you play with the top seeds able to play for possible just one win in pool to advance is better for your staff for the real prize starting a week later
dermdoc
AG
It is very fan unfriendly except for the two teams who keep winning. Unless you are a top 4 seed there is really no reason as a fan to go because you will have to play five games in five days just to reach the semis and nobody has that kind of pitching depth.
jkag89
Wicked Good Ag said:

I don't think the SEC is worried about an auto bid. On average 8-10 teams are in the mix to advance so if you are number 11 and 12 then you are worrying about auto bid. Also this structure to win that does not kill off a pitching staff. Four games max you play with the top seeds able to play for possible just one win in pool to advance is better for your staff for the real prize starting a week later
I understand all the arguments for why the ACC has this particular format, pool play still sucks from a competative standpoint.

I agree Hop, not a fair way to determine a tourney champ but a better competative format than pool play without overly stretching bullpens.
75AG
AG
Conference tournaments are ridiculous. Either you're in, or you don't belong in. Having an opportunity to negate a season's-worth of mediocrity with one good 4 day period is just...well...stupid.

Same for basketball, except those tournaments make a ****ton of money.
dermdoc
AG
Agree. But fortunately the NCAA committee has in the past recognized that and put very, very little emphasis on conference tourneys UNLESS you do not make it or you have a bad season and win it.
TheChameleon
AG
Or, you could look at it as a second chance to make good on your season for teams that had high expectations. Like East Carolina or Rice for example, who are still in the mix in their tournaments. There is also the intrigue of a total underdog coming out of nowhere & taking it down. That's where Cinderellas come from sometimes. People like that. Hate to break it to you but the conference tourneys aren't going anywhere, and they shouldn't. They're fun.
dermdoc
AG
Not if you actually travel to the tourney and go one and done and are stuck in Hoover. Trust me. They are fun to watch on tv.

Now if we had a setup like the Big 12 we would go every year.
75AG
AG
TheChameleon said:

Or, you could look at it as a second chance to make good on your season for teams that had high expectations. Like East Carolina or Rice for example, who are still in the mix in their tournaments. There is also the intrigue of a total underdog coming out of nowhere & taking it down. That's where Cinderellas come from sometimes. People like that. Hate to break it to you but the conference tourneys aren't going anywhere, and they shouldn't. They're fun.
Didn't they were going anywhere. I said they were ridiculous.
greg.w.h
AG
For P5 schools conference tournaments in almost all sports are superfluous. The teams that make the NCAA field might gain some advantage from playing during what is otherwise an off week and the conference might gain some economic benefit to hosting a tournament, and a few bubble teams get one last chance to get in (or in some cases prove they don't belong.) But notionally the season is a better place to focus attention.

With that said: baseball itself isn't amenable to tournament formats per se. It is possible to put together a pure double elimination with a completing three-game series (essentially copy the CWS format an invite the top eight), but all that does is highlight that the top eight teams get invited pretty much every year to the NCAA tournament anyway and you don't do anything for them except put national seeds at risk with an untoward loss.

I'm glad that the Big 12 has a venue that people like. Smart on their part to do that. Given the high meh factor of the SEC tourney, I think we're smarter to let the traditional SEC teams have their party in their location and focus instead on things we can control. I hate to repeat myself, but focusing on our current conference mates is a winning strategy. Looking back isn't.
Wicked Good Ag
With 12 teams in a tourney the ACC has it right. Not more than 4 games to win Advantage given to regular season results and at least two games for each team that attends.

I don't like three team pools but perfect for giving everyone a chance by winning first two
greg.w.h
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

With 12 teams in a tourney the ACC has it right. Not more than 4 games to win Advantage given to regular season results and at least two games for each team that attends.

I don't like three team pools but perfect for giving everyone a chance by winning first two
Compared to the current tournament, I'd agree pools are better. But I don't think it makes the SEC tournament a valuable stopping point for nationally competitive schools. It isn't.
twk
AG
The best argument that I can come up with for having a tournament for a league like the SEC is that just having the prospect of making the tournament helps keep teams playing to win up until the end. Without a tournament to play for, teams that aren't going to get an at large bid might decide to play for experience rather than playing to win the last three or four weeks, and that could affect who wins the championship (if one of the leaders faces such a team in the final stretch, when they have noting to play for).

I'd rather go to pool play. Yes, it is a contrived way to decide an auto bid, but it provides a decent fan experience while not taxing the pitching staffs.
dermdoc
AG
Agree.
Ag 11
AG
I enjoyed going to the Big 12 tournament. Haven't been to Hoover yet. I'm glad I didn't go this year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.