2017 NCAA Automatic Qualifiers

3,762 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
America East - Maryland-Baltimore County
AAC - Cougar High
ACC - Florida St.
Atlantic Sun - Florida Gulf Coast
Atlantic 10 - Davidson
BDF - Okie State
Big East - Xavier
Big South - Radford
B1G - Iowa
Big West - Long Beach St. (Regular Season Champ)
Colonial - Delaware
CUSA - Rice
Horizon - Illinois-Chicago
Ivy League - Yale (First appearance since attending the 1993 College Station Regional)
Metro Atlantic - Marist
Mid-American - Ohio
Mid-Eastern - Bethune-Cookman
Missouri Valley - Dallas Baptist
Mountain West - San Diego St.
Northeast - Central Connecticut
Ohio Valley - Tennessee Tech
Pac-12 - Oregon St. (Regular Season Champ)
Patriot League - Holy Cross
SEC - LSU
Southern - North Carolina-Greensboro
Southland - Sam Houston St.
SWAC - Texas Southern
Summit - Oral Roberts
Sun Belt - South Alabama
West Coast - BYU
WAC - Sacramento St.
CypressAg09
AG
It always seemed weird to me that conference tournament champions get an auto seed in basketball and baseball. Why reward one week of good play to potentially bump a team that's played well all season? Seems especially harsh for the smaller 1-bid leagues.
Mr.Ackar07
So far no upsets according to D1's projection: https://d1baseball.com/postseason/field-64-projection-may-23/

Long Beach St.
Yale
Bethune-Cookman
Oregon St.
Holy Cross
Texas Southern
SchizoAg
AG
CypressAg09 said:

It always seemed weird to me that conference tournament champions get an auto seed in basketball and baseball. Why reward one week of good play to potentially bump a team that's played well all season? Seems especially harsh for the smaller 1-bid leagues.
Because it's in the conference's interests to do so. Each conference get to decide how their auto-bid is determined, so they choose the method that maximizes their number of bids.

By going with the conference tourney champ, you're more likely to get more bids, since the regular season champ is more likely to merit an at-large bid.
I already have a dog
AG
That's a good start. We need chalk in the conference tourneys this year.
W
AG
let me tag onto this thread the surefire at-large locks that have been eliminated from their respective tournaments (or auto bids for the Big West and Pac-12). 33 at-large teams in total:

1. Fullerton...Big West

2. Louisville...ACC
3. Virginia
4. Clemson
5. Wake Forest
6. N.C.State
7. North Carolina

8. Baylor...Big 12
9. Oklahoma
10. Texas Tech
11. West Virginia
12. TCU
13 t.u.

14. Stanford...Pac-12
15. Arizona
16. UCLA

17. Vanderbilt...SEC
18. Miss State
19. Kentucky
20. Florida
21. Auburn
22. Arkansas

23. Indiana...B1G
24. Michigan
25. Nebraska

26. South Florida...AAC
27. Central Florida

28. SELU...Southland

29. Missouri State...MVC

30. Southern Miss...C-USA
-----

could only get to 30. We'll find out tomorrow who are the last 3
Sean98
AG
... And yet Cypress is completely right. It's unfair and stupid.

I LOATHE post season conference tournaments.

Edit: and yes, I even hated them last year when we won it.
TheChameleon
AG
Then the top seeds should take care of business against the bottom feeders and knock them out. Beat them & it won't be an issue. Dislike it all you want, but to discredit low seeds for making runs to tournament titles is depriving them of credit that they deserve for taking down the conference powerhouses.

Also, conference tourneys are nice because they allow teams who have had some bad luck- maybe decimated by injuries earlier in the season- to now show what they're capable of at full strength. Anyone who is crapping on the idea of conference tournaments, I would invite you to watch them more, especially in the non power conferences. Some of the games are extremely exciting and intense when your season is on the line in these tournaments. You might change your tune seeing the action and the passion. Unless you don't care about the sport outside A&M and the SEC.
Steph1995
AG
TheChameleon said:

Anyone who is crapping on the idea of conference tournaments, I would invite you to watch them more, especially in the non power conferences. Some of the games are extremely exciting and intense when your season is on the line in these tournaments. You might change your tune seeing the action and the passion.

I can attest to this having just gone and watched every game of the Southland tournament...
When the 2 top teams get knocked out early and you have 4 teams playing for their lives and their seasons, you see these boys put it all on the line!

Saw some great plays and great atmospheres in this environment!
W
AG
my one comment on this issue...which league should be penalized when a lower seed / bid-stealer wins the tournament.

do you think McNeese should be left out now since Sam Houston won the auto bid?

that might happen this year...fair or not fair
CypressAg09
AG
Do we have to root for the sips today or are both them and Oklahoma st already in?
jkag89
CypressAg09 said:

Do we have to root for the sips today or are both them and Oklahoma st already in?
Okie State's only hope to make make the NCAAs is to win the BDF tourney.
W
AG
not at the start of the game. But by 3pm or so...perhaps

(in response to Cypress)
Sean98
AG
I'm not crapping on conference tourneys because I don't like baseball, or because I don't think the kids play hard. And I've watched a LOT of these games over the years because I love baseball. I hate post season tourneys because they replace 4 MONTHS of playing hard with 4 days. You cannot, or at least should not, undo months of work in a weekend.

The only thing conference tournaments accomplish is to reward teams that haven't earned the reward over the full season. What the hell is the point of the season in a one bid league? Why even bother with the travel expenses? Just skip to the tournament and save a lot of time and money.

While we're at it lets add a week of round robin play at the end of the MLB season, then throw 162 games of results out the window and let a few games change the entire season.
Wicked Good Ag
I said this in another thread but after really looking it over I think the ACC got it right for a conference if it's size. If they make it three days of pool play (4 games each day) with 3 team pools the highest seed advances with a three way tie. It gives the worst regular season teams still a chance but rewards those who did much better in conference during season

No team plays more than four games so don't hurt pitching staff going forward and each team is guaranteed two games for the fans to make the trip.
CypressAg09
AG
Need rice to lose.
Wicked Good Ag
Maryland eliminated. This another spot on the bubble likey gone

SilverTongueDevil
We were ranked #25 in the Coaches poll this past Monday. We have a winning record in the SEC conference. There is no way we are getting left out.
I already have a dog
AG
Polls have nothing to do with anything. We are either a 3 seed or not in at all.
TheOC16
AG
Steph1995 said:

TheChameleon said:

Anyone who is crapping on the idea of conference tournaments, I would invite you to watch them more, especially in the non power conferences. Some of the games are extremely exciting and intense when your season is on the line in these tournaments. You might change your tune seeing the action and the passion.

I can attest to this having just gone and watched every game of the Southland tournament...

FIFY

The way you phrased it, I initially assumed you were going to disagree with him, which made reading the rest of the post confusing.
aginlakeway
AG
CypressAg09 said:

Need rice to lose.
And Okie State.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Steph1995
AG
Oops, thanks, yea that's what I meant...
Words definitely aren't my thing and it was late after a long day of watching baseball haha
W
AG
could only get to 30 for the at-large teams.

will be fun to see who are the last 3 in the field
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.