Select/Travel Baseball or not?

14,676 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HECUBUS
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sandman98 said:

It's really off the rails when people are singing praises of an organization because it doesn't cut 10 year old kids mid season.

Twelve deserves better than to have that be advertised as one of their strengths.
You're right - they do. But I would be writing a book about it. Better for the guy to do his own homework and decide what he wants for his kid.
TMartin
Did you enroll your son in one of those $50K a year private pre K and Kindergarten schools?
Thinice
Every situation is different for every family and every kid. There's no 100% right or wrong answer (unless you're throwing them too much).

My kid's played select since 7 and is two wins away from playing at Dell Diamond next weekend at the state tournament. He loves the game and works his tail off on his own, extremely proud of him.

His college account is fully funded, if he doesn't play college ball he wants to go to A&M. Not sure but he may try and walk on.

Looking back, no regrets.
HECUBUS
AG
Mine played 11 years then a PSAT score changed his life. I'm glad we didn't spend more money, but it was a blast. Fun. Nothing else matters. He still works out with his baseball buddies and he is still 15. He could go back if he wanted, but not likely. This summer is gone with an internship and college visits. Smart kid.
HECUBUS
AG
That could have been a good or bad score. The point being don't go overboard unless it's in the pursuit of fun. One day for any number of reasons, your future hall of famer might start thinking he has more pressing needs for his time. If you are lucky.
Phil Garner
GoAgs92 said:

You don't have to spend a fortune...my kid plays 9u select and it's less than $400 per kid for the season, we get to use pony fields for free and have some small sponsors. We practice 3 days a week when we have no games.

We never go far enough away to need a hotel, there are at least 5 big tourneys within 50 miles each weekend.

However there are other kids from his old team that pay from $150 - $350 per month and play for organizations...the twelve, stampede, Catchers University, and the Banditos...the only one I'd say was far better than us is the 12.

Twelve 9u is WAY less than $150 per month.
GoAgs92
AG

I looked it up, $85 a month in dues plus about $100+ in tourney fees per month.

A former player on our team plays for the Katy 12 and his dad said it's about $200 a month allin, is that not correct?

Artorias
AG
The chance of your child getting a scholarship to a decent college that would be equal to or surpass the monetary investment by playing years of Select ball, is realistically very small.

Phil Garner
GoAgs92 said:

I looked it up, $85 a month in dues plus about $100+ in tourney fees per month.

A former player on our team plays for the Katy 12 and his dad said it's about $200 a month allin, is that not correct?

I thought you were referring to just dues. Thanks for seeking clarification.

College Station 9u & 10u are $75/ month in dues. Katy has a different pricing structure than CS (can't remember specifics off the top of my head), but it's still less than most Houston "academy" teams. $85 for Katy is prob. close.

Math on tourn. fees is same as others...divided by number of players on the team. 8-10 tourns between end of Feb. and first week of June. Not sure what that averages out to...prob. $80- $130ish.
Phil Garner
mugwurt said:

The chance of your child getting a scholarship to a decent college that would be equal to or surpass the monetary investment by playing years of Select ball, is realistically very small.

Yep, the value should be beyond baseball. Not sure why some parents think it is appropriate for their kid to be cussed and demeaned by adults that can't control their behavior on or off the field. Poor leadership by the coach and parents.
HECUBUS
AG
The cost of all the baseball stuff we were doing was around 18k/year for a sophomore in HS. It goes up every year. I would not have believed that number two years ago. That doesn't include travel and lodging.
Phil Garner
HECUBUS said:

The cost of all the baseball stuff we were doing was around 18k/year for a sophomore in HS. It goes up every year. I would not have believed that number two years ago. That doesn't include travel and lodging.

That is about $14k-$15k too much.

I'm sorry you were asked to pay that.

So much hype, so little good/real/honest info. by organizations.
HECUBUS
AG
It was more than just select, strength training, batting and pitching coaches. Select ball isn't much. We were in 18 U since the boy turned 15. The high school does nothing.

His baseball friends are all still stuck in that grind. Summer schedule is 5 lifts a week, three strength training, four batting sessions, two practices and weekend tournaments all over. Ours did pitching also. He still lifts 5 days a week. Gold's, $35/month, nice.

That's not excessive, it's just about the minimum to make the team, unless you are in some way associated with football.

One more addition. They do all that plus stand around three hours three days a week for baseball "practice" and games twice a week. I estimate they spent three full weeks of baseball class sitting in the locker room, from what the kid told me. And probably another three weeks of field work as in weeding the field. I really don't see why anyone does High School baseball, the time requirements are insane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.