Alabama (Goff) attempts to pull scholarships?

4,538 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CrottyKid
allenb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess he is getting some pressure to win. How many of these players would want to stay after he essentially told them he wants to cut them.

https://www.tidesports.com/goff-tries-revoke-baseball-scholarships-violation-ncaa-rules/
Gizzards
AG
I was not aware of the change in the rule regarding scholarships being next to impossible to not renew. Previously all scholarships were renewed annually (or not).
W
AG
sounds like Goff was a little bit too aggressive.

he needs to tell the players that they are in jeopardy of being cut in fall ball or riding the bench next season. Then they will likely transfer out anyway
DogCompany74
AG
He should have known that just because Saban does it doesn't necessarily mean that any other NCAA coach can do it.
vwbug
https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-baseball-coach-greg-goff-dismissed/
KT 90
AG
vwbug said:

https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-baseball-coach-greg-goff-dismissed/

That didn't take long...
W
AG
whoa.

little Byrne didn't waste any time
W
AG
Goff had a 5-year contract paying $450k per season. Wonder if Bama will eat the $1.8 MM remaining
jkag89
Wondering the same thing? Is Geoff's attempt to circumvent NCAA rules a fire for cause event?
dirkjones
AG

Probably will not have to eat the contract since he violated NCAA rules.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
W said:

Goff had a 5-year contract paying $450k per season. Wonder if Bama will eat the $1.8 MM remaining
probably has a moral clause in the contract
vwbug
How long before they call the kentucky coach? He's a super star in the making.
twk
AG
jkag89 said:

Wondering the same thing? Is Geoff's attempt to circumvent NCAA rules a fire for cause event?
More than likely, yes. Otherwise, I can't imagine them being so quick to pull the trigger.
spanky
AG
vwbug said:

How long before they call the kentucky coach? He's a super star in the making.
I think you misspelled asshat...and he's already reached that level
waco_aggie05
AG
Is the Bama baseball gig that much better than UK?
twk
AG
waco_aggie05 said:

Is the Bama baseball gig that much better than UK?
That's a good question. Facility wise, it is, for the moment, although Kentucky is working on solving that (and may have the better facility when they are done). Recruiting-wise, I don't know. I don't think Alabama has one of those in-state scholarship programs like Louisiana and Georgia, so the competition may be a little more fierce at Bama. All in all, I have a hard time seeing why the Kentucky coach would be interested in the Bama job.
spanky
AG
Goff was always mentioning recruiting disadvantages and the schools with state lottery scholarships. I think he even mentioned it this year when talking to Louie B the week of our series.
W
AG
don't you know there are many head coaches not happy that Goff brought this situation to light.

i.e. they had plans to cut some players after the season was over...but now those players (and their parents) will say "oh, you're trying to pull my scholarship like that Alabama coach that got fired"
RGLAG85
AG
My understanding is scholarships are a year to year contract. Even though it was approved for the four year guaranteed scholarship, coaches won't do that because of the 11.7 limit. The new rule is they cannot reduce your scholarship annually so what they originally offer you is the minimum amount you'll get if they keep you all four years. Coaches use to reduce scholarships for upperclassmen but they can't anymore. Coaches ask players to leave all the time by telling them there will be no playing time for you if you stay. If you leave at the end of the year, your scholarship money is then available for the next year but if you leave or are asked to leave between semesters (Christmas break), your money will not be available for that spring.

That's my understanding but I may be wrong.
94chem
Quote:

Coaches ask players to leave all the time by telling them there will be no playing time for you if you stay.

Sweet - free school and I don't have to try any more. An unfaithful move that deserves reciprocation.
jkag89
94chem said:

Quote:

Coaches ask players to leave all the time by telling them there will be no playing time for you if you stay.

Sweet - Partially paid for school and I don't have to try any more. An unfaithful move that deserves reciprocation.
FIFY - It is an extreme rarity to receive a full athletic scholarship for baseball. I would imagine that any player with enough talent to be given a full ride to entice him to campus has dreams beyond college ball and would want to showcase that talent.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Is Geoff's attempt to circumvent NCAA rules a fire for cause event?
Yes, especially if this is a problem for the department as a whole, leading to risk for the football program.
RGLAG85
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

Sweet - free school and I don't have to try any more. An unfaithful move that deserves reciprocation.
Problem is you still have to go to practice and they can make your life a living hell if they want. You don't like it, all you can do is quit which is what they wanted to begin with.
94chem
Quote:

FIFY - It is an extreme rarity to receive a full athletic scholarship for baseball.
Sure, as I posted on the "select baseball" thread.

Maybe there's a market for a start-up company that helps athletes screw over programs that try to pull scholarships.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't think the scholarship snafu would qualify for a "for cause" firing, especially since there was no actual violation -- the scholarships weren't pulled. It was just an excuse to get rid of him, with the Bama brass clearly thinking things were not working out.

I suspect after negotiations, he'll end up with between 750K and a million.
Mr.Ackar07
Alabama has hired Auburn assistant coach Brad Bohannon

https://d1baseball.com/coaching-buzz/trend-continues-alabama-hires-bohannon/
Aston04
AG
W said:

Rounding error in Bama's budget... but since he broke NCAA rules (albeit probably one every NCAA D1 baseball coach breaks to some extent) they have leverage to force a more favorable buyout.. Basically a Coach Fran type scenario we had years ago.
Aston04
AG
spanky said:

Goff was always mentioning recruiting disadvantages and the schools with state lottery scholarships. I think he even mentioned it this year when talking to Louie B the week of our series.

definitely a huge advantage for LSU.

And on another note- what a dumb rule by the NCAA. The coaches have freaking 11.7 scholarships to juggle. Give them that few and they should be free to allocate what few resources they have. On the flip side, guys should be able to leave without sitting out, if reduced by their coach. Then let the market play out.
sixpakdad
Having lived in both cities, Lexington wins. Historically for baseball Alabama wins, but Kentucky can compete
CrottyKid
AG
And the UK coach is not an asshat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.