Bottom line is we can't hit a lick

8,902 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HoustonAg2106
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
except for Shewmake. So our pitching, defense, and base running have to be perfect. And I wonder what our team batting average is in SEC play with risp? Damn, it seems we have had terrible at bats with runners at second and/or third.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
I know the buck stops with Childress, but Bolt sure seems to be getting a pass this year. Our situational hitting is horrid. And I've never seen a team at this level that cannot bunt.
Capt. America
AG
Our scoring needs to be done without the necessity of the boomstick. Situational hitting, bunting, gap shots, and good baserunning needs to be things we work on going forward. I'm all about us raking the damn ball out of the park, but keeping a run rally going can be just as devastating to the opposition. Let's see what kind of changes develop in our style later.
Wicked Good Ag
Our bunting has been poorly executed but I would include all types of moving the runners over. If you have a runner on second with no outs then other than a hit back to the pitcher or third base you should advance the runner. And then the next person should be able to get a ball into the outfield to score. We haven't done those things. We have struck out which does nothing to advance the runner and usually it is done with our bat still on shoulders
Wicked Good Ag
And Derm I would put Chorby in the mix hitting wise over the latest team drop off
Hop
Staff
AG
It's a talent issue. There is very little hitting talent on this team. Unless they can get some of these highly regarded hitters from going pro, which has been very difficult for this staff to do over the years, that talent issue isn't going away.
HoustonAg2106
AG
That first game against Mississippi State we played probably our best game offensively of the season (at least best approach) and probably best overall game as well. Since then we are 1-6. WTF happened?

Ags76
AG
Hop said:

It's a talent issue. There is very little hitting talent on this team. Unless they can get some of these highly regarded hitters from going pro, which has been very difficult for this staff to do over the years, that talent issue isn't going away.
How do other teams get around this issue? It sure seems we can't do it, but there are plenty of other teams (like Arkansas) that seem to know how to keep highly regarded hitters in the fold.
Wabs
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Our bunting has been poorly executed but I would include all types of moving the runners over. If you have a runner on second with no outs then other than a hit back to the pitcher or third base you should advance the runner. And then the next person should be able to get a ball into the outfield to score. We haven't done those things. We have struck out which does nothing to advance the runner and usually it is done with our bat still on shoulders
This x1000

I can't tell you how many times this year where we have failed to "do your job" and move the runners. It frustrates the hell out of me. With this lineup, we have to take advantage of every single chance we get. Get a runner on second with no outs - put the damn ball on the ground to the right side. No...we seem to go up there and go for the "big hit" and inevitably K or hit a shallow pop.
Mike Elko
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

That first game against Mississippi State we played probably our best game offensively of the season (at least best approach) and probably best overall game as well. Since then we are 1-6. WTF happened?

I believe it's affectionately referred to as the Aggie Swoon... It happens down the stretch every single season in the three major sports. No cure's been found, so we be f'ed for the foreseeable future.
aginlakeway
AG
Ags76 said:

Hop said:

How do other teams get around this issue? It sure seems we can't do it, but there are plenty of other teams (like Arkansas) that seem to know how to keep highly regarded hitters in the fold.
This is a very fair question ...
Aggieangler93
AG
I know early in the year, we seemed to be more patient at the plate. Of course, we were mostly playing against chumps. I don't get watching anything close to the strike zone with 2 strikes in a critical situation. Every ump calls the game differently after 6 innings. As a baseball parent, I see this every game. The players that can make an adjustment and get a piece of anything close, are the best hitters. One of the best things about Boomer, was that he was a tenacious battler at the plate with 2 strikes and RISP. I think Shewmake will become that battler next year for us, because he is a great hitter now and our best chance in a pressure situation, but he has a bit more to mature. The main problem is, we need more than one, and we need them yesterday.

I still think beyond Shewmake, that Cole Bedford and Hunter Coleman are solid 90% of the time. I would move them BOTH up in the lineup.

Otherwise, we need to pick up some JUCO proven batters for next season.
Wicked Good Ag
Bedford looked to me last year as someone who would never hit a lick as a freshman but made tremendous strides going from well under .200 to over .300

I see Guiterrez and Foster being the same if they can fix the strikeout percentage. Add in Janca and Coleman we would need two freshman to step up and have a power hitter somewhere in the lineup.
Aggieangler93
AG
How many DIV1 schools are in Arkansas? I am not saying all their hitters are from there, but they have a larger talent pool with intentions to go to their top state school, than we will, as we have many top schools in Texas.

I think we do a good job of recruiting pitchers that are just rough enough not to go to the bigs from HS, but that we can mold into really good hurlers. I think Childress is known as a successful pitching coach nationally, so if we are in consideration, the pitcher will lean towards A&M.

I don't think we have the same situation with batters.

I will say that Bolt made a huge difference with Barash class when he came in. They all immediately showed more patience at the plate and a better approach.

I agree that some of this deals with the raw talent level of our upperclassmen, who are getting play time, as they should defensively, but may just not be as strong at the plate.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
TXAggie2011
AG
Well, Arkansas also has a small population. And different demographics.

But just change the comparison to Florida. Or the Carolinas.
BQ_90
AG
I thought the batter for them last night that did most of the damage was from Houston.
Wicked Good Ag
I think people are forgetting we are YOUNG in regards to college at bats. You replaced nearly the whole lineup with the exception of Chorby and Homan with either freshman or players who haven't had many college at bats. Add in Homan hitting .100 lower than last year and you could see the drop off coming. Shewmake's production mimics Boomer but different positions. no one else mimics the same production from the same position as last year. I think you have Coleman out on a first base glove move Guiterrez to second and infield is set WITHOUT any freshman/JUCO possibilities

Have Coleman get quite a few games catching and a few as DH and have him prepped for 2019 season as the backstop
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

U I am not saying all their hitters are from there, but they have a larger talent pool with intentions to go t
Seemed like half their lineup is from Texas.
Chomp214
AG
HOPE---we have had it for several years now and looks to continue. We hope all things come together and we once again, almost make it to the College World Series. This is not unfamiliar ground to me and my guess is to most who read these boards. Still HOPING FOR THE BEST.
Aggieangler93
AG
I can't argue with y'all on Texas boys being in their lineup, but I would bet you would be hard pressed to find a top 100 D1 school without some Texas kids in their program, as we have a ton of baseball talent in Texas. Now, whose to say why they chose Arky? Maybe Mom/Dad/Uncle went there? Maybe they didn't come up through Perfect Game, or Houston Banditos, or 12 baseball, or one of the select organizations our coaches favor for ease of recruiting talent. Who knows... Maybe they had a half scholarship available and we didn't, or what I see alot, is, what if they are an infielder at a position we are already stacked up at? If you had a chance to start at Arkansas, or play backup 2nd or short here, to 2 guys that will get 90% of the innings, and you will get your at bats at either place, which one would you pick?

There's some science to this, and some feel. Maybe they tried out for us, and we were too busy for them. Sometimes I see the "If you aren't 6'6 and 200 as a freshman, you won't pitch/hit at the next level" mentality from coaches. Who knows....maybe some of it is that type deal? Boomer only came here because he really wanted to be an Aggie. We weren't able to recruit him successfully our of high school.

I think coaches only see 30% of the talent out there, and sometimes, that is who is best connected politically, or has the best connected select team coaches. That doesn't always mean you are the best talent in your class. But, if you recruit that way, which it seems A&M mainly does, then there are lots of kids that could potentially help out, that you don't get to see.
TempleAg97
AG
I think this is the baseball board post of the year. We have lots of issues (baserunning, can't get bunts down, Homan has no range), but really the bottom line is we just can't hit. Period. End of story.

The pitchers HAVE TO have the number one ERA in the SEC, the Ags can't commit an error, we can't have bad calls or bad luck, or the Ags lose.

I think the best we can hope for this year is the next couple weeks the pitching and defense is great and the calls and luck go our way. It's possible. It's also what we pretty much have to have.
Aggieangler93
AG
I can't argue with you. That's a lot of pressure, and I hope we don't bend an ounce!
Aggieangler93
AG
He may have been. I was listening on the radio mostly, picking up my kid from baseball practice. You can't land them all, and I can't honestly say I know what our recruiting process looks like. I have seen some videos of Bolt or Seely talking to Select teams in Houston Banditos, and I know some kids that have been picked up the last few years, so I ask them questions, but I have no clue what really goes on inside.

It sure as hell can't be easy to do, with the amount of competition out there, and I think we do a good job of it, as most. I am not sure how you get the rep for the top hitters to want to choose us over other places. Not sure what that looks like.

I know more Omaha appearances wouldn't hurt....but that is chicken and egg, right?
dirkjones
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Otherwise, we need to pick up some JUCO proven batters for next season.

I don't remember his name but ags signed the top JUCO homerun guy a few weeks ago. Was batting over 400 plus around 15 hrs. Add in the transfer Andritos and we should have lots more power next year.
Aggieangler93
AG
If the JUCO guys can cut it academically, the nice part of the deal is that they have proven themselves at the point we pick them up, at least as someone that can hit pitching that is almost as good as D1.
BrandoC
AG
Bolts job really needs to come into question. Every year TexAgs comments that we have "all these great recruits that are great men" this that and another but if so and we still cannot hit, that is Bolts fault. I mean he is the dang hitting coach for petes sake. If not Bolts fault we are not recruiting good baseball players.
Wicked Good Ag
We were a pretty good hitting team last year

I am not disagreeing or agreeing but if no credit to Bolt last year why is it completely on him this year

The fact that they are basically entire different offensive teams means different approaches and if Bolt's approach doesn't work with this group then he needs to make adjustment but I can't believe any coach says strike out looking as much as you can so plate approach also falls on the actual players. It is a different type of pressing this year from last year
W
AG
the player that hit the 2-run homer in the 8th inning is from Missouri City, TX.

the player that hit the 2-run homer in the 10th inning is from Illinois.

Van Horn is simply better at recruiting, scholarship allocation, and roster management
W
AG
one interesting thing there...A&M hasn't had a great juco hitter on the team since Juengel (2010-12).

haven't recruited the juco ranks as hard the last 5 years or haven't hit on a ringer
Mike88
AG
The "young" statement isn't applicable when some of the worst AB's are coming from seniors or even a second year guy like Janca. We don't attack when the count is in our favor and we aren't protective when it is a pitcher's count. Poster above made a good point about Boomer, he could protect the plate with two strikes and would at least put the ball in play. The # of strikeouts this year is mind numbing especially K's looking. Arkansas approach at plate last night was well done. 15 hits, including 4 from the kid from ridge point, and driving up Hill's pitch count by battling when they had two strikes. And it was all nine guys doing it.
Wicked Good Ag
Young in terms of at bats regardless of classification. Janca started season ...tanked at plate and after a few at bats Homan started hitting Pennington some at bats. No college at bats for most part from Kopetsky Blake Shewmake Davis Guiterrez Foster Coleman Bedford which along with Chorby and Homan is our lineup. Young is how I would indeed describe our lineup in terms of collegiate plate appearances

hogfan14
BQ_90 said:

I thought the batter for them last night that did most of the damage was from Houston.

If you're talking about Biggers we signed him out of a JUCO. In fact the only reason we noticed him is because we missed a regional last year so we were at the JUCO World Series scouting while the NCAA tournament was going on lol.

Do you guys recruit California at all? I wouldn't think you'd need to since Texas has so much talent, but we usually sign a couple from there every year that want to play in the SEC since we're closer than teams like Florida or South Carolina. We also take the best players from states where college baseball is nonexistent (like New Jersey) and combine it with our best in-state players and the players we get from Texas. We don't really recruit the southeast at all.
BQ_90
AG
Mostly all Texas boys. We have some out of state, from Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oregon. Not sure when the last Cali player we had.
W
AG
and looking ahead to 2018...and perhaps stating the obvious...

among Gutierrez, Coleman, C. Blake, and Foster...at least 2 of these guys have to make the jump to a .300 hitter in conference play with some x-base pop.

the Ags will miss Choruby. His SEC batting average is .304
75AG
AG
W said:

and looking ahead to 2018...and perhaps stating the obvious...

among Gutierrez, Coleman, C. Blake, and Foster...at least 2 of these guys have to make the jump to a .300 hitter in conference play with some x-base pop.

the Ags will miss Choruby. His SEC batting average is .304
Not to derail this thread, but in addition to hitting, we need some outfield arms. We have no chance of throwing anyone out at home.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.