Baton Rouge Recommendations

2,954 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlphaBean
LSU Baseball Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As promised, I will give y'all a detailed list of recommended restaurants, golf courses, and other attractions to maximize your visit to the Capital City.

I don't have time to get into it right now, but I'll edit this post later tonight and put in my recommendations. Hopefully it'll be done by tomorrow. I hope the weather stays beautiful like it is right now, and you all have a safe and happy experience in Louisiana.

Tex-Mex/Mexican Restaurants

Nando's- Located on Coursey Lane @ Hickory Ridge Blvd. I have no idea why this place isn't more popular. The food is fantastic, with very generous portions, and great prices. I've never, ever had to wait for a table there. Recommend the burritos with Steak Fajita, but pretty much everything on the menu that I have tried in my dozen or so visits is great.

El Paso Mexican Grill- Located on Coursey @ South Sherwood Forest. Very similar to Nando's, but I slightly prefer Nando's. Normal Tex-Mex prices, but El Paso has a great atmosphere at night, and the fajitas are excellent. Bean dip is also very good. This in a highly congested area of town, so don't be surprised if traffic is bad and parking spots are hard to come by.

Ahuua's Mexican Restaurant- On Jones Creek Road in a strip mall by Grand Cinema. The sign ouside simply says "Mexican Restaurant", so don't be fooled. If you want delicious authentic Mexican cuisine, this is the place to go. It is pricey compared to the other two, but the food is fantastic.

Avoid Las Palmas, although most of them have been put out of business by superior restaurants. I didn't realize how bad Las Palmas is/was until I explored the ones listed above. They completely changed my view of Mexican cuisine after years of average-at-best meals at Las Palmas.

Burgers

Burgersmith- Located on Acadian Thruway @ Perkins Road, right outside campus. Fantastic burgers, complemented by a great selection of beers, and also fantastic ice cream. I recommend the Strawberry ice cream, which is in season. If there's a better reasonably-priced burger in town, I am not aware of it.

We have all the usual chains, if you like those. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Five Guys, even a few Whataburgers.

BBQ

TJ Ribs- On Acadian Thruway, right outside campus. Most things on the menu are very pricey, but the portions are generous and the food is fantastic. Widely considered the best in town. Popular spot for LSU coaches to eat. Les Miles had his own reserved parking spot. Don't expect an easy parking spot, any time of day. This place is popular.

VooDoo BBQ & Grill- Cheaper than TJ Ribs. More like your standard BBQ menu, but I believe the head chef is Haitian, and some of the menu has a bit of a Carribean twist, if you're into that. I often order several pounds of their shredded pork when I'm too lazy to make sloppy joes for parties. Delicious.

Pizza

Reginelli's Pizzeria- Wide variety of toppings, if you're adventurous with your pizza.
Rotolo's Pizzeria- Great Italian food all around. I recommend the calzones.
Cici's Pizza- All you can eat buffet for $5 each. Great if you need to feed hungry kids.

Others

Louie's Cafe- Open 24/7, this family-owned diner right off State Street on the north of campus has been around since World War II. Don't expect anything fancy, but they have great breakfast and diner-type food. Think of it like a superior version of Waffle House. Louie's pretty much got me through late-night study sessions as an undergrad. Great place to go if you get the late night munchies.

Bistro Byronz- Located on Government St. Excellent mix of food, with a focus on more local dishes. Popular place, so parking is tight.

Mike Anderson's- Very pricey, but fantastic Cajun-themed steak and seafood restaurant. Fish tanks everywhere create a cool ambiance as you eat. Great for dates when you forget your wife's birthday or anniversary. Famous onion rings, and they also serve alligator, if you're adventurous. It's quite good.

Raising Cane's- If you like Cane's, it started here in Baton Rouge. The original is actually on campus at State Street. Recommend ordering your chicken fingers extra crispy, which is how they used to come standard until a few years ago. Better than Zaxby's, in my opinion.

South of Philly Cheesesteaks- Located on Sherwood Forest Blvd. As the name would imply, this is a cheesesteak place. I recommend the 12'' with onions and fries. Bad for your arteries, but good for your soul.

The Chimes- Multiple locations, including one on campus right by Cane's. Classy restaurant, specializing in Louisiana cuisine and seafood. Beware, lines can be long.

Portobello's Italian Restaurant- Multiple locations, but I go to the one by Ahuua's off of Coursey. Great pasta, seafood, and steaks. I highly recommend the Shrimp & Crab Alfredo pasta.

Newk's Eatery- On Corporate Blvd. Great "artisan" food. Soup, salads, sandwiches, pasta, and other stuff. It's all good, and made from quality ingredients. I recommend the mac and cheese with bacon, and a roast beef sandwich.

Texas de Brazil- Expensive as hell, but if you have $50 each to spend, it's all you can eat of incredible food. Located in Perkins Rowe, which is not far from the Mall of Louisiana on Bluebonnet Blvd.

P.F. Chang's- If you don't mind paying top dollar for 5-star Chinese food, we have a Chang's on Corporate, right by Newk's. There's a Panda Express on College if Chang's is too pricey.

Zorba's Greek Bistro- Best Greek food in town, made and staffed by actual Greeks. I think the cheapest entree there is like $20, but the food is very good. Located on Esssen Lane, which can be a traffic nightmare at times.

Serop's Caf- Lebanse & Mediterranean food. Reasonable prices, and I recommend the gyros platter. There are multiple locations in town, the one on Corporate is the best, in my opinion.

Bonefish Grill- On Corporate by Chang's and Newk's. Great variety of seafood dishes.

Bowling

Don Carter's- Located on Airline by a Motel 6 in a somewhat seedy area of town, so just watch yourself if you go at night. Very clean compared to most bowling alleys in town. Good bar, and there are 64 lanes, so you can pretty much always walk in and get a lane immediately.

Golf

LSU Golf Course- Located on the other side of Gourrier Avenue, right by Alex Box Staudium. Beautiful 18-hole course with a driving range. My favorite course to play. It gets very busy on the weekends, so you might want to call ahead and see if you need to reserve a tee time.

Webb Golf Course is good if you only have time for a quick game. 9 holes, and not far from campus.

There are other courses in town, but those are the closest to where I presume most of you will be staying.

Shopping/Movies

Mall of Louisiana- On Bluebonnet Blvd. Second largest mall in the country. You name it, you can buy it there. Also has a movie theater.

Perkins Rowe- Beautiful new complex right down the street from the Mall of Louisiana, with shops, restaurants, and a movie theater. Parking can be a hassle, but it's a great place to enjoy the night.

AMC Movie Theater- Located by the interstate exit to O'Neal Lane. A good place to catch a movie, but I think Grand Cinema is a better values for those that don't care about watching movies on IMAX screens.
Schrute
LSU Baseball Fan is good people
zagman
AG
It is impossible to have a safe experience in Baton Rogue when you have to travel I-10 across the bridge to get there. I-10 Baton Rouge has to be the most dangerous freeway in the nation.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
67walkon
Laberge
NewAggieBallFan
It's Baton Rouge not Baton Rogue. Was over there in February and had no issues on I 10. You just need to get in town before 4pm traffic. Great Cajun food at several restaurants. Just ask LSUbaseballfan.
Aggie
AG
Mike Andersons and Walkons
You're welcome
mgreen
Get over that bridge before 3 pm or you will park on I-10 as the refinery workers get off work.
TXAggie2011
AG
Never felt unsafe in the bridge. Usually you're not moving fast enough anyways.
ensign_beedrill
AG
To me, the bridge over Atchafalaya Basin is scarier than the one over the Mississippi. It's so long it becomes monotonous and my brain hurts and my eyes hurt and I start having intrusive thoughts.
LSU Baseball Fan
Stay tuned. I'm slowly adding things.
twk
AG
Looks like I'm going to have a fair amount of time to kill on Friday. Last time, I went downtown and checked out the old capitol and the "new" capitol. I'm thinking about making a trip over to look at Oak Alley. Do you think it's worth it (for a history buff). Is there something more interesting (or closer to BR) that I should look at instead?
dermdoc
AG
Thanks lsu fan!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MAROON
AG
The Chimes
Roberto's River Road
George's (dive bar)
Kemo Sabe
Coffee Call! Beignets for breakfast. Coffee is great too.
LSU Baseball Fan
Ah, how could I forget Coffee Call? Thanks.

Fantastic beignets and coffee. I think open 24/7, as well. Closest thing we have to Cafe DuMonde in BR.
LSU Baseball Fan
twk said:

Looks like I'm going to have a fair amount of time to kill on Friday. Last time, I went downtown and checked out the old capitol and the "new" capitol. I'm thinking about making a trip over to look at Oak Alley. Do you think it's worth it (for a history buff). Is there something more interesting (or closer to BR) that I should look at instead?
Oak Alley is beautiful, right by where my dad grew up in Vacherie.

So is Rosedown planation in St. Francisville. Both are about 45 minute drives.

I highly recommend either, as a fellow history buff.

There are some historical sites along River Road, but I've never been.

LSU Baseball Fan
And yeah, I recommend y'all cross the Mississippi River bridge between 10am and 2pm. That'll put you after the morning work rush, but get you into BR before everyone gets off work. Roughly 900K people live in the Baton Rouge area, but many of those people commute to work in other parishes, which leads to a TON of traffic. Just be warned. Never try crossing the bridge with less than a 1/3 tank of gas, or you might not make it to a gas station if it gets really bad.

Also the parking at baseball games is packed for SEC games, so get there early. There are buses that travel around the lots to shuttle people to the stadium, so that could save you a walk. Usually, police help the traffic flow after the game, so don't be surprised if your pre-planned route is detoured.
mgreen
Drove from College Station to Lake Charles after work. Thought it would be safer with bad weather on Thursday. Bad move. Took 3 hours to drive from Orange to Lake Charles which is 40 miles. I drove into the worst weather I have ever seen. Basically drove 5-10 miles and got off I-10 when it got so bad I could not see out of my windsheild. Did it four times. Flooding everywhere. I think I used up one of my lives tonight .
LSU Baseball Fan
Oh, and if anyone tells you to go to Reggie's or Fred's in Tigerland, don't do it. They're likely trolling you. Or they're college kids that don't know any better

Very trashy, seedy bars populated by lots of obnoxious undergrads. I hated both as a student, and they're even worse now. Fights all the time.

Far better and classier bars around campus than those two establishments.
LSU Baseball Fan
Yikes. Stay safe out there.

After a week of beautiful, almost perfect weather, of course we're getting rain tonight and well into tomorrow. The radar I'm looking at right now has the brunt of the storm missing BR, but the area between Beaumont and Lafayette is getting hammered. We'll see how the weather affects BR, and if that has any ramifications on the game tomorrow night.

My area is under a tornado watch until 3 AM, but I think that's just precautionary. Check the weather before any of you leave your hotels and houses tomorrow. I'll give updates as I get them.
twk
AG
Made it to campus. Having lunch at the Chimes.
dermdoc
AG
About an hour and a half away. Going to try out Bistro Byronz
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LSU Baseball Fan
Slight chance of rain right before game time. If that misses, we should be able to play no problem. It not, it could be a late finish.
LSU Baseball Fan
Unfortunately, there's no Mike VII for y'all to see yet. Hopefully there is for football season.

The LSU Vet School is looking for a cub, and Bengal tiger Cubs are very hard to get, as you can imagine.
dermdoc
AG
Good call on Bistro Byronz. Thanks again.
LSU Baseball Fan
dermdoc said:

Good call on Bistro Byronz. Thanks again.
I'm glad you liked it.
pudge
2nd that at Louie's Cafe. Omelets are huge, and the super club plus Cajun fries is way too much for this fat man to eat... if you go in the morning and sit at the bar, usually Frenchie (the cook) will be holding court and *****ing about the LSU coaches... when he's on a roll, its hilarious.

AgFlyGuy
AG
No mention of Parrains? One of my favorite places in BR.
dermdoc
AG
Aggielax1 said:

We have eaten at Parrains and it is a great spot. The times of the games kind of limit you on eating a nice, long meal. We are eating at the new Bullfish at our hotel before the game tonight.
Cancelled
AG
How's the Applebees?
jja79
AG
Aggielax1 said:

Those grilled oysters are amazing.
LSU Baseball Fan
Parrains is great, too. I forgot we also have a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse right by I-12. Expensive, but very good.
dermdoc
AG
LSU Baseball Fan said:

Parrains is great, too. I forgot we also have a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse right by I-12. Expensive, but very good.
That is tomorrow night. The Baton Rouge Ruth's Chris is one of the best in the chain I have been too.
LSU Baseball Fan
queso1 said:

How's the Applebees?

I believe there's one on Airline. I've never been, but my friend got food poisoning there. There's a Golden Corral on Sherwood Forest, as well.

If you want to try authentic French cuisine (like France French, not Louisiana French) there's a place called Maison Lacour by N. Harells Ferry Rd. Looks like a small white house, but is actually a great little restaurant. Dress well, or they might not serve you. Great for dates. I love the beef medallions.

The food is very rich, so I only go like once a year. My pallette is more suited to country fried steaks. You might want to call ahead to see if you need a reservation, but usually you can just walk in.
cwpaggie07
AG
There is a dive bar/pizza joint close to Bistro Byronz called Fleur De Lis... Great pizza
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.