32 games to go

3,117 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rocco S
I already have a dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Plus the conference tourney and hopefully something else....

IT IS NOT OVER. THIS SEASON CAN BE SAVED. LET'S NOT ***** AND MOAN LIKE WE ARE THE ZOO OR BASKETBALL BOARD. THIS IS THE BASEBALL BOARD. LET'S SUPPORT THE TEAM, KEEP THE BUBBLES READY, AND PREPARE TO WIN SOME GAMES.

TempleAg97
AG
Might as well.
Schrute
Talmbout!!
W
AG
one small note...only the top 12 teams in the league standings qualify for the SEC tournament.

it usually takes 9 or 10 conference wins to make the field and avoid finishing 13th or 14th.

the series against Alabama and Tennessee will be crucial
Ragoo
AG
No offense, pun intended, this team is not going very far or to the post season.
I already have a dog
AG
W said:

one small note...only the top 12 teams in the league standings qualify for the SEC tournament.

it usually takes 9 or 10 conference wins to make the field and avoid finishing 13th or 14th.

the series against Alabama and Tennessee will be crucial

Valid concerns but I just don't see us finishing 13th or 14th. We will win some games.
I already have a dog
AG
Ragoo said:

No offense, pun intended, this team is not going very far or to the post season.

Who knows? Last two years we went cold in the post season after being hot all year. Maybe this year we get hot at the right time after sneaking in to a Regional as a 3.
Ragoo
AG
TylerAg95 said:

Ragoo said:

Who knows? Last two years we went cold in the post season after being hot all year. Maybe this year we get hot at the right time after sneaking in to a Regional as a 3.
going into a hole is easier than coming out of one

0-6 would be almost the grand canyon of holes.
I already have a dog
AG
Ragoo said:

TylerAg95 said:

Ragoo said:

I think we can all agree that it is time to quit digging the hole. .. What is the worst conference record that would like get us a Regional bid? That has to be the goal at this point.
Ragoo
AG
TylerAg95 said:

Ragoo said:

TylerAg95 said:

Ragoo said:

I think we can all agree that it is time to quit digging the hole. .. What is the worst conference record that would like get us a Regional bid? That has to be the goal at this point.
we play at LSU and Auburn next two weekends. We could be sitting at 3-9 or worse and finding a way to get back to .500, I just don't see it happening.
W
AG
the 2013 team got into a regional with a 13-16 conference mark (and Eric Hyman on the selection committee).

if you ask the Baseball America and D1 Baseball experts...4 years later they still can't explain how the 2013 team got an at-large bid
Ragoo
AG
W said:

the 2013 team got into a regional with a 13-16 conference mark (and Eric Hyman on the selection committee).

if you ask the Baseball America and D1 Baseball experts...4 years later they still can't explain how the 2013 team got an at-large bid
which means we are already done or could be after next weekend.
BanderaAg956
16.67% conference winning percentage after six (6) games = 1-5. Pitching is still a huge problem, hitting is just as bad as pitching, fielding is struggling, and coaching is amazingly poor.... series improvement is required, Seniors are not getting it done. Might as well play all freshmen and sophomores, it provides a built in excuse, we didn't recruit and retain players well the last four years so we are young and rebuilding, it's only been 10-11 years, you can't build a program overnight!
Capitol Ag
AG
32-0!!!!! LET'S DO THIS!!!!!
twk
AG
W said:

We had an RPI of 32. That's how. It's not automatic, but if your RPI is better than 35, and you aren't completely underwater in conference play (there have been some SEC teams with RPIs in the 20s, but worse records than 13-16 who were passed over), then you are at least on the bubble.

Our RPI today is 70. It will go up as we go through SEC play, but we probably will need something like 14-16 in conference play to have any shot at getting the RPI number we need, and being seriously considered by the committee.
W
AG
what the pundits pointed to was A&M's dreadful 10-20 record vs. the top 50 and only 1 series win (at Ole Miss) against a team that made the field of 64 and an awful 6-13 road mark. And of course the 13-16 conference record and overall record of 32-27 on selection day. They credit Hyman for getting A&M into the field
twk
AG
W said:

what the pundits pointed to was A&M's dreadful 10-20 record vs. the top 50 and only 1 series win (at Ole Miss) against a team that made the field of 64 and an awful 6-13 road mark. And of course the 13-16 conference record and overall record of 32-27 on selection day. They credit Hyman for getting A&M into the field
That may have been the thinking at the time, but future events showed Hyman had no influence with the committee at all. He was a big fat zero. A 32 RPI is what did it for us.
Tex100
AG
twk said:

W said:

That may have been the thinking at the time, but future events showed Hyman had no influence with the committee at all. He was a big fat zero. A 32 RPI is what did it for us.
txjortsagent
AG
Everyone knows if you actually watch baseball that the hottest team in the end wins it all.

We aren't out of **** yet.
histag10
AG
W said:

As horrible as it sounds, especially if you love the game and want everything to be fair, I honestly would imagine that some of it had to do with being A&M. We consistently draw large crowds and tv viewership, and there are a good number of fans who travel. That may have been alluring over a team who is historically bad whose fan base is lacking. I'm not saying its right, but i'm sure it happens. Everyone involved in the NCAA is drawn to the green.

Just my opinion.

Who were the bubble teams in 2013 that missed an at large bid?
nereus
AG
They sent us to Oregon that year. I think that was a rare year without any Texas teams hosting, but if they would have sent us to a Texas regional our traveling and attendance could have an impact. How many people went up to Oregon to watch us play that year?

They thought we were better than the experts did. That happens every year with the experts disagree with the committee on a few picks. We made it to the regional final that year so we did our best to make the committee look good.
nereus
AG
I think the big head scratcher wasn't that we got into the tournament. We were a bubble team. A lot of pundits thought we were on the wrong side of the bubble but we were on the bubble. I think the big head scratcher was that they gave us a 2 seed as opposed to a 3 seed implying we weren't even on the bubble in the committee's mind.
Rocco S
W said:

Without a major turnaround this year, and maybe last night will spark one, we are headed for our 3rd losing SEC record in 5 years. So when this year is talked about in terms of "rebuilding" or "RC getting one year of leeway" I just don't think those are accurate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.