Annnnnnd it's gone!

68,219 Views | 397 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trouble
Maroon Dawn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another disappointing season of Aggie Baseball wrapped up this weekend!

See you all again next year when the hype train starts rolling about how RC leads us to a NC and instead we make a 5th place SEC finish and a regional appearance which secures RC a well earned 5 year extension and raise!
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Bookmarked.
Rojo Grande
Though I'm not a huge fan of RC, I can't rationally hang this on him. We're young and we all knew once we hit conference play it was going to be exposed.
W
AG
the pitching staff is not young.

A&M started a sophomore vs. Vandy today.

and likewise Vandy started a sophomore vs. A&M
powerbelly
AG
Rojo Grande said:

Though I'm not a huge fan of RC, I can't rationally hang this on him. We're young and we all knew once we hit conference play it was going to be exposed.

No excuse for this in year 11
75AG
AG
Rojo Grande said:

There is no excuse for letting this program sink to this level. RC should be fired for allowing this to happen.
Buford T. Justice
AG
75AG said:

Rojo Grande said:

There is no excuse for letting this program sink to this level. RC should be fired for allowing this to happen.

But he's an excellent pitching coach.
But we have OF@BBP
But we're young
But the umps hosed us

If "if's and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all be singing a happy song."
aginlakeway
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

See you all again next year when the hype train starts rolling about how RC leads us to a NC and instead we make a 5th place SEC finish and a regional appearance which secures RC a well earned 5 year extension and raise!
So you will not be posted on the baseball boards any more this season?
AggieBand2004
AG
aginlakeway said:

Maroon Dawn said:

So you will not be posted on the baseball boards any more this season?
We can only hope
jkag89
75AG said:

Rojo Grande said:

Would have you fired Jim Schlossnagle for TCU's 2012 season? If not, why not?
I already have a dog
AG
We've been to two straight Super Regionals. The program is not at a low level. The team is having a bad season. There is a difference. We will reload and be much better next year. (Although to be honest I haven't written this year off just yet...)
Scorebook
AG
Umps aren't hosing this team, they are hosing themselves.
jkag89
Scorebook said:

Umps aren't hosing this team, they are hosing themselves.
Based upon his post this season, I'm certain that was Mr. Justice attempting to be funny and/or sarcastic.
75AG
AG
jkag89 said:

75AG said:

Rojo Grande said:

Would have you fired Jim Schlossnagle for TCU's 2012 season? If not, why not?
They had a super regional team in 2012. So, no.
jkag89
Sorry, a typo. I meant the 2013 season. Again if not, why not?
fightinag
TEXAS A&M ATHLETICS,,,,,,,
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
75AG
AG
jkag89 said:

He took a historically poor performing program, with ZERO national success, very poor facilities, and turned the program around. In ONE year. That alone gets him one (if not a few) bad years. He's had ONE.

So, no, I would not have fired him.
jkag89
75AG said:

jkag89 said:

He took a historically poor performing program, with ZERO national success, very poor facilities, and turned the program around. In ONE year. That alone gets him one (if not a few) bad years. He's had ONE.

So three Top 10 finishes over the previous six seasons earns RC absolutely no leeway? What if he somewhat rights the ship and the team finishes strong?
75AG
AG
jkag89 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

So three Top 10 finishes over the previous six seasons earns RC absolutely no leeway? What if he somewhat rights the ship and the team finishes strong?
I hope he does. I have no faith he will. This team is made up of poor performing seniors, and unproven freshmen. My original point is, and remains, he should have never allowed this program to get to this point.
Foxo
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Bye Sunshine!
jkag89
75AG said:

jkag89 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

I hope he does. I have no faith he will. This team is made up of poor performing seniors, and unproven freshmen. My original point is, and remains, he should have never allowed this program to get to this point.
What point? A truly crappy string of games? Again no leeway at all for 3 Top Ten finishes over the previous six seasons? All seniors but Kopetsky, who was injured, played important roles last year, now they are nothing but crap?
75AG
AG
jkag89 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

ESorry, a typo. I meant the 2013 season. Again if not, why not?

What point? A truly crappy string of games? Again no leeway at all for 3 Top Ten finishes over the previous six seasons? All seniors but Kopetsky, who was injured, played important roles last year, now they are nothing but crap?
Calm down. Who sad anything about crap, or crappy players. If you've watched any games this year, you have to admit the seniors have not performed well. And outside of Shew (and occasionally Foster) neither have the freshmen. My point remains, and you've said nothing to refute it, is that RC let us get in this position. Recruiting is HIS job. And for fielding a team in 2017, he failed miserably. Forget his lack of getting this team to Omaha, his failure to field a competitive team in year 11 is completely unacceptable.
jja79
AG
Top 10 finishes don't mean crap. Omaha. He's 0 for 11 years and 0 for 12 is likely.
jkag89
75AG said:

jkag89 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

ESorry, a typo. I meant the 2013 season. Again if not, why not?

Calm down. Who sad anything about crap, or crappy players. If you've watched any games this year, you have to admit the seniors have not performed well. And outside of Shew (and occasionally Foster) neither have the freshmen.
I'm not irate. Really, I'm not. I've watched all the games this year. I'm am disappointed that none of the seniors have stepped up this season like Alleman and Nau did in 2015. I would not classify the play of Choruby or Davis as poor. Homan solidified our lineup last season, yet now he is somehow a miss? Pennington showed enough to be recruited by TCU, I don't think he was shown the door by Schloss, so when he came available after a JUCO year it would seem he was worth the risk. I guess you're a better judge of talent than I am, I see a great deal of potential in our current batch of fish. Sure it would be great if they could all jump in and perform like Shew out of the gate, but really how often do you see that?
Quote:

My point remains, and you've said nothing to refute it, is that RC let us get in this position. Recruiting is HIS job. And for fielding a team in 2017, he failed miserably. Forget his lack of getting this team to Omaha, his failure to field a competitive team in year 11 is completely unacceptable.
Yes the current state of the team is his fault, or at least the Buck Stops with RC being the head coach. Whether it because of misses on recruiting or some other reason, this team certainly not performing at anywhere close to acceptable standards to this point of the season. My question to you originally was simply to assess levels of leeway based upon past performance. Obviously you believe RC deserves none, fair enough.
jkag89
jja79 said:

Top 10 finishes don't mean crap. Omaha. He's 0 for 11 years and 0 for 12 is likely.
The argument that RC has had enough time to get the program to the level of achieving semi-regular trips to the CWS is something I'll accept as a valid point. Again I'm merely assessing the level of leeway RC might have earned, I guess I should have expected none since he recieves no credit for anything good the team has done in his tenure. The zero wins in Omaha is a pretence, your opinion of RC would still be the same whether the team pulled out a win or two or not in their '11 trip.
jja79
AG
The 0 wins in Omaha isn't a pretense. It's a fact. How much time does it take?
jkag89
jja79 said:

The 0 wins in Omaha isn't a pretense. It's a fact. How much time does it take?
Would your opinion of RC be one iota different if the 2011 team won a game or two in the CWS? If the answer is no then boiling down RC's tenure at A&M as zero wins in Omaha is a pretense. I accept as a valid point that you think he has had ample time to get the program to an elite level, semi-frequent trips to Omaha, and believe based on that a change is in order.
Luke The Drifter
AG
RC is going to have to do better, period. We can't let in-state rivals eliminate us in the post-season year after year. That just cannot happen. Rice, then Texas, then TCU. At some point, RC has got to get the Aggies to the King of the State level and to date he has not done so.

RC has put together some good teams at A&M. And when he's put together great teams, they've peed down their legs in May and June. Childress deserves a lot of credit for being a good coach for us. But there is nothing that qualifies him as a great coach. Absolutely nothing.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Capitol Ag
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Don't see the point of starting a thread like this. Are we supposed to pat you on the back and congratulate you or something?
tmaggie50
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Lol. But seriously. What a joke. This team is PPPASTTHHEETTIICCC
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Omaha is all that matters. RC has failed. It's also disgusting how his teams piss down their leg anytime they play an old instate rival. The fact that he couldn't get last year's team to Omaha should have gotten him fired. No question. A&M deserves much better than this crap.
Kemo Sabe
Rob's window of opportunity is closing fast, If not already closed. Wayne grahams window has closed, at Rice and he has had much more CWS success than rob has had.

Younger more energetic coaches have come on the scene that have stolen the older coaches thunder. Schlosnagel at TCU is the big one, tech is another that has had more CWS success than rob has had. Texas and Baylor have new, younger head coaches that are going to be out working rob on the recruiting trail.

Rob's philosophy of hiring assistants that are his old buddies/ cronies have evidently failed again judging by the team this year. Rob reminds me a lot of Slocum who spent several years whistling past the graveyard when things were changing around him. Our coaches seem to have propensity for riding their deadhead ideas right into retirement or worse. Rob is staring at the bottom of the standings and not having one clue what has gotten him there.
TAMU1990
AG
What got him there is poor recruiting. Not enough position players in the soph and he classes.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Childress and the post-season:

2006 - no post-season
2007 - lost super regional at Rice
2008 - lost super regional at Rice
2009 - lost twice to Oregon State at the TCU regional
2010 - went 3-2 at the Miami regional
2011 - went 0-2 at the CWS
2012 - lost to Ole Miss then TCU in a regional at Olsen
2013 - lost to UC-Santa Barbara and Oregon State at the OSU regional
2014 - went 3-2 at the Rice regional, losing to Texas twice
2015 - lost super regional at TCU
2016 - lost super regional at home to TCU
2017 - no post-season (unless something drastically changes)

So in 12 seasons at A&M, Childress' post-season summary is as such:

• 10 regional appearances (27-14 record [.659])
  • 5 super regional appearances (4-9 record [.308])
  • 1 CWS appearance (0-2 record [.000])
  • 2 missed post-seasons (assuming 2017 continues as it is now)

Childress is certainly a good coach and should be given credit for the Big 12 and SEC titles (regular season and conference tourney.) RC should also get credit for running a solid program with typically good guys on the squad year in and year out. By no means should Childress be considered a failure or a loser. However, after 12 years at the helm, it is fair to wonder if he's going to be a true championship coach who can get A&M up among the nation's elite.

Starting with RC's first season in 2006, these teams have won national titles:

• Oregon State (x2)
  • Fresno State
  • LSU
  • South Carolina (x2)
  • Arizona
  • UCLA
  • Vanderbilt
  • Virginia
  • Coastal Carolina

Heck, even if you look at the national runners up since 2006, you get this list:

• North Carolina (x2)
  • Georgia
  • Texas
  • UCLA
  • Florida
  • South Carolina
  • Mississippi State
  • Virginia
  • Vanderbilt
  • Arizona

Now tell me why Texas A&M cannot get to the same level teams like Vandy, Georgia, Oregon State, North Carolina, Fresno State and UCLA have gotten to over the past 12 years. What are they doing that we aren't doing? Discuss if you see fit...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
jkag89
Kemo Sabe said:

Younger more energetic coaches have come on the scene that have stolen the older coaches thunder. Schlosnagel at TCU is the big one, tech is another that has had more CWS success than rob has had. Texas and Baylor have new, younger head coaches that are going to be out working rob on the recruiting trail.
RC is 48. Jim Schlossnagle is 46 and been at TCU longer than RC has been at A&M. tech's Tim Tadlock is a whole three months younger than RC. t.u.'s David Pierce is 53 and hardly new to the Texas area recruiting scene. Baylor's Steve Rodriguez is 46.

Quote:

Rob's philosophy of hiring assistants that are his old buddies/ cronies have evidently failed again judging by the team this year.
Not sure how Bolt or Seely are "old" cronies or for that matter any of his past assistants. Heck Deggs was mentioned as a possible replacement for RC and even lauded by one of RC's chief critics on this board for his fiery intense attitude only a couple weeks ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.