TCU's Janczak

8,803 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GEA89
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maroon Flash said:

Quote:

I'm glad TCU is having success

The hell with TCU.

Then we'll just fight you til' it freezes over.

and then, we'll fight you on ice.
AB2
AG
TheChameleon said:

AB2 said:

I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, but...

Not every kid who plays baseball in CS wants to go to A&M.

Not every kid who plays baseball in CS deserves to be recruited to play baseball at A&M.

Not every kid who wants to play at A&M deserves to play at A&M.

Not every kid who deserves to play at A&M will get a chance to play at A&M.

Not every kid who goes to another school, but isn't recruited by A&M, does so because our coaching staff are a bunch of idiots.

Does that mean people can't create a thread on an A&M baseball message board, venting about missing out on a star player who wanted to play for the Ags? No. It doesn't. So your post is pointless

My apologies, Mr Janczak.
jkag89
TheChameleon said:

AB2 said:

I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, but...

Not every kid who plays baseball in CS wants to go to A&M.

Not every kid who plays baseball in CS deserves to be recruited to play baseball at A&M.

Not every kid who wants to play at A&M deserves to play at A&M.

Not every kid who deserves to play at A&M will get a chance to play at A&M.

Not every kid who goes to another school, but isn't recruited by A&M, does so because our coaching staff are a bunch of idiots.

Does that mean people can't create a thread on an A&M baseball message board, venting about missing out on a star player who wanted to play for the Ags? No. It doesn't. So your post is pointless
The discussion has expanded well beyond just Janczak, so AB's post is pertinent.
Thisguy1
FTA17 said:

To echo what some others have said, some guys come in highly rated and do little, some are unknown guys who turn into stars. We didn't "miss" on Janczak, TCU just got lucky. But for every lucky one there's an unlucky one. Since we're talking local guys, Ryan Johnson from CSHS went to TCU as a very highly touted player. He transferred this year after his freshman season because he didn't pan out. As a local myself, I have seen all the current high school players listed in this thread play a lot, and I can tell you Lucas (the LHP from CSHS) is the only one who has shown stuff worthy of a TAMU offer. Just because a player is good enough to go D1 doesn't mean they are good enough to play at A&M.

Are you inferring that a kid may be good enough to go to TCU but not good enough to go to A&M?
wareagle044
They got lucky on Janczak? I believe Janczak redshirted his first season and they put him in their program that helped develop him to what he is now. I guess you're saying TCU develops those unworthy to be at TAMU to be Aggie killers.

You're right in the sense that touted players sometimes don't pan out, but I think that the A&M staff makes up their mind on kids too quickly. Maybe the kids mentioned in this thread pan out, maybe they don't - point is that none are even getting a real look from A&M. They should at least get that as access to them is too easy.

These kids aren't going to TAMU-directional schools -- they're going to programs who seem to have a more upward trajectory as programs than A&M as of late
jkag89
wareagle044 said:

They got lucky on Janczak? I believe Janczak redshirted his first season and they put him in their program that helped develop him to what he is now. I guess you're saying TCU develops those unworthy to be at TAMU to be Aggie killers.

You're right in the sense that touted players sometimes don't pan out, but I think that the A&M staff makes up their mind on kids too quickly. Maybe the kids mentioned in this thread pan out, maybe they don't - point is that none are even getting a real look from A&M. They should at least get that as access to them is too easy.
I think it was a poor choice of words by FTA. You will admit that Janczak was at least a project? Maybe at that time the Ags were not willing (or did not have any extra) to offer scholarship money for a project.
wareagle044
jkag89 said:

wareagle044 said:

I think it was a poor choice of words by FTA. You will admit that Janczak was at least a project? Maybe at that time the Ags were not willing (or did not have any extra) to offer scholarship money for a project.

Pitching was stacked at A&M when Janczak signed so that's entirely possible. I guess TCU is developing players at a better tick than A&M right now because there hasn't been a lot of projects come and fill in after last years drafy exodus.

I'm aware this is a young Team and I believe in its talent for the future..but with 12 years of consistent playbut stagnant movement of program prestige -- something has to be fixed. I like the staff and Childress, but player evaluations and development needs to improve.

Baylor is coming along as a program again too. Rodriguez is a good coach that we could see take another in state program up faster than a&m
Colt98
AG
First Janczak went to tcu as a dual player and was recruited as one. He was a hell of an outfielder and batted right.. TCU likes to have a lot of lefties in the line up. So coaches saw that he would have a better future as a pitcher and he decided to do that. He redshirted due to the amount of upperclassmen pitcher tcu kept after coming off a cws appearance. He had to spend a year gaining weight from his lanky outfielder body, and perfecting his sick slider.. as much as I hate to say it, purple Baylor has the upper hand on us right now in recruiting. Coaching seams to be a big part in that.
ProudAg81
I haven't read the entire thread, but I did see someone say that Lucas is the only one of the four players locally that would be worthy an offer from A&M. I would beg to differ! I have watched all of these boys play and they are all great young pitchers, but Hunter Dobbins and Travis Hester are by far the best out of this group. Dobbins had offers from several Big 12 and SEC schools, but was very open about wanting to be an Aggie and no contact was made. Hester was clear that he would like to be an Aggie, but again nothing. I scouted baseball players for 25 years and these 2 are the real deal. Dobbins throws 92-93 and was dominant both times I saw him this year. Hester has a D1 ready slider right now and his numbers this year speak for theirselves. I concede that not every good local player will pan out, but A&M missed on these two! On top of this, Dobbins is a better hitter than he is pitcher. That's why Tech, Ole Miss and Baylor wanted him as both P,3B. Mike Taylor at Baylor said that Dobbins is probably the best complete player to ever come out of Bryan-College Station. Regardless of where they land, I hope these boys are successful! Just disappointing that they both didn't get any attention from Childress and staff.
Thisguy1
I've been watching Dobbins play for a few years. You must be his grandpa.

He's good, but from what I heard he's walking on at Tech. He's also nowhere near 92-93. I could name you numerous guys to come out of BCS better than Dobbins.
Bird Poo
AG
A&M offered a kid in my neighborhood last year as a Jr. His name is Zach DeLoach and he won district player of the year up here in North Dallas. He's been playing against 6A competition for the last 4 years since he started on the varsity team as a freshman.

With that in mind, I'm confident our coaching staff is going after SEC players that can immediately contribute. This kid is also a phenomenal hitter and has a 94 mph fastball.

Funny thing is that his parents are die hard Bailer fans, but they're grudgingly going along with what he wants.
ProudAg81
Definitely not Dobbins' grandpa, but I did sit with a couple of scouts that were at the game he pitched against Kubichek and they both were at 91-92. I do know JBob at Tech and he's not walking on. People are saying the same thing about Kubichek and I'm not sure why. Shouldn't be a good thing that these kids are maturing at players. I know Dobbins couldn't throw 85 last year, but he developed. That's a good thing.
Thisguy1
I didn't see a scout at that game, but Kubichek sure looked to be throwing harder than Dobbins, and neither one looked like they were 92. I didn't have my gun on them that game, so I can't say that as fact. Just an observation.

I don't know what you're trying to say about Kubichek.

Dobbins is a good player. He's not anything close to the best player to come out of B/CS even in the last 5 years. Hell, he's not even the best player to come out of Rudder in the last 5.
ProudAg81
I was simply saying that both boys were throwing hard. All I was saying about Kubichek is that people are saying he's walking on at Texas, but that's not the case either. We have some very talented players here in the area and we should happy for them. Not sitting on a forum badmouthing them. I don't know any of these kids personally, but you certainly seem to not to like the Dobbins kid in a big way. That's really sad!
Thisguy1
ProudAg81 said:

I was simply saying that both boys were throwing hard. All I was saying about Kubichek is that people are saying he's walking on at Texas, but that's not the case either. We have some very talented players here in the area and we should happy for them. Not sitting on a forum badmouthing them. I don't know any of these kids personally, but you certainly seem to not to like the Dobbins kid in a big way. That's really sad!

Don't put words in my mouth, I've said Dobbins is a good player in just about every post I've made. He just isn't anything close to the best player to come out of Bryan in 25 years like you claimed. I haven't bad bad mouthed any kid and I do I know a lot of these kids personally which is why I'm pretty confident in what I post.

I've had a gun on Kolby multiple times. The hardest I've gotten him at is 92. His dad claims he's had him at 93.6. If he would let people coach him, he may figure out how to throw strikes. If he does that, he has stupid stuff. He has one of the best breaking balls I've seen in a long time.

Most of these kids keep getting exaggerated. I was talking to an old friend who is a college coach the other night. I was asking him about the Temple kid (Mendoza) and he just laughed. All everyone was saying was he was up to 95. He asked who had the gun on him and everyone said, "oh we didn't radar him, he was just throwing hard." He's probably mid-upper 80's. Everyone throws hard until you put a gun on them.

But it's funny, because the only person I've heard is pushing the idea that Kubichek is walking on at Texas is Dobbins' dad.
Phil Garner
ProudAg81 said:

I haven't read the entire thread, but I did see someone say that Lucas is the only one of the four players locally that would be worthy an offer from A&M. I would beg to differ! I have watched all of these boys play and they are all great young pitchers, but Hunter Dobbins and Travis Hester are by far the best out of this group. Dobbins had offers from several Big 12 and SEC schools, but was very open about wanting to be an Aggie and no contact was made. Hester was clear that he would like to be an Aggie, but again nothing. I scouted baseball players for 25 years and these 2 are the real deal. Dobbins throws 92-93 and was dominant both times I saw him this year. Hester has a D1 ready slider right now and his numbers this year speak for theirselves. I concede that not every good local player will pan out, but A&M missed on these two! On top of this, Dobbins is a better hitter than he is pitcher. That's why Tech, Ole Miss and Baylor wanted him as both P,3B. Mike Taylor at Baylor said that Dobbins is probably the best complete player to ever come out of Bryan-College Station. Regardless of where they land, I hope these boys are successful! Just disappointing that they both didn't get any attention from Childress and staff.

Give it up Lance.
Thisguy1
Kind of what I'm starting to think...
Phil Garner
Quote:

But it's funny, because the only person I've heard is pushing the idea that Kubichek is walking on at Texas is Dobbins' dad.

Phil Garner
Rules of thumb

They don't throw as hard as everyone says.

Don't believe any HS velocity numbers UNLESS 1) You see it with your own eyes on a Stalker gun, 2) A real scout, you know,
the guy that has a gun with him at EVERY game and writes stuff down (not the local dad that says he's a scout) tells you.

Second hand info. is garbage. Real scouts have seen with their own eyes and have no reason to hide velo or lie to observers. Dads, players, sometimes HS coaches, and general observers want to believe the highest number they hear...so they spread the word.
Thisguy1
Phil Garner said:

Rules of thumb

They don't throw as hard as everyone says.

Don't believe any HS velocity numbers UNLESS 1) You see it with your own eyes on a Stalker gun, 2) A real scout, you know,
the guy that has a gun with him at EVERY game and writes stuff down (not the local dad that says he's a scout) tells you.

Second hand info. is garbage. Real scouts have seen with their own eyes and have no reason to hide velo or lie to observers. Dads, players, sometimes HS coaches, and general observers want to believe the highest number they hear...so they spread the word.

Love it.
TAMU1990
AG
Ryan Johnson got stuck behind some OFs, transferred to San Jac, and is now going to Kentucky next fall.
OldSaltAg
It's more difficult in the SEC to sustain success. There are no easy weekends. RC knows that not all kids are going to contribute at this level.
Thisguy1
Wendy 1990 said:

Ryan Johnson got stuck behind some OFs, transferred to San Jac, and is now going to Kentucky next fall.

Just to add to Johnson, Hines is going to DBU and Rowlett will probably end up leaving TC this year. He's visited DBU and Texas St.
RGLAG85
AG
Only persons who should have a radar gun at any game are professional scouts. Any fan or dad with one is stupid.
Thisguy1
RGLAG85 said:

Only persons who should have a radar gun at any game are professional scouts. Any fan or dad with one is stupid.

I'm not a professional scout, but when I have people call me about a kid, what would you like me to tell them? He throws hard, kinda hard, not hard...

Then you run into the story of a kid throwing "like" 90 and the coach wastes his time looking at him, now my credibility is shot. It sure helps when I have a number from a Stalker to give them along with my opinion that they either trust or don't trust.

It also helps when I'm doing my lessons. If a parent may be on the fence about what I'm telling them I can put a gun on them and prove I either know what I'm talking about or I'm just full of it.

You can own something that professionals use because you want to.
RGLAG85
AG
Thisguy1 said:

RGLAG85 said:

I'm not a professional scout, but when I have people call me about a kid, what would you like me to tell them? He throws hard, kinda hard, not hard...

Then you run into the story of a kid throwing "like" 90 and the coach wastes his time looking at him, now my credibility is shot. It sure helps when I have a number from a Stalker to give them along with my opinion that they either trust or don't trust.

It also helps when I'm doing my lessons. If a parent may be on the fence about what I'm telling them I can put a gun on them and prove I either know what I'm talking about or I'm just full of it.

You can own something that professionals use because you want to.
What youth/travel baseball organization are you affiliated with? And, of all the next level coaches and scouts I know of, all would want to see in person with their own eyes. Everyone else is irrelevant. Of all the major travel ball organizations I've and the pleasure of associating with, none radared their pitchers. They, and myself if I was asked, would use descriptive words like "he has a live arm", "he has great movement on his fastball", "he has a good or great secondary pitch", "he has one good secondary and another developing pitch". Quite frankly, if you can't tell the difference between an 85 to 90 to 95mph fastball with your eyes, you probably shouldn't be evaluating talent anyway. Sorry, not trying to be abrasive just truthful.
Thisguy1
I wouldn't say I'm affiliated with an organization at the moment. I wouldn't disagree with you on your comments about different terms you can use, but those are also terms people use to put lipstick on a kid that may not be that good. If a kid throws low 80's, I know specific coaches that won't tell scouts that. They'll simply say he has a live arm (even if he doesn't), he has a great breaking pitch (which is all a matter of opinion), or my favorite, he has a hot girlfriend so he doesn't lack confidence. A number is a number. You lie to enough people about a number then people will stop listening and trusting you.

I do know a lot of college coaches. I've sent a lot of kids to different places. When I tell them what I think of a kid, it's nice to have a number next to his name because it adds credibility. Otherwise, you run into my example I used earlier. I can use my eyes. Your comment sounds like a scout doesn't even need a gun, but yet they all bring one. It was pretty easy to tell Dobbins wasn't throwing as hard as Kubichek that night, but yet we have a guy claiming otherwise in this thread. Good off-speed can make a kid look like he's throwing harder than he really is, but I'm sure you know that.

I have a gun because I always wanted one and it was a gift. Just because you don't have a need for it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Kids I do lessons with, along with their parents, love it when I bring it out. It's the equalizer. I've put it on a lot of kids and out of everyone I've put it on, exactly ZERO threw as hard or harder than they claimed. Now, I have put it on kids who don't really know what they throw who threw harder than they thought.

You're absolutely right that coaches will want to see the kid with their own eyes. This isn't the norm, but I have gotten a kid a scholarship before the coach went and saw him, because I don't lie or exaggerate to them and he trusted my opinion. He had one spot he needed for a pitcher and I gave him a name and what I thought about him. That pitcher is now pitching in the minors.
RGLAG85
AG
We obviously run in different circles. The truth is the truth based on who is telling it whether it be by description or by measurement. A measuring device does not make you truthful. I find it funny that I never questioned your honesty, just your need to radar at high school games. It is absolutely not necessary for those who know what they are looking at and frankly, college coaches are less reliant on a radar than pitchability. Hence my original statement.

I'll acquiesce to your expertise.

Have a good day
Thisguy1
I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I was just defending why people may want/need a radar when they aren't a pro scout since you thought they were stupid.

And I wasn't proving my honesty. I'm saying a radar can prove who's honest and who isn't because it's factual, not opinion based.
RGLAG85
AG
It's only factual to the individual who sees it. How truthful he is with that information is often debatable just as the trust of an individual with a descriptive assessment. Again, I'll surrender to your justification.
agforlife97
AG
I am not going to get caught up in the specifics of individual players, but TCU has better coaches than we do. Period. The proof is in the pudding.
aggiebrad94
AG
RGLAG85 & Thisguy1 - from an outsiders viewing, what both of you are saying has merit and does not appear to be in conflict.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
I'd love to get Brauny's opinion on the local guys... Specifically CSHS and consol (Hines, Johnson, Rowlett, Grisham, Hester, Lucas, Carroway) and see what he thinks about each of them in terms of if they'll contribute at the places they will play at next
GEA89
AG
Friends of his Dad as my wife went to High School with him and their family is family friends of my in-laws who live in Temple. My son is also friends with him as they played with and against each other in the select years back in the day. The "wanted to be an Aggie" thing is overplayed. I am sure he wouldn't have minded it and would have seriously considered an offer but it isn't like he was an Aggie lock waiting on an offer that never came like it is portrayed here.
GEA89
AG
AgCynic2 said:

I am not going to get caught up in the specifics of individual players, but TCU has better coaches than we do. Period. The proof is in the pudding.
I don't think anyone who knows the game would argue against this point.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.