This season's expectations

6,263 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by farmer1
Capitol Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't be down at all folks. Look, almost all experts predicted at best that this Aggie team was a regional qualifier and not regional host. It's a rebuilding year. The expectations shouldn't be CWS every year. It can't be. Sure, one can argue that last season or the season before were missed opportunities but this year our realistic expectation needs to be get to a regional. If we host, we've exceeded that and it was more than a successful season THIS season. Let this season lay the foundation for a CWS run next season, but stop letting your disappointment from the last two year cloud your perspective about this season. Can you question the leadership about only getting to the CWS once in 11 seasons? Hell ya. But too many on here act like it's CWS or fire Childress this season. That's just not realistic. He makes a regional, all is good. And we can evaluate after the season if he doesn't. Just my humble opinion.
Schrute
Future....

Rocco S
It's not that we are struggling. It's that we are losing by playing very poor baseball with the same issues that have plagued teams coached by Rob Childress for now over a decade. He's a fantastic instructional pitching coach, and really could be a pitching coach at the MLB level. However, he has been unable to instill the type of mental fortitude it takes to win games like last night.
fieldtrailer
AG
Here's to a coach in his whatever year still trying to establish a program. Should not have fallen this far, this fast. Should have depth to go along with the newbies. The one constant with A&M athletics is they can't sustain.
I look at what today is going to do to tomorrow. Every team we lose to that we recruit against just chips away at next year's success.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Rocco S said:

It's not that we are struggling. It's that we are losing by playing very poor baseball with the same issues that have plagued teams coached by Rob Childress for now over a decade. He's a fantastic instructional pitching coach, and really could be a pitching coach at the MLB level. However, he has been unable to instill the type of mental fortitude it takes to win games like last night.

I'm starting to get on board more and more with this line of thinking. We knew coming into the season that the team would not be as good this year as last year - and I don't think anyone really had an issue or a problem with that. We are rebuilding in a sense, but it's a great feeling that "rebuilding" still means we should make the post-season...unlike previous rebuilding years (1990, 1994, 1996, 2000).

However, for as good as Coach Childress has done at assembling and coaching up strong pitching staffs and as well as he seems to get players to buy into the "team first" mentality, it does seem like he has struggled with getting the team to overcome Jedi mind tricks of our top tier opponents. Early in his career, he let Rice completely scramble his brain. Then it was TCU. Last night (and in the '14 regional) it was Texas.

There have been flashes of greatness...a few conference titles and a few conference tourney championships...but when push comes to shove and it's time to separate the men from the boys on the national level, we always seem to get oh so close...then come up short.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
twk
AG
The problem last night was hitting. Yes, we kicked the ball around a bit, but Childress has always let his assistant in charge of the offense put the best hitters on the field, at the expense of the defense. It works more often than not, but in order for it to work, you've got to hit and we were hot garbage at the plate last night (except for Shewmake). We can turn it around, but we need to do that sooner rather than later. Pennington appears to have played himself out of the lineup. Homan is in danger of doing the same, but was showing some signs of improvement prior to last night. Davis is such a defensive liability at first that he's got to produce big in order to justify his spot in the lineup. Choruby is a guy with speed who fails to take advantage of his greatest asset by failing to put the ball in play. Those are guys we were figuring would produce who simply haven't.
Schrute
twk said:

The problem last night was hitting. Yes, we kicked the ball around a bit, but Childress has always let his assistant in charge of the offense put the best hitters on the field, at the expense of the defense. It works more often than not, but in order for it to work, you've got to hit and we were hot garbage at the plate last night (except for Shewmake). We can turn it around, but we need to do that sooner rather than later. Pennington appears to have played himself out of the lineup. Homan is in danger of doing the same, but was showing some signs of improvement prior to last night. Davis is such a defensive liability at first that he's got to produce big in order to justify his spot in the lineup. Choruby is a guy with speed who fails to take advantage of his greatest asset by failing to put the ball in play. Those are guys we were figuring would produce who simply haven't.
This team is woefully lacking in Jr/Sr leadership. I expected some of this because we lost A TON of leadership from last year's team - specifically Michael Barash. However, I did expect a little more from Homan, Davis, Pennington, Choruby - and we're just not getting it.
TMartin
Homan looks lost this year and is making freshman mistakes like not covering second on a pickoff.
Rocco S
Luke The Drifter said:

Rocco S said:

I'm starting to get on board more and more with this line of thinking. We knew coming into the season that the team would not be as good this year as last year - and I don't think anyone really had an issue or a problem with that. We are rebuilding in a sense, but it's a great feeling that "rebuilding" still means we should make the post-season...unlike previous rebuilding years (1990, 1994, 1996, 2000).

However, for as good as Coach Childress has done at assembling and coaching up strong pitching staffs and as well as he seems to get players to buy into the "team first" mentality, it does seem like he has struggled with getting the team to overcome Jedi mind tricks of our top tier opponents. Early in his career, he let Rice completely scramble his brain. Then it was TCU. Last night (and in the '14 regional) it was Texas.

There have been flashes of greatness...a few conference titles and a few conference tourney championships...but when push comes to shove and it's time to separate the men from the boys on the national level, we always seem to get oh so close...then come up short.

Honestly, we strike a nerve no other team does with our opposition. Especially now that we are in the SEC. We don't seem to match the distaste our opposition does for losing to the hated Aggies when it comes to playing the big 12.
Tex100
AG
Rocco S said:

How about Barash's walk off HR last year?
histag10
AG
Rocco S said:

It's taken roughly 10 years, buy Guys, Rocco just gave Childress a compliment! This season really must be different!
Luke The Drifter
AG
Tex100 said:

Rocco S said:

How about Barash's walk off HR last year?

Texas was terrible last year. Of course, Barash's walk off wouldn't have been necessary had we not blown a 4-0 lead in the 9th inning.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Schrute
histag10 said:

Rocco S said:

It's taken roughly 10 years, buy Guys, Rocco just gave Childress a compliment! This season really must be different!
emando2000
AG
TMartin said:

Homan looks lost this year and is making freshman mistakes like not covering second on a pickoff.
That's not a freshman mistake. That's a HS freshman mistake.

Last night I was really wondering what the heck was going on. The outfielders were slow to get the ball in to the infield which let some of the runners grab an extra base and caused some indecisiveness on our guys to force a throw. The infield errors were kind of embarrassing. It literally was like watching HS freshman making bad decisions throwing the ball. I don't remember what inning it was but the throwing error at 3rd when we had a runner in the hot box??? It was like Knoblauch out there. Some of the field errors were as bad as they get. It's one thing if their trying to field a shot but I recall a dribbler to 3rd...no words.

Also, what was with the balking situation? I couldn't see what was going on. I was in on one of the buses in right field so I couldn't see what was exactly happening live and couldn't see the score board.
histag10
AG
Quote:

Also, what was with the balking situation? I couldn't see what was going on. I was in on one of the buses in right field so I couldn't see what was exactly happening live and couldn't see the score board.

Which one, ours or theirs?
emando2000
AG
histag10 said:

Quote:

Which one, ours or theirs?
Both. I had no idea what was going on and I heard Craig Way mention something about a new rule.
twk
AG
Quote:

The first base umpire called three balks (two on us, one on them) for the pitcher failing to come to a complete stop when pitching out of the stretch.
histag10
AG
Didn't catch ours, but theirs, the pitcher never really stopped and just kinda turned it into a run/jog to first. He lifted his "pivot"(?) Foot and just kind of took a few steps. Seemed like he was off balance (it was a bad pitch anyways)
Picadillo
Bread, circuses, and Regional Rob for the next 20 years.
Aggieangler93
AG
Nothing new about that from a rules perspective. You don't pause, they advance. That's simple and I guess it's about kids getting amped up.

I was sitting there thinking last night in the 8th inning, about Boomer, and his desire to hit at all costs, with RISP. He had a fire for it, and whenever he came up late, I figured we had a really good chance. We need someone like that on this team. Shewmake and Foster are having to set the table because no one else is hitting reliably. We need Shewmake to be 4 hole, but that means we have to find someone to put in the top 2 spots of the order.

Choruby, Homan, and Davis would all be sitting the bench if it came to just offense. I am not sure how much longer we can take the bad defense of Homan at Short, with 3 or 4 other highly talented high school short stops on the team. I can't imagine it being worse trying one of the other guys. I will say that playing on carpet had a bit to do with it. We had balls go under our gloves, and we also underran many balls in the field, expecting to have them roll farther. Turf skids balls, and eats ball momentum. If you don't see any turf fields, you aren't prepared for that.

I'm not giving up on this team, but when I saw Joel Davis in the 4 hole last night, I almost gave up on our coach. You look at the guys we had that started in the batting order, and he had the worst BA on the list or second worst, so that makes no sense. I think I've seen him make maybe one clutch hit all year, and it was a pop-out to score an RBI. Is he really our best option there?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Fightin Ag491
I come in peace, swear to God:

For those already writing off this team as a 2 or 3-seed in a regional, which isn't even that bad, you're speaking way too early. This A&M team could've walked into DFF last night and won had they cleaned up the errors. Regardless, after the loss, the Aggies are still 14-4. Yea, they gave away three games to other big teams. Games they were in position to win. However, they were games that were in MARCH.

Sooooo much time left in this season, especially with the SEC coming up and 15 (I think I read that somewhere on here?) road conference games to prove yourselves. Hosting a regional, hell even a national seed, is far from being out of reach at this point. 14-4 is good. Had y'all heard that y'all were going 14-4 in non-con before conference before the season started, many of y'all would've been ok with that.

I almost hope (jokingly) that we don't play again for a while just for the sake of getting to avoid playing Shewmake again. That kid is a machine. Cannot wait to see what he will become by June of 2018 (lets be honest, if pace persists with him, he'll be a first rounder his junior year, and he gone).

Said this last year, said this after 2014, saying it again in 2017: I'm glad this game's back. I'm not gonna sit here and do the whole "oh we don't need them" BS. I'll admit that this game was circled on my calendar the day the schedule was released.

This matchup has so much history, so much competitiveness, and it's what all the fans grew up on. In Augie's best years at Texas, the best regular season moments were usually against you guys. In 1989, A&M had one of the best regular season teams in the history of college baseball, and from what I read in the posts, the best memory of that team from that year is their heroics against Texas at Olsen.

I'm a fan of this game, I'll never not be. Being a third generation Longhorn, it was what I was raised on and I'm sure a lot of y'all feel the same way. I've always hated the "we don't need them, they need us argument," because it's in my opinion, BS that spews from both sides, and it's false both ways. Neither team "needs" the other. Neither team will ever "need" the other. I mean, damn, didn't these two teams finish 1st and 2nd in the nation in revenue a year or two ago in all of college sports? I don't even think they played eachother in any major men's sport that season either. Neither team or fanbase "need" the other, but that doesn't mean they don't want the other. In my eyes, we're brothers. Not enemies.

I like the one Tuesday, Game 7 feeling a lot. But I'd definitely be open to these two teams playing a weekend series again, or doing something like Florida and FSU do.

All in all, it was a good game Ags. Can't really say at this point if the "better team" won or lost because it's so early, and it was a sloppy, grind it out game. But I can say that both these programs are in the right direction, and Aggie baseball fans have a lot to look forward to.

Best of luck to y'all, and as always, keep representing this great state well in the SEC!
tjack16
AG
This team is a 2-seed Regional team. Which is still good, and we could probably win a lot of regionals as a 2 seed.

My expectation is super regionals, which is basically the sweet 16 in basketball. I know last year and in 2015 we had Omaha caliber teams, and not making it last year was unacceptable. But expecting to go to the final four or elite 8 every season is unrealistic for a program that's only done it what 5 times in our history?

I say the expectation should be regionals every season, supers 3 out of 5 seasons... and a trip to Omaha 1-2 times in a 5 year stretch.
BQ_90
AG
tjholley17 said:

This team is a 2-seed Regional team. Which is still good, and we could probably win a lot of regionals as a 2 seed.

My expectation is super regionals, which is basically the sweet 16 in basketball. I know last year and in 2015 we had Omaha caliber teams, and not making it last year was unacceptable. But expecting to go to the final four or elite 8 every season is unrealistic for a program that's only done it what 5 times in our history?

I say the expectation should be regionals every season, supers 3 out of 5 seasons... and a trip to Omaha 1-2 times in a 5 year stretch.
which based on that we're not even close doing.
AngryAG
Eddie Chiles.
speckledtrout
This week feels like the point where the 2017 season goes into the toilet. Regional Rob might have a great deal of baseball knowledge and experience, but he isn't a leader and he doesn't have the ability to instill attention to detail. A lot of teams are talented, but details and leadership can separate the winners from the losers.

That's why Regional Rob is Regional Rob. Always has been and always will be.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Our teams never have the mental toghness to win close games

Confidence is everything in baseball and ours got smashed in Houston against TCU

Except this time it got smashed to end a season in March, not June

How many years are we going to continue to settle for this mediocrity?
Wabs
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Confidence is everything in baseball and ours got smashed in Houston against TCU

You haven't seen A&M baseball win close games in the past 10 years? Seriously? What do define as a close game? Plus or minus 2 runs?

I'm not going to go through the all of the season schedules, but I know for a fact we've won a bunch of games decided by 2 or less runs. Yes, we've lost some, and we've royally blown some leads. But you're picking those instances to label this team and past teams as "not mentally tough" and completely ignoring the close WINS to give credit for mental toughness.

I got it, losing last night sucked. TCU sucked, Baylor sucked. But to make the generalization that we "never have the mental toughness to win close games" is just not right.

Schrute
Maroon Dawn said:

In 2016, we were 11-6 in games decided by 2 or less runs.

So far in 2017, we are 3-3.

Is this a team that appears to have no mental toughness to win close games?
jja79
AG
I think he meant the meaningful games that determine who gets to Omaha.
Schrute
jja79 said:

I think he meant the meaningful games that determine who gets to Omaha.
Not the way I read this statement:
Quote:

Capitol Ag
AG
harryhorns said:

I come in peace, swear to God:

For those already writing off this team as a 2 or 3-seed in a regional, which isn't even that bad, you're speaking way too early. This A&M team could've walked into DFF last night and won had they cleaned up the errors. Regardless, after the loss, the Aggies are still 14-4. Yea, they gave away three games to other big teams. Games they were in position to win. However, they were games that were in MARCH.

Sooooo much time left in this season, especially with the SEC coming up and 15 (I think I read that somewhere on here?) road conference games to prove yourselves. Hosting a regional, hell even a national seed, is far from being out of reach at this point. 14-4 is good. Had y'all heard that y'all were going 14-4 in non-con before conference before the season started, many of y'all would've been ok with that.

I almost hope (jokingly) that we don't play again for a while just for the sake of getting to avoid playing Shewmake again. That kid is a machine. Cannot wait to see what he will become by June of 2018 (lets be honest, if pace persists with him, he'll be a first rounder his junior year, and he gone).

Said this last year, said this after 2014, saying it again in 2017: I'm glad this game's back. I'm not gonna sit here and do the whole "oh we don't need them" BS. I'll admit that this game was circled on my calendar the day the schedule was released.

This matchup has so much history, so much competitiveness, and it's what all the fans grew up on. In Augie's best years at Texas, the best regular season moments were usually against you guys. In 1989, A&M had one of the best regular season teams in the history of college baseball, and from what I read in the posts, the best memory of that team from that year is their heroics against Texas at Olsen.

I'm a fan of this game, I'll never not be. Being a third generation Longhorn, it was what I was raised on and I'm sure a lot of y'all feel the same way. I've always hated the "we don't need them, they need us argument," because it's in my opinion, BS that spews from both sides, and it's false both ways. Neither team "needs" the other. Neither team will ever "need" the other. I mean, damn, didn't these two teams finish 1st and 2nd in the nation in revenue a year or two ago in all of college sports? I don't even think they played eachother in any major men's sport that season either. Neither team or fanbase "need" the other, but that doesn't mean they don't want the other. In my eyes, we're brothers. Not enemies.

I like the one Tuesday, Game 7 feeling a lot. But I'd definitely be open to these two teams playing a weekend series again, or doing something like Florida and FSU do.

All in all, it was a good game Ags. Can't really say at this point if the "better team" won or lost because it's so early, and it was a sloppy, grind it out game. But I can say that both these programs are in the right direction, and Aggie baseball fans have a lot to look forward to.

Best of luck to y'all, and as always, keep representing this great state well in the SEC!
Awesome post! Can't be starred enough. Agree with all points. Best of luck the rest of this year.
W
AG
before the season I predicted 34-21 overall and 16-14 in conference.

after the win against Tech in the Classic, I thought the Ags might reach the 40-win plateau in the regular season. However now 34-21 looks about right again. The Ags are going to have a very difficult time in the 15 SEC road games
Bocephus
AG
tjholley17 said:

I do not understand this mentality. We should not expect to go to Omaha because we have not consistently gone in our history? Did LSU go consistently before Bertman got there? What about TCU before Schlossnagle? Bolt said today that our goal is to win the national title. In order to do that, we have to get to Omaha enough where we are not in "just happy to be there" mode.
tjack16
AG
The expectations of players and coaches for every team should be to win a national title. The players and coaches should never think "well I guess losing in a regional is okay".
However, I'm not on the team and I can take an objective look as a fan and realize that not every program is a title contender. We are a consistent regional/super regional team. Saying we expect to make Omaha every year is like saying that we should expect to make the final 4 in basketball or else our season is a failure.
Only a few programs should "expect" a final four every year ... duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc.
The same thing could be said for baseball. There are only a handful of programs who should expect Omaha every season, Florida, vandy, LSU, TCU, Arizona, Virginia.
Now once we make it to Omaha a couple of times like TCU and LSU, then we should make those high expectations.

Maroon Dawn
AG
Yes obviously I meant the meaningful games that count. They crumble under pressure and fall apart even with a big lead.

It's like having to watch Shermans 2011 campaign over and over
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.