*****Aggies vs. Pepperdine-Saturday*****

32,475 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bay fan
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bocephus said:

Good lesson to a young team of how poor baseball leads to losses. Hope bats come alive tomorrow

Yea. I'm going with the learning experience angle too. Tough loss with the mistakes. Hopefully it pisses them off.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Bedford in for Coleman.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
jkag89
Duck Patrol said:

Janca. There's got to be a third baseman somewhere.
No, please. Janca has the tools but let miscues get into his noggin' last year which often led to another error, ect. Poor play in the field also led to poor ABs. IMO it is too soon to over react, George right now looks sure of himself at third, I say keep him there.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I doubt they'd move Janca from third. As mentioned, he's made some good plays there.

The move could be someone else to short and having Gillman in the lineup.

So there probably aren't moves coming there, especially considering your move is to add another freshman to the lineup. Homan hit SEC pitching consistently last season. Couple that with being a senior and I assume he gets a very, very long look at short.
Signel
AG
Janca is playing substantially better compared to last year when he was pulled. His production at the plate and his mostly functional play at 3rd is the right move.
jkag89
Mark Fairchild said:

Bedford in for Coleman.
NO!!! Hunter looks great behind the plate. Any offense we get from him should be considered a bonus as long as he is defensively steady.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Just got back from the game. Several times I thought saw dog had crept into the game. Could not believe that Homan got picked off. It was so obvious the signals that McAfee was giving. 8th inning was a disaster all the way around. I believe that the waves' catcher can and wii come up and pick us off. Need to take the series tomorrow.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
BQ_90
AG
Bocephus said:

Good lesson to a young team of how poor baseball leads to losses. Hope bats come alive tomorrow
it would be more understandable if it was the young players making the base running blunders
Amazing Moves
CapCityAg89 said:

Bocephus said:

Yea. I'm going with the learning experience angle too. Tough loss with the mistakes. Hopefully it pisses them off.
Today sucked but, this whole season is a learning experience for this squad. Hopefully they will be much better by seasons end.
aggiewilliford
Short memories and better play tomorrow. BTHO Pepperdine and take the rubber match!
Beau Holder
AG
I know one game is one game and baseball is baseball, and the majority of the country's other ranked teams have already lost one or more (some to significantly worse teams than Pepperdine). A series win would make everything A-OK. But I just hate to see one they could've won slip away, because I think this team has a great deal more potential than national pundits seem to realize.
fieldtrailer
AG
This team is getting exposed with its' inability to bunt and run bases (bad today, bunting bad all season). Something I read they would do alot of. Add to that coaches giving up on the bunt during the at bats and when they tried to bunt. I guess it can be corrected, but the lack of small ball and the pressure it puts on the other teams' pitching, is an early issue. Good pitching will always beat good hitting. Going to need small ball, good pitching and defense to compete and win against teams like Pepperdine and TCU and LSU and. ...

The pitching is looking good so far. Been a good series so far. Good test for them.
W
AG
just got home from the game...and 2 hours later the offensive performance was still dreadful and the baserunning beyond awful.

what stands out when I watch the 5 seniors start and play...only Choruby has above average or elite tools / talent. The other 4 are just very, very, very average ballplayers. They don't do anything at an elite level and too many things at a below average level. Homan was a mess in all phases today. Same for Davis. The sooner the freshmen can step up and send the seniors to the bench the better (or at least 3 or 4 spots down in the order).

and where's the power? The Ags have 1 x-base hit in 57 AB's in the series. And of course the 1 x-base hit was by one of the fish. Bolt has his work cut out for him. A team without power that struggles mightily to execute small ball. Good luck with that combination.

as numerous folks commented before the season...this team looks a lot like 2013 and maybe 2010 --- where there was just a lack of talent in the batting order. Going to need a lot of shutout efforts from the starting pitching until the freshmen can take over
W
AG
and Bowling Green fell to 0-5 today...after getting shellacked by Middle Tennessee 20-8
Wildman15
AG
These losses hurt way worse than being beaten by 10-15 runs. At least with those losses you can just write it off as "we suck". I over analyze these 1-2 run losses way too much.
Icecream_Ag
S
Wildman15 said:

These losses hurt way worse than being beaten by 10-15 runs. At least with those losses you can just write it off as "we suck". I over analyze these 1-2 run losses way too much.
that's how you end up fat and grey before your time
Wildman15
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Wildman15 said:

that's how you end up fat and grey before your time

Funny since I'm 24 and going grey
W
AG
Duck Patrol said:

I will say that Joel is a huge liability at first defensively. It would be justified if he was killing it offensively...
Davis is not long for first base. Gotta be some other options with better range and footwork
W
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Bout ready for Homan to find the bench too. There is no excuse for being picked off twice. Might just cost A&M the game.
I was expecting him to get benched. He should have been
Deadwood
AG
Wildman15 said:

Unless you were there for the 89 regional series, you don't know the level of disappointment possible. It's been 28 years and I"m still pissed.
Wildman15
AG
Deadwood said:

Wildman15 said:

Unless you were there for the 89 regional series, you don't know the level of disappointment possible. It's been 28 years and I"m still pissed.
considering I wasn't born until '92 I can safely say that no, I wasn't there for that one
EconAg11
AG
Last year's SR game 3 was my worst baseball meltdown. Not getting a hit after the second inning was the most excruciating thing I have ever witnessed at Olsen.
Lance Uppercut
AG
2010s final lineups included:

-Brodie Greene
-Juengel
-Joe Patterson
-Kevin Gonzalez
-Naquin
-Adam Smith, who finally started hitting
-Shofner
-Collazo
-Kenny Jackson

The team ended up hitting 300, and that list includes a major leaguer and 5 minor leaguers, and of the guys that didn't play profesionally, Shofner was hitting ..331 and Patterson .348. I never thought of 2010 as being a bad team, though they weren't good defensively and had trouble in the bullpen after Stilson and some very talented starters. They also hit 67 homers and averaged 6.15 runs per game.

AggieBand2004
AG
My last full year living in CS
I loved that team
bay fan
S
Beau Holder said:

I know one game is one game and baseball is baseball, and the majority of the country's other ranked teams have already lost one or more (some to significantly worse teams than Pepperdine). A series win would make everything A-OK. But I just hate to see one they could've won slip away, because I think this team has a great deal more potential than national pundits seem to realize.
What makes you think Pepperdine isn't a good team? Many teams in the nation are significantly worse then Pepperdine. Truth is though some here won't like this, Pepperdine usually year over year can play with anyone Friday and Saturday. Sunday hurts us against schools with greater draw as we almost always have a freshman as the starting pitcher on Sunday.

There is very good baseball played all over California and Pepperinde plays them all with our Tuesday games including UCLA, USC, Fullerton, Santa Barbara, Cal Poly etc. none of those larger "name" teams expect to beat Pepperdine. In 2014 it took TCU making a b9 come back in the supers to beat us, which ought to sound super familiar here. I stand by my statement that on Friday and Saturday the waves can play with anyone and not embarase themselves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.