Question about batter interference

1,817 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by matt.maggio3
Corporal Punishment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last night's batter interference call got me thinking:

What happens on a play where the batter obstructs the catcher's throw to second base but the baserunner is thrown out anyway?

If it happens on a swinging strike three does it get called? It would be better for the defense if interference isn't called at all...resulting in a strike out - throw out double play.
CypressAg09
AG
I think if the runner is thrown out, then the batter is not out.
Birddog
AG
CypressAg09 said:

Correct, it is a "delayed" call. If runner is thrown out, interference is ignored batter remains at bat.
Icecream_Ag
S
Birddog said:

CypressAg09 said:

Correct, it is a "delayed" call. If runner is thrown out, interference is ignored batter remains at bat.
just hope we dont get the crew from the okie light vs directional michigan football game.
W
AG
activist umpires
Mark Fairchild
AG
That call at 2nd last night, was a great example of activist umpire. Just call the game and don't insert yourself.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
jt2hunt
AG
Anyone think the call was right?
TexasRebel
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

If it happens on a swinging strike three does it get called? It would be better for the defense if interference isn't called at all...resulting in a strike out - throw out double play.

If a batter interferes with a catcher's throw after striking out, the runner is also called out.
carrollyp1
If the strike out occurs before the interference then it is a strike out and throw out for a double play. It is a delayed dead ball call because you do not want to penalize the defense for interference call and not get the put out.
If the batter interferes with less than two outs, then the batter is out and the runner is returned to his original base at the time of the pitch.
Icecream_Ag
S
jt2hunt said:

Mark Johnson immediately called it and then explained exactly why during the replay. Basically Pennington "fell" against his momentum into the path of the catcher.
Aggies2009
AG
jt2hunt said:

I do. My problem comes when i see that happen a hundred times and never get called, but the one time it's called, it's against us. I know that's not the case, just human nature to feel that way. And it sucked to happen in the 12th inning of a tied game with a runner on 1st and 0 outs to have a guy go from 2nd with 0 outs to back to first and 1 out.

Just a rough spot.
BTKAG97
AG
http://www.umpirebible.com/rules/batterInterference.htm
Jack Bristow
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

That call at 2nd last night, was a great example of activist umpire. Just call the game and don't insert yourself.
What happened?
matt.maggio3
AG
I just want to know why it gets recorded as a ground ball out to the catcher. Personally don't think it should count as an AB, only a PA.
jkag89
matt.maggio3 said:

I just want to know why it gets recorded as a ground ball out to the catcher.
My guess is for statistical reasons they need to assign the PO to someone.
matt.maggio3
AG
so the same rationale as batting out of order?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.