MLB Players Union Oks Change to Intentional Walk Rule

2 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by histag10
SeattleAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank goodness these guys don't run college baseball. The 12th inning intentional walk is the most exciting play in baseball!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18737245/mlb-union-agree-get-rid-traditional-intentional-walkwill-use-signal-dugout
jkag89
For a season or two college ball did not make you throw the pitches. IMO it does not save enough time in a game to use as a provision in an attempt shorten games. Now things like what happened tonight certainly don't happen often but they do happen. What does happen fairly often is that the pitcher has difficulty in finding the zone after throwing four intentional balls.
PhatMack19
AG
This is a great tweet

Agsncws
AG
In 2014, the Giants won a playoff game against the Nats by scoring on a wild intentional pitch. Wasn't a walk off situation, but it was the difference in the game and pivotal in deciding the series.
TexasRebel
AG
There ought to be a provision that the pitches must be thrown if the go-ahead run is on the field.
twk
AG
TexasRebel said:

There ought to be a provision that the pitches must be thrown if the go-ahead run is on the field.
I understand where you are coming from with that, but, if you don't do this on a regular basis, it becomes even more of a crapshoot for the team trying to execute under pressure. Either you make them throw it all the time, or you let them waive the guy down to first all the time.

The college rule back when I was in school was to waive them down to first. We had plenty of drama without watching freshman relievers trying to accurately execute an intentional walk.
Tex100
AG
Since the intentional walk comes up when the team in the field feels danger in pitching to the batter, I think they should be forced to execute the four pitches.
TXAggie2011
AG
Well, about 50% or more of the MLB Players Association membership is pitchers, so while I don't know their voting rules, I'm sure at least half of the membership was saying they supported the rule change.
histag10
AG
jkag89 said:

For a season or two college ball did not make you throw the pitches. IMO it does not save enough time in a game to use as a provision in an attempt shorten games. Now things like what happened tonight certainly don't happen often but they do happen. What does happen fairly often is that the pitcher has difficulty in finding the zone after throwing four intentional balls.

And the 4 intentional balls also count against his pitch count, and he is physically throwing the ball, which can wear down his arm. Doesnt seem fair to intentionally walk someone and the pitcher leaves that batter without having thrown a pitch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.