Why don't we have any weekend series with regional rivals?

9,071 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was watching the t.u/Rice game today, and I started thinking that it would be really cool to have a 3 game series against Rice.

I mean don't get me wrong, I have no issues with playing them on tuesday nights. But it would be fun to see a home weekend series against a team like Rice, UH, Baylor, or Dallas Baptist instead of teams like Bowling Green and Brown.
Sea Gull
AG
I would think it's because we don't need them.
jkag89
With northern schools a return trip is not expected. I assume that we are trying to maximize weekend home dates. The BDF has two extra non-conference weekends to play with in which we don't now that we are in the SEC.
Rusty GCS
AG
The Big 12 only has 9 teams that play baseball and several of them are pretty lowly.

Rice is in a "mid major" and needs an RPI boost.

It makes sense for those teams to play a weekend series strategically. In the SEC you will have all you can handle.

I do wish we had more weekend series with regional rivals though. tu, Rice, Texas Tech, UH (screw Baylor though. No thanks)
Capt. America
AG
I like the idea of playing the likes of Texas or Rice in a two game mid-week series like we always seem to do with UTRGV. One game here. One there.
W
AG
as previously mentioned...SEC teams only get 4 non-conference weekends. And A&M wants to / will always have 3 of those 4 weekends at Blue Bell Park.

looking back to 2013...that's the season where the Ags got "caught" in an over-scheduling problem and only had 2 non-conference weekends at home. Paid for it dearly in the W-L column too that year.

I would be more inclined to drop the MM Classic participation and schedule a second "name / decent" non-conference opponent. Maybe one from the East Coast to balance the one from the West Coast. Will be interesting to see who the Ags pick up after Pepperdine
Aggie
AG
Duck Patrol said:

I really wish the " we don't need them" argument would disappear forever. Dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Nobody really " needs" anyone.
W
AG
for the record...Pepperdine has only made regional play 2 times in the last 8 seasons. (2012, 2014)

so twice A&M has scheduled and played a non-regional Waves team: 2013 and 2016.

only once played a good one: 2012
jkag89
W said:

as previously mentioned...SEC teams only get 4 non-conference weekends. And A&M wants to / will always have 3 of those 4 weekends at Blue Bell Park.

looking back to 2013...that's the season where the Ags got "caught" in an over-scheduling problem and only had 2 non-conference weekends at home. Paid for it dearly in the W-L column too that year.

I would be more inclined to drop the MM Classic participation and schedule a second "name / decent" non-conference opponent. Maybe one from the East Coast to balance the one from the West Coast. Will be interesting to see who the Ags pick up after Pepperdine
Yep, but you can not quibble too much with this year's MM Classic. As a BDF/SEC matchup it should be fun and we haven't played tech since the move to the SEC and TCU has been the thorn in our side these past two seasons.
W
AG
Agreed.

what I don't like about the one-at-a-time tournaments...a team doesn't get to take advantage of what it did to the opponent's bullpen in the previous game. Another team gets to benefit
Sea Gull
AG
Aggie said:

Duck Patrol said:

I really wish the " we don't need them" argument would disappear forever. Dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Actually, your argument is completely false.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Aggie said:

Duck Patrol said:

How is it false?
DWren
Duck Patrol said:

Aggie said:

Duck Patrol said:

Actually, you're wrong
wareagle044
Sidebar: Auburn always plays Alabama in a Non-Conference game in Montgomery each year called the Capital City Classic. I always thought that was weird -- winning that game is almost more of a big deal than winning the conference series, and that's probably because Auburn always wins it - it seems

I could get on board with A&M doing this against LSU in Houston.
HoustonAg2106
AG
wareagle044 said:

Sidebar: Auburn always plays Alabama in a Non-Conference game in Montgomery each year called the Capital City Classic. I always thought that was weird -- winning that game is almost more of a big deal than winning the conference series, and that's probably because Auburn always wins it - it seems

I don't know a lot about Alabama and Auburn baseball, but I would imagine a conference series is more important than a non conference game against each other.
zagman
AG
We are already playing the sips in Austin and the classless clowns, tcu and baylor in the Minute Maid Classic. What more do you dumpster fire lovers want?
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
wareagle044
HoustonAg2106 said:

wareagle044 said:

I don't know a lot about Alabama and Auburn baseball, but I would imagine a conference series is more important than a non conference game against each other.
For conference positioning and overall RPI, yes -- for pride, the game in Montgomery always seems to be played a little harder than the series.
wareagle044
zagman said:

We are already playing the sips in Austin and the classless clowns, tcu and baylor in the Minute Maid Classic. What more do you dumpster fire lovers want?

Weird to think that is almost half of the conference played in one season, here's hoping to a sweep.
HoustonAg2106
AG
wareagle044 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

wareagle044 said:

For conference positioning and overall RPI, yes -- for pride, the game in Montgomery always seems to be played a little harder than the series.

I'll take your word for it.
TMartin
~A&M usually plays state rivals mid week and always draws the other team's ace while A&M pitches somebody not counted on for the weekend conference games. Rice is notorious for pitching their best guy against A&M for RPI because they play in such a weak conference and can afford to do this.
Aggies2009
AG
TMartin said:

~A&M usually plays state rivals mid week and always draws the other team's ace while A&M pitches somebody not counted on for the weekend conference games. Rice is notorious for pitching their best guy against A&M for RPI because they play in such a weak conference and can afford to do this.
Hate that they get the RPI boost when they beat us in said situation. Throw their best guy when we play them in one-off games.

Heck, even tu trotted out their best pitcher when we played them this past season. At least Barash ended him first thing out of the gate.
TXAggie2011
AG
Other SEC schools play tough non-conference, instate rivals. "The SEC is enough" isn't very satisfying when Florida, a South Carolina, and others are traveling to Florida State, Clemson, and others.

"We don't need them" is a terrible argument.
TXAggie2011
AG
zagman said:

That kind of weekend "series" scheduling more often.

And preferably a chance to get a weekend series with some good regional rivals at Olsen Field every now and then even if we have to give up a series with ****ing Brown or Dartmouth every other season when we have to go on the road.
Aggies2009
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Other SEC schools play tough non-conference, instate rivals. "The SEC is enough" isn't very satisfying when Florida, a South Carolina, and others are traveling to Florida State, Clemson, and others.

"We don't need them" is a terrible argument.
Florida only plays Florida State in midweek games where we ARE playing Texas and other in-state rivals like Rice usually. Also, we're playing a lot of in-state teams in the Minute-Maid classic.
TXAggie2011
AG
Okay. Miami then.

(And they play three with FSU each year. Seems like getting more hands 2 total decent midweek games hasnt happened for us in awhile, but you can check that if you want.)
TXAggie2011
AG
And the MMP this year is an anomaly. And at some point I'd like to see those kinds of games at Olsen. But you can read my above post for that sentiment.
Aggies2009
AG
I mean, they do play a good Miami team amid the teams like Dartmouth that you mentioned by name.... But they also didn't have a lot of their in-state people crying that they'd never play again because they left for a better conference.

I'd like to see Cal State Fullerton again. And Fresno last year was awesome. It's nice to play new teams from out west.
Aggies2009
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Okay. Miami then.

(And they play three with FSU each year. Seems like getting more hands 2 total decent midweek games hasnt happened for us in awhile, but you can check that if you want.)
Last year we played Texas, Rice, and Houston in the midweek, all in-state opponents.
TXAggie2011
AG
Aggies2009 said:

But they also didn't have a lot of their in-state people crying that they'd never play again because they left for a better conference.
Grow up and get over it. It's ****ing sports. Not a dinner party.
Aggies2009
AG
Tell that to tu, Baylor, tceh, and others who vowed to never play us again. Glad we're in the talks for games here and there now. But I think it'll be a long time before one of them agrees on playing a series.
ColoradoMooseHerd
TXAggie2011 said:

Aggies2009 said:

But they also didn't have a lot of their in-state people crying that they'd never play again because they left for a better conference.
Are you saying that to Texas or who? Not sure if you get it or not.
TXAggie2011
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Tell that to tu, Baylor, tceh, and others who vowed to never play us again.

Someone could easily say the same to you because we have a schedule that you don't like.
If they refuse to schedule A&M, then they refuse to A&M.

(But hint: you just touted having on the schedule the most egregious of that bunch, outside of a tournament setting)
TXAggie2011
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Are you saying that to Texas or who? Not sure if you get it or not.

I'm talking about whoever is still engaged in that pissing match who would rather fight it out with quotes in the newspaper or a message board and not play on t field.

In my view, those who matter at Texas seem to have gotten over it. They came to Olsen. And I'm glad our leadership seem to have gotten over it, too. At least partially.
TXAggie2011
AG
To get the thread back on track, we're blessed geographically to have some exciting, meaningful, helpful non-conference schedules and I think we often do a less-than-goodnjob taking advantage of it.

We give ourselves a smaller margin of error in conference play compared to a lot of top programs we compete for regionals and super regionals with.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

looking back to 2013...that's the season where the Ags got "caught" in an over-scheduling problem and only had 2 non-conference weekends at home. Paid for it dearly in the W-L column too that year
The 2013 team lost opening day at home to UIC and the next weekend lost 2 out of 3 at home.

They lost a series at home to a pretty bad Auburn club, too. And then got swept at home to Mississippi State.

The 2013 paid dearly for not being that good of a team. Not because they played a tournament and an away nom-conference series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.