So 50 runs opening weekend...

3,018 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bowling Green Massacre
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now the question is, how much of those were them and how much is us. Bowling Green did error left and right, or did we just reload on offense with the new roster?
W
AG
time will tell.

should have a better idea about the club after the MM Classic.

it was definitely very important to sweep BG. They kind of looked like a 200+ RPI team
Rock1982
AG
Crazy.

BG isn't very good, but the games were still fun!

Some of the freshmen show good potential.
caleblyn
I did not get to watch but kept up via live stat tracker.

What were you most pleased with and what was disappointing?

Any concerns after the first series? Might be hard to gauge with such poor completion but considering, try and think of something.
Wildman15
AG
Really impressed with how the freshman handled themselves. Yes, it was Bowling Green, but overall I was happy with how things turned out.
W
AG
Choruby at the top of the order---> 8 hits & 5 walks ...10 runs scored
Quinn
AG
Bowling Green was atrocious, but our guys still looked good at the plate.
Duck Blind
AG
Per a BG fan, Friday night was only their second time on grass.
Luke The Drifter
AG
We've lost to 200+ RPI teams on opening weekend or early in the season before, so a sweep is great. These are scheduled to be glorified batting practices, so mission accomplished. Pepperdine will be tougher next weekend then the trip to Houston will be tougher than that.

Just glad we didn't pull this garbage:

2014 - Dropped a February game to Sacramento State, 1-0
2013 - Lost on opening to to Illinois-Chicago, 2-0
2012 - Lost a February game to Holy Cross, 7-3 (10 innings)
2011 - Lost a February game to Gonzaga, 6-3
2010 - Lost February games to SFA (7-6) and Western Kentucky (5-1)
2009 - Lost a February game to Centenary, 8-4
2008 - Lost two opening weekend games to Northern Colorado, 3-1 and 4-2
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Amazing Moves
They beat BG like a good team should. This team is obviously better than pre-season expectations. How much better remains to be seen.
EKG1996
AG
Our offensive numbers were greatly impacted by BG errors and walks but we put some pressure on them with patient at bats and speed.

I think the positives were that most of the freshman looked very good. They had good abs and put good swings on the ball. We will see if they can be consistent and make adjustments when teams begin to scout them. Time will tell.

We seem to be a much faster team this year.

Defense looks good. If Janca can produce at the plate we should have one of the better infields in the SEC. I didn't really see any bad defensive plays by us in the three games except for a possible misplay in LF and a boneheaded play by one of our pitchers.

Seem to have several options at catcher which was one of the big question marks coming in.

Despite hitting three homers I don't think we are going to put up big power numbers. Pennington doesn't seem like a typical cleanup hitter to me. It will be interesting to see how the lineup evolves during the season. Davis needs to prove that he can be that consistent RBI guy.

Bullpen concerns me. We seem to have a lot of talent and potential but it make take some time to figure out roles and who to trust. I think we need Martin to be one of the main guys and he didn't have a good outing. Seemed a little too hittable and his body language wasn't the best. Seems to have good stuff but that only gets you so far.

Didn't really get to see how our guys respond to a lot of pressure situations but the few times they did, they seemed to respond well (took the lead back quickly after falling behind, pitchers came up with clutch strikeouts a few times).

HoustonAg2106
AG
None of this matters until SEC play.
Sea Gull
AG
Bowling Green was one of the worst teams I've ever seen play D1 baseball. Really hard to tell how good we are.
e cartman
AG
50 runs
46 hits
26 walks
6 hbp
12 errors

With the 44 free bases it could be argued that we might have underperformed offensively!

Falcons were the most inept team I've watched in an awfully long time.
TempleAg97
AG
Improved defense and a tremendous infusion of freshman talent is what I saw. Should be fun to watch this team grow.
Basketball and Chain
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

We're going to be relying on a lot of underclassmen this year. The OOC early season schedule is crucial for us, IMO. And we have the opportunity for several resume building wins before SEC play starts, too.
TexasRebel
AG
While not perfect, there's a stat for that...

Earned runs.
AggieBand2004
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Incorrect. When you're a Texas program that almost always has 3-5 other regional-quality teams in your immediate region, all of this matters.
HoustonAg2106
AG
When I said none of it matters what I meant was that we won't really know what this team is made of until they start playing SEC level competition.

Don't get me wrong, I could not have thought of a better way to start the season...but you have to consider the opponent too
TXAGBQ76
AG
Most of our runs (50) were not due to there errors; that's pure nonsense. They had 5-6 errors in three games.

I agree their pitching was bad, but our hitters showed a lot of patience at the plate and almost every hit was hard- even the outs.

BG is picked up finish 4-5 in their conference- which most likely will not be very good.

I'm betting they have had no outdoor practice time and are making a big southern swing the next 4 weeks or so to get some real baseball time in.
jkag89
e cartman said:

50 runs
46 hits
26 walks
6 hbp
12 errors

With the 44 free bases it could be argued that we might have underperformed offensively!

If this was a club that was composed mostly of returning & proven players and the weekend unfolded in the same manner, would you express the same concern? Yes Bowling Green appears to be rather inept and as such it is difficult to determine just how good the Ags might be based upon this weekend, but what I saw was rather encouraging considering all the new faces.
TXAGBQ76
AG
The entire coaching staff has said numerous times in the off season this team will not match the power of last year's- but instead will be based on good hitting, base running and speed. Speed was obvious this weekend.

Guitierez batted clean up in game three yesterday and did a good job. For the weekend he was 5/6 with three home runs a triple and a single, scored five times (I think) and had 6 RBIs (I think). If can do anywhere near that with a team with a pulse, he will stay there.

I was impressed with the freshmen that played; Davis may struggle to be the starter at first if he doesn't hit better than he did against average to below average pitching.

We will learn a lot more about this team in two weeks when play in the MMC in houston.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Most of our runs (50) were not due to there errors; that's pure nonsense. They had 5-6 errors in three games.

I agree their pitching was bad, but our hitters showed a lot of patience at the plate and almost every hit was hard- even the outs.

BG is picked up finish 4-5 in their conference- which most likely will not be very good.

I'm betting they have had no outdoor practice time and are making a big southern swing the next 4 weeks or so to get some real baseball time in.
They had 12 errors in three games this weekend...
Signel
AG
I can't remember a time a team had that may errors. It was like watching little league honestly.

I am sure they are better, but that was not a real test for our guys. Remember how well we did vs Florida's pitching staff? The sec bullpens will be an order of magnitude better than BG.
e cartman
AG
jkag89 said:

e cartman said:

50 runs
46 hits
26 walks
6 hbp
12 errors

If this was a club that was composed mostly of returning & proven players and the weekend unfolded in the same manner, would you express the same concern? Yes Bowling Green appears to be rather inept and as such it is difficult to determine just how good the Ags might be based upon this weekend, but what I saw was rather encouraging considering all the new faces.

I wasn't expressing any concern unless you are looking at it from the standpoint of a BG fan. I was pointing out that they were simply pathetic and our offensive numbers were very inflated due to that.

Until the Ags play someone that can: A) catch the ball and B) throw strikes, I don't think it's fair to draw conclusions either way.
themissinglink
AG
I agree that BG was possibly the worst team I've seen at Olsen in the past decade. Maybe with some outdoor practice, their fielding will improve, but the team that took the field will be lucky to finish in the middle of the MAC without substantial improvements. Just beating the crap out of BG doesn't mean anything other than we aren't a completely terrible team.

As other have mentioned, the most impressive part of the sweep was that the newcomers led the way. Davis, Janca and Homan were fairly pedestrian this weekend. Pennington had a decent weekend, but Chorby, Shewmake, Gutierrez, Coleman, and Foster stole the show. Looking at the way too early stats, there are a ton of newcomers at the top of the list. I'm excited to see if the new guys can lead the way as the competition gets stronger.
trippledip
AG
You could say that bowling green got...massacred!
Gentlemen, which brings me to my next point. Don't smoke crack. - Lawrence Taylor, The Waterboy
jkag89
Quote:

It was this line that caught my attention and what I was questioning. I completely agree it is not possible to determine much considering the rather inept performance by BG. The gist of what I was trying to convey was if this was a veteran club, we all probably not have thought twice about the quality of the competition and just enjoyed a successful weekend.
e cartman
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

It was this line that caught my attention and what I was questioning. I completely agree it is not possible to determine much considering the rather inept performance by BG. The gist of what I was trying to convey was if this was a veteran club, we all probably not have thought twice about the quality of the competition and just enjoyed a successful weekend.

Gotcha. The exclamation point at the end was supposed to express surprise, not concern.

Yeah, if this were last year's group it probably wouldn't register as much; would have just been chalked up to a terrible opponent.

Digging in a bit deeper, I do think the improved speed of this group led to forcing some of the errors. And some plate discipline obviously helped to increase the walk totals. There are some big positives in those horrific BG numbers.
Bowling Green Massacre
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.