Old man ranting about lost/changed traditions

5,493 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tonytx05
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1 (and probably my biggest complaint):

When we score, no one bangs on the back of the bleacher in front of them anymore. With four thousand aggies banging their rings on the metal the sound carries all the way to Rosenthal. Im not saying to stop the bubbles, but do both.

2. A no-out single is not the occasion for a greatbigshark. If you do it every hit, you have nowhere to go from there. Learn babyshark, mommashark, and daddyshark.

3. No rally rooster (hope we don't ever need it.)
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yeah winning 15-1 and 19-2 required the rooster; we might have scored 20 in each game had the rooster appeared.

There is a rally chicken that runs the left field area- when needed.
Capitol Ag
AG
The Debt said:

1 (and probably my biggest complaint):

When we score, no one bangs on the back of the bleacher in front of them anymore. With four thousand aggies banging their rings on the metal the sound carries all the way to Rosenthal. Im not saying to stop the bubbles, but do both.

2. A no-out single is not the occasion for a greatbigshark. If you do it every hit, you have nowhere to go from there. Learn babyshark, mommashark, and daddyshark.

3. No rally rooster (hope we don't ever need it.)
On #1, why don't you start it? If you're at the game, be the guy to get it going. Many folks out there know to bang on the bleachers so I assume a few will follow. You gotta take initiative at Olsen sometimes. Also, the bubbles probably have a lot to do with the lack of bleacher banging.

As for the shark thing, it's that way every opening weekend. People who don't already know will learn over time.
tonytx05
AG
Even the fans need a little warm up opening weekend. Last run earned lots of bleacher banging.
TexasRebel
AG
On #1

They are poly now, not Al.
Wildman15
AG
Your hearing must be going out. Because the student section/general admission seating definitely still bangs our rings on the bleachers (I have brand new dents in mine to prove it).

I've also noticed that traditions are nonexistent wherever the alumni sit. So food for thought next time you go to a sporting event.
Sea Gull
AG
I do shark bite for every hit. Baby shark and mama shark are stupid.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Yes but the old man ranting tradition is alive and well.
BQ_90
AG
Thought the tradition was to bang the bleachers after s home run
Icecream_Ag
S
BQ_90 said:

Thought the tradition was to bang the bleachers after s home run
Nope runs scored is how it was done from 2000 at least
jkag89

I wish they would slow down the Ballllllllllllllllllllllllll Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive chant. Also wish they would take in consideration the batter before, if he reached base via a BB or hit by a pitch any balls should be added to those of four of the next batter. For example, the first hitter gets plucked on a 0-2 pitch then the next walks on four straight pitches, the chant should start on ball six and not five. Picky I know but we would come across as baseball savvy and not just ragging by rote.
Icecream_Ag
S
jkag89 said:

I wish they would slow down the Ballllllllllllllllllllllllll Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive chant. Also wish they would take in consideration the batter before, if he reached base via a BB or hit by a pitch any balls should be added to those of four of the next batter. For example, the first hitter gets plucked on a 0-2 pitch then the next walks on four straight pitches, the chant should start on ball six and not five. Picky I know but we would come across as baseball savvy and not just ragging by rote.
So much yes on the speed of the chant. Sounds like a bunch of virgins in a brothel with how fast they go now.

I remember having a conversation with K-man about the chant, and they always started it after 4 straight balls, then shifted to a walk on 4 straight balls. Sometime in the past it changed to a 4-0 walk.

Personally always thought it would be more effective if a dude loses an 0-2 count to a walk, but I've been told that's stupid.
Wabs
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

jkag89 said:

So much yes on the speed of the chant. Sounds like a bunch of virgins in a brothel with how fast they go now.

I remember having a conversation with K-man about the chant, and they always started it after 4 straight balls, then shifted to a walk on 4 straight balls. Sometime in the past it changed to a 4-0 walk.

Personally always thought it would be more effective if a dude loses an 0-2 count to a walk, but I've been told that's stupid.

That's stupid!
LeftyAg89
AG
jkag
Yep I noticed that last night and last year as well. Slow it down just a little please,,, then it has a nice Chinese water torture effect!
aggiebrad94
AG
First time to a game in person in too long to count. I loved seeing the renovated stadium. It is a beautiful place to watch a game.

1) I missed the players running onto the field as they were introduced. I loved having the Anthem, the players huddling, and then sprinting to their positions as they were announced.

2) Student section looks very small

3) I forced myself to share a pint of Blue Bell with my son

4) We have some pitchers with some nasty stuff
Icecream_Ag
S
aggiebrad94 said:

First time to a game in person in too long to count. I loved seeing the renovated stadium. It is a beautiful place to watch a game.

1) I missed the players running onto the field as they were introduced. I loved having the Anthem, the players huddling, and then sprinting to their positions as they were announced.

1) it's been war hymn, introduction, anthem for awhile now. Junior Aggie members get to be at positions with the players for the anthem.
2) it is and going away completely due to 12MF greed.
3) get him his own, duh.
4)understatement
TempleAg97
AG
Duck Patrol said:

I do shark bite for every hit. Baby shark and mama shark are stupid.

Amen, amen!!!!! This! Baby shark is the dumbest thing ever!

And I was banging the hell out of the bleacher in front of me with my ring as usual.

Great weekend at Olsen!
The Debt
I guess you will be doing greatbigshark when reaching first on a bunt.

"YUGE HIT THE PRESSURE IS ON!"
TempleAg97
AG
That's just being goofy and argumentative. It's ALL in good fun. I just think that anything enthusiastic and making noise is helping the team/atmosphere and little baby shark thing is weird and dumb. It doesn't make noise. I wouldn't start a thread about it but since somebody else said it first, what the hell. Ha.
Wildman15
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

1) All of that happened on game one of the series, so you missed out.
2) Still loud and proud
3) Don't ever share blue bell. Ever.
4) Agreed
TXAGBQ76
AG
Regarding 2, the demand for season tickets has grown hugely since moving to the SEC. You gripe about the student section decreasing, while those who cannot get season tickets gripe because they cannot get season tickets.

But yeah, those greedy former students who want to watch the Aggie baseball team play.

There is a plan for additing more seats, a mezzanine in the outfield, etc. that will help. That will be done after the new track and softball facilities are done.
The Debt
I feel like midweek games should have the old GA sections. Hell, they are too low attended for anyone to care really.

Weekends, however, I do not want to see students relegated to the grass. If you move students out there, you limit the heckling and there goes the culture of Olsen.
Wildman15
AG
The Debt said:

I feel like midweek games should have the old GA sections. Hell, they are too low attended for anyone to care really.

Weekends, however, I do not want to see students relegated to the grass. If you move students out there, you limit the heckling and there goes the culture of Olsen.

It's all about that dollar. If they can expand on season ticket sales versus the $8.50 for a general admission ticket, then students are going to get booted to the grass
TXAGBQ76
AG
I've not seen anything that says students have lost seats, that students have/will be relegated to the grass, etc.

GA does not mean student only seating; when I have sat up there, a majority of the folks sitting there do not appear to be students- unless they are really old PhD candidates.

Students can get there early enough to own the GA section if they want to.

The 12th Man Foundation funds all of the athletic teams for the University- so technically you are correct, every dollar counts. Only two sports make any money- football and men's basketball- they help pay for everything else.

For instance, in one of the best baseball seasons in a whole, where lots of tickets were sold, where we hosted a regional and super regional, we lost ~$200K- and this one one of our better years financially.

Women's basketball pretty much eats up everything the men's team brings in.

And we haven't even started talking about two track teams, two tennis teams, softball, equestrian, etc.- none of which generates revenue.

The Debt
Title IX is an anchor tied around the necks of every university, but it hurts smaller schools disproportionately.
Icecream_Ag
S
TXAGBQ76 said:

I've not seen anything that says students have lost seats, that students have/will be relegated to the grass, etc.

GA does not mean student only seating; when I have sat up there, a majority of the folks sitting there do not appear to be students- unless they are really old PhD candidates.

Students can get there early enough to own the GA section if they want to.

The 12th Man Foundation funds all of the athletic teams for the University- so technically you are correct, every dollar counts. Only two sports make any money- football and men's basketball- they help pay for everything else.

For instance, in one of the best baseball seasons in a whole, where lots of tickets were sold, where we hosted a regional and super regional, we lost ~$200K- and this one one of our better years financially.

Women's basketball pretty much eats up everything the men's team brings in.

And we haven't even started talking about two track teams, two tennis teams, softball, equestrian, etc.- none of which generates revenue.

so students can piss off is what you are saying?

Has it ever freaking occurred to you that one of the reasons its so hard to get tickets to baseball is because of the unique atmosphere? Running all of the GA seats to the grass will destroy that in a heartbeat.

Now we'll have a couple of games that get rowdy when its exciting and the rest will be some occassional clapping just like every other baseball stadium in the country.

Woo-Hoo!
TXAGBQ76
AG
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I see.

I am all for the students having seats. Again, I've not seen anything that says students are banished to the grass. I agree the demand for seats has grown since joining the SEC and playing higher caliber teams and playing competitively against those teams.

So, what is your solution; tell former students to piss off? You are against working to keep both happy?
Icecream_Ag
S
One of the things that makes Olsen unique is the large ga/student section down the first base line. Their involvement is why teams love playing here.

Moving that to the grass, which is the plan despite what you think you've seen, will kill the atmosphere.

So yes, tell the former students to piss off and get on the waiting list for the outfield seats
TXAGBQ76
AG
Gotcha. I guess in all my years in going to Aggie baseball games in both stadiums, I did not realize that only the folks sitting in the GA section created all of the atmosphere. Had I known that, I would have not made that donation to the rebuilding effort. We should have just built a three section stadium and saved a lot of money.

I never realized how critical "get in the box", "get out of the box", "go to your home coach" and the ever fear inducing "helloooo" (shouted at our fans) and of course the shiver inducing "Schultz Roofing song" was.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

One of the things that makes Olsen unique is the large ga/student section down the first base line. Their involvement is why teams love playing here.

Moving that to the grass, which is the plan despite what you think you've seen, will kill the atmosphere.

So yes, tell the former students to piss off and get on the waiting list for the outfield seats

Will you feel that way when you are a former student?
Icecream_Ag
S
I've been a college grad for more than a decade and still fill like that.
TexasRebel
AG
Seconded
HoustonAg2106
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

I've been a college grad for more than a decade and still fill like that.

Well season ticket holders are not going to moved to the grass, or I wouldn't be buying them.
TexasRebel
AG
Then start acting like a student.

Do you trade the atmosphere for money? Without the atmosphere ticket sales fall.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TexasRebel said:

Then start acting like a student.

Do you trade the atmosphere for money? Without the atmosphere ticket sales fall.

I was there this weekend, the atmosphere was great.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.