Just double checking -- 202, 203, 204 are still GA, right?

3,295 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggieangler93
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The ensign_beedrill GA section at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park
CactusThomas
AG
Do it
TXAGBQ76
AG
probably like Kyle Field; our season ticket prices are higher than any other school's in order to offset the ~34K student tickets available in prime areas. while I personally would be okay paying say double for my season tickets, there will be a ton who are complaining about GA getting smaller/going away who will be even more vocal about the increase in their cost of season tickets.

I get the frustration with 12th Man at times, but when the program spends much more than they generate in revenue (i.e. last year it was almost $200K in the red), how do you cover that year after year. Rarely does any college baseball program even break even- much less make more than expenses.
ensign_beedrill
AG
So we need to make up the difference between the GA price and the reserved price? I'm going to do some math.

Assume 600 seats in those two sections and a schedule of 36 home games. It's a possible 21,600 seat sales per season. If the sections are 75% full on average with a GA ticket cost of $8.50, that's a total of $137,700.

A season ticket in the upper deck along the baselines is $255. If the two sections completely sell out as season tickets, that's $153,000.

With those assumptions, 12th Man loses $15,300 per year in ticket sales by not selling two sections as season tickets. Let's round up to make it a more conservative estimate and say $20,000.

If they went the route of increasing season ticket prices, it'd be an increase of $4-5 per season ticket. (I'm assuming there's something like 5000 season tickets... I don't know.) But I don't want that, because that's not a guarantee that they still won't just increase ticket prices and move GA anyway. So. $20,000 a year to save the best student section in college baseball. Is it possible? A one-time fundraising event might work, but I don't think we could do it every year.

Hey.... doesn't Schulte owe the students for all that free advertising?
BQ_90
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

I meant saying something like this to A&M:

"I will pay x dollars for you to keep 202 and 203 as GA seating."

Not buying the seats, A&M can still sell them. It's just an agreement that A&M will only sell them as GA and will not sell them as season tickets. How much would it cost to get that agreement?
Basically subtract prince of season ticket minus individual game price X number games then the number of GA seats you want to reserve.

But it's more about providing seats to former students or season ticket holders than trying to accommodate students
BQ_90
AG
Well most aren't paying for GA they are using sports pass.

Hell say they're free, so the AD is making approx 150k more to kick students out?

That tells you all they care about is money, not sure that 150k matters in the grand scheme of the AD budget
ensign_beedrill
ensign_beedrill
AG
How much is a non-football sports pass these days? How many students buy a sports pass and then don't go to every game (or most games)?
BQ_90
AG
Doesn't really matter, it's not amount money, it's about selling season tickets to former students, the money is secondary
Captain Pablo
AG
Ah screw it

I'll just watch the games on TV
Baby Billy
AG
2 sections of GA. Section 202 has about 15 seats taken out by a camera well, and 10 more that are useless because the camera well blocks the view of home plate. Then, you have your normal Group of 15-20 people that are at every game and are always first in line at the gate to get into the section no matter what. After all that, you have about a section and a half of actual GA seating for normal folk.

I'm a student, and will get there any time I have to in order to get a seat, but finding other students/girls willing to do the same thing is challenging to say the least. Way more GA seating is needed (not grass)
Aggieangler93
AG
Season ticket holders are guaranteed money. They have been sold out the last 3 years. So, logic would show, that if you want to make more money, and not piss off your very large funding base of former students, you make more season ticket seats.

Am I onboard with making the student section no longer for students? NO
Does my opinion, or frankly, anyone that sits in the upper deck matter to folks in charge? DOUBTFUL
What speaks to their Accounting department is this: A sport losing money on the whole, has a chance to add more money, with no outlay of any expenditures on their part, in order to do so. Return on investment: 100%
If you think differently, I am sorry, but that doesn't change reality.

I hope they get the stadium changes made, which will add more season ticket holder seats, and then let students back into the 200s like they should be! I just wish we weren't waiting to start Olsen renovations. As soon as we win in Omaha, they should start tearing out the 3rd base berm. (That's right....I said it!)

As far as I am concerned, who cares what else is being renovated right now? It shouldn't factor in the decision at all, if you have the funds. Are we to believe there is only one General Contractor available in Texas that could do the job, and they are busy with the other stadiums?

Sorry....I just got out of a huge client meeting, and they made me really mad!!!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.