Former Olsen Field PA Derrick DD Grubbs has a book

7,162 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BCSWguru
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just saw this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/No-Gold-Watch-Outside-Lines/dp/1457544067/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486319165&sr=8-1&keywords=derrick+grubbs

Capitol Ag
AG
Good find! Want to pick one up.
Duck Blind
AG
God he made Aggie baseball games fun.

While there may not be a plaque or section of Olsen named after DD, he doesn't need that to know he left a legacy behind. I was a student in the 80s. Saw all 3 tu games in '89. DD made going to the Shack on the Track unbelievably fun. From his game time temperature announcement of "It's XX BEAT THE HELL OUTTA XX DEGREES" (insert actual temp and opponent), to SMOKE EM IF YOU GOT EM BUT ONLY ON THE BOTTOM...to the Rifleman and so much more...Aggie baseball games became a part of my college experience. A passion in part due to DD. Today, at 49, I share the love for Olsen with my children...DD helped create that. I tell them the old stories. They sing along to the Rifleman... DDs legacy lives on in my children because of the love and excitement for Aggie Baseball he put in me as a student.

Gig em DD.
woodometer
AG
Just bought the book and finished reading the section about his Texas A&M athletic department years. Very revealing about life inside the athletic department in the eighties. Confirms alot of the rumors that you heard in those days.

DD if you happen to read this I do have to disagree with one thing you said. You say in the book that you have no legacy of your time at Texas A&M, except for maybe "The Rifleman" theme still being played at games.

There is a thing called "Olsen Magic". It like many things at Texas A&M is hard to explain. Other sports have tried to replicate it but have not been able to. It is unique to Olsen Field and it traces back to those amazing days in the mid and late eighties when a guy made college baseball games so much fun that you had to be there for every game. You had to get to the game hours early to make sure to secure the best seats in the upper deck. So many weekends spent at the park. There is a group of students called Raggies that were formed because of what you started and they continue to this day preserving and carrying on traditions old and new that all trace back to the atmosphere you gave birth to with your talent and creativity. So DD, "Olsen Magic" and Texas Aggie Baseball, that's your legacy at Texas A&M and I for one will be forever grateful. I think I can speak for alot of old "Raggies" in saying you will not be forgotten.
MROD92
Bocephus
AG
Ordered it
monarch
S
For those of you who don't know him or understand what he meant to Aggie baseball and the fans back in the day, I'm telling you he was funnier than s**t. Every game was so much fun: the "shack on the track" was the place to be on baseball day. The guy was just freaking hilarious. You went to Olsen Field to see the Ags play, but you also went to Olsen Field to see what kinda crap DD was going to pull. That was some of the most fun I ever had in my life.
aggiebrad94
AG
I sat in the pressbox next to him for several games during the '89 regional. All of the music and sound effects you enjoy today - he did with cassette tapes and a keyboard.
85AustinAg
AG
Wish we could find a spot in the AD for this Aggie treasure.
67walkon
DD is the original originator of fun at Olsen. God Bless him. Hope he sells a million
Mark Fairchild
AG
Absolutely agree with everything you posted.DD's influence is "alive and well" at Olsen!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
twk
AG
DD did it all with audio (no video boards). I need to order the book, but I'm really bad about reading books in my spare time so I don't know when I will get around it to it, but if DD says he didn't leave a legacy, then he's mistaken. You have to remember that DD was doing his thing at the same time that Roger Feldman was doing PA for football and basketball--you couldn't have two bigger contrasts. DD's style was so ingrained into Aggie baseball that when he left, the new guys did their best to copy much of DD's act, although Rick Hill definitely has added his own touch. I'm convinced that you wouldn't have heard anything but very straight-laced PA work when DD left if he hadn't established a legacy.

Pre-'89, attendance at baseball games was pretty pathetic. I remember the team playing Arkansas over Spring Break in '87, and Friday was scheduled to be seat cushion day--the first 500 fans into the park got free seat cushions, sponsored by Smith Dairy Queens. I got my seat cushion Friday afternoon (didn't play night games until after Spring Break back in those days), then when I came back for the Saturday DH, the Diamond Darlings working the gate told me I could have as many seat cushions as I wanted--they didn't want any left over. DD had to generate the energy that small crowds like that couldn't generate. Between DD, and the opportunity for more targeted, and clever ragging (due to the fact that the players--and umpires--could hear what you were saying from the upper deck), Aggie baseball was still a lot of fun, even before the crowds came. The classic DD moment, as far I'm concerned, was DD playing "Three Blind Mice" on the keyboard after Jon Bible blew a call. Bible, being the hot dog that he was, turned to the box and waived for DD to cut it out. After that batter was retired to end the inning, DD's between inning music selection was the Doobie Brothers, "Listen to the Music."
TAMU1990
AG
I consider myself lucky to have been a student during the 89 season. Thanks DD!
MB19
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

I consider myself lucky to have been a student during the 89 season. Thanks DD!
Me too.
SMM48
AG
Don't forget Dd would lead "take me out to the ball game" from the top of the dugout.
Hop
Staff
AG
Back in the 1980's, students did dominate attendance which is why spring break games were dead. But I was in school from 1983-1989 and from about 1985 on student attendance was pretty solid. 1989 put it over the top and cemented the environment for decades, but there were plenty of big games and big crowds in 1985-1988.

Wasn't it 1987 when A&M hosted No. 1 OSU in a mid-week game that was televised on ESPN and the place was packed. Some of the Raggies wore tuxedos for the national TV cameras (back then, it was almost unheard of for college baseball in the regular season to be televised) and it was electric.
Bocephus
AG
So basically the guy invented walk-up music. I'd say he left a legacy.
dixichkn
AG
"Didn't leave a legacy" my ass.......the Raggies are his "children". Pretty much everything that makes Olsen such a special place to play and attend started with that guy. I was at A&M from 87-90.....let me tell you, even though I can probably give you more detail about the games that I attended at Kyle during that time, I'll tell you what I miss more.....the afternoons at Olsen with about 500 people there, giving the other team hell, and DD holding court. That guy started something special. Don't let him downplay what he did there.
EMY92
AG
I remember watching a game on Raycom (or whatever it was back then) in 1990 or so. It was at Arkansas against another SWC team.

The TV announcers commented on the Arkie walkup music and other PA stuff with, "DD Grubbs, if you're watching, they're stealing your act!"
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
EMY92 said:

, "DD Grubbs, if you're watching, they're stealing your act!"
I have known Derrick aka DD since he was a kid at Bryan High School. He is now at U T Arlington.

Arkansas and many other schools sent people to College Station to learn how he did what he did.

Arkansas copied the broken auto glass and horn honking and the MOO from the cow after a foul ball out of the park.

He is a legacy at A&M baseball.

It was a travesty to let a non-Aggie run off an Aggie legend and you know who you are.

It is time for a public apology from that person who is still around screwing things up.

PS My favorite thing DD did was to run from the announcers booth to the third base dugout roof and sing "I wish they all could be Aggie girls" (audio music from from the Beach Boys California Girls). He dressed like Michael Jackson, with one glove. From a distance (curly hair etc) he looked exactly like Weird Al Yankovich.

Great times.
twk
AG
The OSU game at Olsen was '88 (we played them in Stillwater in '87). That game, and the Astros exhibition that season, were the first times that we filled the park for anyone other than the sips.
Bocephus
AG
pepe the dog said:

EMY92 said:

, "DD Grubbs, if you're watching, they're stealing your act!"
I have known Derrick aka DD since he was a kid at Bryan High School. He is now at U T Arlington.

Arkansas and many other schools sent people to College Station to learn how he did what he did.

Arkansas copied the broken auto glass and horn honking and the MOO from the cow after a foul ball out of the park.

He is a legacy at A&M baseball.

It was a travesty to let a non-Aggie run off an Aggie legend and you know who you are.

It is time for a public apology from that person who is still around screwing things up.

PS My favorite thing DD did was to run from the announcers booth to the third base dugout roof and sing "I wish they all could be Aggie girls" (audio music from from the Beach Boys California Girls). He dressed like Michael Jackson, with one glove. From a distance (curly hair etc) he looked exactly like Weird Al Yankovich.

Great times.

In his book he blames JDC
Mark Fairchild
AG
There really needs to be a book about this!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
woodometer
AG
He also mentions the person who shall remain nameless in the book but does not mention his name. That is the only person that he does not mention by name. Its a great read.
isitjustme
AG
I really loved going to the baseball games when DD was announcing. I was a raggie and while we weren't always politically correct by today's standards (not by any means), we had a blast messing with the other teams' players. And DD helped us along as much as he could. Awesome times!
Bocephus
AG
Just curious, anyone who is around the Aggies these days, does Blazing Saddles still encompass a lot of the movie quotes thrown out there?
Derrick Grubbs
I know I'm coming to the party kinda late - the discussion on TexAgs regarding my years working at A&M looks to have taken place back in February....but being "late to the party" isn't anything new for this "Old Ag!".
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the kind comments! It really made my day and I actually got a lump in my throat. To those of you who purchased a copy of my book "No Gold Watch" I thank you so much. Obviously my years at A&M are a huge part of my story. I had occasion to see some old friends a couple of weeks ago when the Aggies came to Arlington to play UTA, including Coach Rob Childress. What a class act! I also had a really nice talk with Dave South.....so we can put that to rest. My years at A&M were so special, as I write in my book. If some of you wish to believe that I left a legacy there, I will gratefully and humbly accept that. Olsen Field will always have that "Magic"....and the greatest fans anywhere!
Thanks to you all....and GIG 'EM!!!
D.D. Grubbs '81
EKG1996
BohunkAg
AG
I will say that in my younger years I did some baseball PA....and DD inspired a LOT of what I did. And I used cassette tapes too! He was/is a trailblazer and a big part of what has made the Aggie baseball atmosphere special and unique IMO
aggiebrad94
AG
Glad you finally made it DD. One my worst favorite memories of your time at A&M was after we lost to LSU in '89. I was a high school kid doing the scoreboard for AC and wanted to cry for MJ and the team. I remember how professional you were congratulating the Tigers and wishing them well at the CWS. I know how hard it is to be professional sometimes and you did it well.
farmrag
Bought the kindle version and sent a paperback to my daughter. Can't wait to start reading.
Gigemchicken90
AG
I had a STAT prof in 1987 that told us we should try out an Aggie baseball game one afternoon. That one day changed my springs forever. I became a huge Aggie baseball fan and yes a lot of it had to do with DD. Spring schedules were made so that class didn't interfere with those Tuesday afternoon games back then.

So many memories made at Olsen.
Capitol Ag
AG
Derrick Grubbs said:

I know I'm coming to the party kinda late - the discussion on TexAgs regarding my years working at A&M looks to have taken place back in February....but being "late to the party" isn't anything new for this "Old Ag!".
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the kind comments! It really made my day and I actually got a lump in my throat. To those of you who purchased a copy of my book "No Gold Watch" I thank you so much. Obviously my years at A&M are a huge part of my story. I had occasion to see some old friends a couple of weeks ago when the Aggies came to Arlington to play UTA, including Coach Rob Childress. What a class act! I also had a really nice talk with Dave South.....so we can put that to rest. My years at A&M were so special, as I write in my book. If some of you wish to believe that I left a legacy there, I will gratefully and humbly accept that. Olsen Field will always have that "Magic"....and the greatest fans anywhere!
Thanks to you all....and GIG 'EM!!!
D.D. Grubbs '81
Staff, this man needs an Ag Tag, some sort of Letterman's tag/athletic commemorative tag. Make this happen. And Gabe, bring him on Texags radio.
MROD92
Smoke 'em if you got 'em, but only at the bottom
rrtodds
AG
I'm Class of '75 and have been watching Aggie baseball games since the diamond was between Kyle Field and Wellborn Road. During our thirty years in Round Rock we made many trips to Olsen to watch the Ags play.

I, too, was thouroughly entertained by DD at his Olsen Magic Show through the years. I didn't know he had even left CS when one summer in the nineties at the Astro Dome I realized that some very familiar sounds and events were taking place. For the first time that I noticed, the Astros hitters were strolling to the plate with walk-up music and there was a strangely familiar voice announcing over the p. a. ... low and behold I recognized the voice of our own Derrick Grubbs.

Fast forward to April 2000 to opening day of the AA Round Rock Express at the brand new Dell Diamond ... and who do I hear? ... DD the wild man Grubbs, the new and first voice of the RR Express and the Dell Diamond!

It was like the Days of Olsen 2.0 ... including The Rifleman and the bases loaded Jaws of danger. He stayed 5 or so years before answering the call to return to college baseball and the opportunity for more administrative responsibility and to teach.

It was one of those schools in Austin that I don't much care for, and after a little email banter that I started with "Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so!" ... I told him I understood his choice and wished him well.

Like a ... good penny? ... he's at UTA??? That was a surprise to find out, and I wish I could have been there hear his Maverick's Baseball spiel.

My good friend, Rick Hill, certainly gives DD his due in talking about announcing at Olsen and for Aggie BB.

How fortunate we are to have seen the beginning of the best of college baseball entertainment and information with DD and it's continuation and improvement with Rick. Both will be well deserving of future University recognition and awards.
Sam75
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.