Do we need to change what we do as fans?

6,019 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by matt.maggio3
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And I also hate to say this but I fear the same thing will happen at Kyle with the changes coming .
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Olsen baseball is not what it used to be IMO, not even close

FIFY
TXAGBQ76
AG
Raggies are now totally into dancing to the players songs; shouting child labor and yelling hello when someone is on the phone. Everything is centered on them or yelling at our own fans.

Seems like very little focus on the game itself and the other team.

[This message has been edited by Txagbq76 (edited 5/12/2013 2:08p).]
BQ_90
AG
Well what most of us did as raggies would get you kicked outta the game..

Choking away series at home hurts more than yelling at the guy on deck.

Strike One
TXAGBQ76: Right on. That has been my observation for the last number of years. I guess there's nothing wrong with the Raggies entertaining themselves by coming up with humorous comments, etc., about opponents but the focus needs to be on the game and about making a whole lot of noise, including just plain cheering and hollering encouragement, etc. to our team. LSU ran a clinic on fan participation that the entire groups of Ags, including (and maybe especially) the older alumni in the reserved seats who seem to just sit at the game with casual interest, need to follow. (Of course, it would help if the Ags were playing as well as they did this last series!)
75AG
AG
Strike,

Come sit next year in 208 and tell us about the "older alumni" who are just watching with casual interest. You've old farts, players' parents, really old farts and some moderately old farts. And we're yelling our damn heads off.
dabo man
AG
quote:
Meh. Won't know unless you try it..

Could be cool.

Not a chant, but put Old Sarge down in the club level. When the opposing team's hitters are on deck, Sarge, needs to ask them about likes, dislikes, family, favorite foods, and so on. Get down into the stalker level of information gathering with each hitter. Make sure to let each hitter know how much you appreciate that he really listened, how few men seem to do that, etc.

This guy, used correctly, could knock 50 points off of an opponent's BA!.

Captain Pablo
AG
Thanks dabo. Now I'm gonna have nightmares for a week just from lookin' at that mother creeper...
Tex100
AG
Maybe the "Locomotive" yell. Rah, rah .....TAMC

Need something loud in critical situations that can get started quickly.
Captain Pablo
AG
With the exception of maybe something like "Farmers Fight", I would not favor traditional football yells at a baseball game. Frankly, I don't like a lot of our football yells. Horse laugh yell = garbage

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 5/13/2013 7:26a).]
Wildmen03
AG
I'm sure we covered this, but does anyone else have a problem with the whole "The team lost so the fans must be at fault" attitude?
KatyAg88
Just win baby!
ftworthag02
AG
Wildmen, I do!

Competitive, winning baseball teams that can actually hit for extra bases instead of bunting every inning = loud, exciting Olsen field crowd

Anyone see Alex box 2 yrs ago?
matt.maggio3
AG
agree with previous 3 posts. noise of the crowd contributes to a win sometimes, but when the team does stuff to take itself out of the game, crowd noise, no matter how good, can't do a damn thing. crowd noise doesn't get a guy picked off, crowd noise doesn't pop up a bunt. crowd noise doesn't cause a catcher to try to bunt for a base hit. crowd noise doesn't go 0-5. may be the difference between 2 for 4 and 3 for 4, but no 3 for 4 and 0 for 5. we need to change our attitudes on the field, stands aren't to blame. yes, it has gotten a little annoying at times this year up in the GA, but when there isn't actual baseball being played on the field, what do you expect?
Tex100
AG
Just saying it can help to an extent. I think it affects our team.

Hey, but keep beating on the platic chairs.
Mark Fairchild
AG
What a previous poster said, "Just Win Baby". That being said, there is no fire in the team. I keep asking myself why that is? No rally caps, no signs really of life from the dugout. The crowd can do only so much, and nothing, absolutely nothing can put life into the whole atmosphere like winning. IMO, RC's attitude permeates Olsen and BBP, and apparently that isn't a exciting one.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
matt.maggio3
AG
hasn't been much fire from the coaches boxes either. a lot of calls that would have been argued in years past were left silent. not even a stare down or an arm flare. I think you nailed it. No fire in this team. Starting from RC going on down.
Yell Practice
Do we need to change what we do as fans?

No, the players need to change what they do -- Like hitting, pitching, and fielding.
Yell Practice
tp --

[This message has been edited by Yell Practice (edited 5/13/2013 1:29p).]
Yell Practice
tp --

[This message has been edited by Yell Practice (edited 5/13/2013 1:29p).]
TexasRebel
AG
Wait!
Crowd noise doesn't cause outs?!
Aggies
Noise is important, but it doesn't create the hits which we desperately need this season.

[This message has been edited by Aggies (edited 5/13/2013 2:13p).]
zagman
AG
Could it be that our beloved section 203 non-students have killed the noise in the student section and the rest of the high paying fans are sitting on their hands?

We need Aggie Baseball yells!

Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Coby
AG
Not sure I understand your post, zagman. Are you saying that if the regulars in GA that are no longer students left that people would make more noise?
mazag08
AG
No he's saying that there are a select few who like to act like they run the place and nobody else around then can get anything started.
rae13
AG
Oh please. I just graduated this last weekend, and the amount of students, especially those who are more than just casual fans, has been waning ever since I got here, so stop acting like things would suddenly get better if those who actually show up to every game stopped doing what they are doing. Baseball games have been attracting a more casual type of fan the past few seasons as far as students are concerned. That's probably why most SEC schools banish their students to tailgate in the outfield. If you went to any of our road series this year, you would have noticed that, and the atmosphere lacks.

Nothing is perfect. The RAggies can improve. I'm not saying that they can't do more. But to trash the few who actually come game in and game out is just silly. Nobody is stopping anyone from doing their own thing.

Nobody would have said anything about the amount of LSU fans had we won on Saturday. But lets get real... Are you honestly surprised? They lead the nation in attendance and are a lock for a national seed. Hundreds of Aggie fans were banished to the berms because LSU fans showed up early. It shouldn't have been an issue.
Coby
AG
quote:
No he's saying that there are a select few who like to act like they run the place and nobody else around then can get anything started.

I feel like you rephrased what I said in an attempt to only take a personal shot at the people who actually show up for games.
mazag08
AG
No personal shot. Nobody else these days does much so those guys are appreciated. But there were times in then past where it was do what they do or do nothing.
rae13
AG
I can see where you are coming from, but honest question: what's really stopping others from doing what they want to do if they want to do it?
TexasRebel
AG
I'm sure I'm one you're referring to from a few years back. Personally, I only looked down upon folks trying to do their own thing when their own thing didn't make any sense... Or was flat out wrong.

Yelling at the refs for example. Or making fun of a sac fly that didn't quite get out. That's like making fun of a golfer because he didn't ace a drive to the green. He is laughing harder at you.
jkag89
quote:
Anyone see Alex box 2 yrs ago?

When the Tigers finished 13-17 in SEC play and did not make regional play?
twk
AG
I'm happy to have regulars show up, regardless of who they are. However, when the stadium was rocking back in the day, the first base bleachers were where everything started. Now, it seems that what comes from those sections is something that doesn't exactly lend itself to getting the whole park participating.

Case in point--when we have a rally going, if the folks in the first base bleachers do anything (and they usually don't, at least not that can be heard from my seats), it is to beat on the benches at a funeral dirge pace. Why they do that, I can't say for certain, but someone once told me it was so that they could hear the reverb from the seats. Whatever the reason, it is counterproductive--not only does it not do anything to pump up the adrenaline of the fans (and hopefully, our players), it actually inhibits folks who might join in by clapping if a reasonable rhythm was adopted, from doing anything. There were times on Saturday when we started clapping downstairs, only to have it die out because the folks upstairs started that slow banging. It's this lack of situational awareness that we've seen for the last five or six years running, if not longer. Is that because folks don't move on? I don't know. But, whatever it is, it needs to change. If somebody sitting next to you starts that funeral dirge banging, do me a favor and kick them in the ass. It needs to stop.
ftworthag02
AG
Jk, yes, what was the atmosphere like that year?
Tex100
AG
I went with a group, one of which is an LSU grad. He told people today it felt like an LSU home game. Pretty much spoke the truth.
W
AG
a few thoughts...

first of all...this was LSU's first time to play at Blue Bell, so a portion of the tiger fans came to see the new park. Second, LSU has a great team this year and A&M's team is average, so the probability of tiger fans seeing 1, 2, or 3 wins was very high.

visiting fan turnout is always higher when they expect their team to win.

----
perhaps blame it on the bats or the Ags' offense, but a lot of games at BBP have just been incredibly boring. Each team goes 3 up & 3 down, few guys can hammer the ball, etc..,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.