One to the face!

6,708 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
Redassag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A girl took a baseball to the face tonight at the game. Hope she is ok, it didn't look good. Lot's of blood!
Wildmen03
AG
Please be aware of line drives and foul balls at all times.
shoulderCHIP
AG
Verbal liability waiver. Iron clad.
Agkman
I hope she is alright. This is another reason that people should go "between innings" From our perspective, there was a group walking by and prevented her from literally seeing the ball until it hit her.
HtownAg94
AG
Was this the line drive between the rails?

Yeah, this whole 'feel free to walk about the cabin' whenever attitude is just plain ignorant and disrepectful. Back in the day these things were enforced a whole lot better by the regulars.

Not to derail a thread, but the culture on the 2nd deck has changed mightily in the last 10-15 years...
Joe_the_Plumber
I thought this was going to be about another Tuesday loss to an inferior team thread.

Best wishes to the lady that was struck by the line drive.

The bad thing about those is, that even if some idiot happens to stick his hand up and deflect the ball, it still has enough force to do considerable damage.

Aggie
AG
you would be shocked at how many people sitting on the 1st deck right above the Aggie dugout pay no attention whatsoever when a left handed batter is up...often talking to the person beside them or even behind them with their back turned to the batter. A screaming linedrive to that area could do some serious damage
BryanAggie2013
AG
I saw that from 203. Looked pretty vicious from our perspective and even Naquin had to take a second to calm himself after it happened. Hope the young lady is ok.
OnlyForNow
AG
Was she on the first base side or 3rd base?

2nd or 1st deck?

If the ticket police (not individuals the management) would let the students in 203 have their way then no one would even walk up the stairs till between innings, or half innings.

[This message has been edited by OnlyForNow (edited 4/27/2011 9:11a).]
BryanAggie2013
AG
She was second deck third base side. She was on one of the first 3 rows, that's how much of a frozen rope it was. It just screamed up there.
Bocephus85
AG
I saw from 217. She got hit on second ball that Naquin wizzed up into the 2nd deck. The first one came in about 10 rows higher then where the girl had been. It was like a shooting gallery up there until Naquin got the ball going in the right direction.

There had been a big group of students sitting around in the first and second rows, and I don't know how well they were actually paying attention to what was going on. One would have hoped that the first foul ball would have gotten their attention. Sadly I think she got hit when a couple of guys moved out of the way of the ball.

One of the cops that showed up said that ball hit her upper lip, and that she left in an ambulance. Hope she's ok.

[This message has been edited by Bocephus85 (edited 4/27/2011 10:09a).]
TommyGun
AG
Yeah I saw about three guys jump out of the way while the ball nailed her in the face. Can't say I wouldn't have jumped out of the way either, that ball was screaming!
Flaith
AG
A friend of her sister is a good friend of mine.

quote:
it broke her cheek bone and shattered her nose
the dr said if it had hit pretty much anywhere else it probably would have killed her

yikes. That is super scary
Coby
AG
Oh my gosh!! Anywhere else and it could have killed her!? Holy crap. If she had died, how would you feel if you were Tyler!?

That is very scary. It looked to me that there were guys standing up against the rail. It was headed for them, but they moved out of the way and it nailed the girl.
Chubster
I was sitting in the row behind her a few seats to the right. There was a large group of people she was with who were wearing Deloitte (sp?) nametags. Looked like some of them were getting ready to leave when it happened. That ball was an absolute missile. Glad she is isn't hurt any worse than she is, it looked real bad.
TommyGun
AG
Man that is scary. I don't usually like to sit in those areas for that exact reason. I usually sit just inside the net so that I can relax and not worry about missiles coming in to my section.
Mark Fairchild
AG
We had those seats for a Regional. There was a ball hit just like last night. A young woman sitting behind my wife got the ball right in the face. Blood everywhere, EMT's all over the place, and the girl says through tears, "I am the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in two days!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, then my wife gave me "the look".

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AggieFaithful07
Howdy from a first time poster. I thought now was as good of time as any for my first post since the girl who was hit by the ball is my girlfriend's roommate.

Just wanted everyone to know that she is doing okay. Like the poster above said, while the ball caused some pretty serious damage, it could have been much worse. Pretty impressive is the fact that throughout the whole traumatic experience she never once panicked or cried. In fact, she was considerably more level headed than many of the older alumni she was at the game with. She is even having Tyler Naquin sign the ball later today as a sort of comical souvenir of the event.

I know TexAgs is good about showing support for fellow Aggies in similar situations, so I set up an email account if anyone would like to send her encouragement. While she has been in good spirits, she is still a college student dealing with the thought of having reconstructive surgery just days before finals start.

Feel free to send emails to aggiefaithful07@gmail.com and I will be sure to relay them to her. Thanks!
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
She is even having Tyler Naquin sign the ball later today as a sort of comical souvenir of the event.

That's awesome! Thoughts and prayers to her.

During spring practices, I was sitting a few rows behind the 3rd base dugout and talking to Matt Juengel's mother (she was a row behind me and a seat to the right) while taking pictures. I hated when lefties came up because looking through the lens, the field of vision gets pretty damn small, and you can't see balls flying around. Some lefty was up and smoked one and hit the seat beside me (one in front of Juengel's mother). We both panicked and my heart stopped because again, I couldn't see the ball most of the way, but people laughed at how great a shot it would be of the ball coming right at the lens. I decided I'd rather not see. It was scary, so after that I quit shooting when lefties were up and readied myself.
aggiealltheway
AG
A foul ball at a San Angelo Colts game killed a mom when it hit her in her temple last year. It was very tragic. She was a great lady and the president of her kids' PTA.
dv0478
i suspect the net will extend once the renovations are done.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm glad to hear that she is doing well!

She should ask Tyler if he'd atleast take her to dinner for her trouble.
sharpdressedman
Thanks for the update, and prayers and best wishes for her speedy and complete recovery. E-mail sent.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:

I sure hope not!

don't obstruct everyones view because a few people don't know how to wait until 'between innings'
OnlyForNow
AG
I was going to post the 100% same thing as TR.

Just didn't know if this was the right place.

I do not support extension of the net.

Will94
quote:

I hope not as well. I wish this young lady all the best, but incidents like this are very rare.

I remember a girl who was about ten and sitting on the first base side getting a very similar injury. That was around 2000. It doesn't happen often.
agforlife97
AG
One year I remember this happened several times, and not just to people walking around. With the old bats, batters hit screamers into the stands pretty often. The new bats should help with this problem.
Will94
quote:
One year I remember this happened several times, and not just to people walking around.

People get hit all the time, but I only remember two times (including the one that just happened) that someone had to be hospitalized.

My wife once had a screamer glance off of her head and it drew a little blood. The medics checked her for a concussion, but she was fine.
AgBQ80
AG
There is a guy who took a screamer in the face a few years ago just past the end of the net on the first base side. It was an absolute direct hit. He was probably in the 3rd or 4th row. I sit above the 3rd base dugout, and even from over there it was the most sickening "thud" you ever heard. A whole lot of blood. He was down for a good amount of time while the EMT's worked on him. I remember him giving a thumbs up as he was leaving. It was by far the worst I've seen since having season tickets the last 10 years or so.
iloveAP
AG
AgBQ80 - I believe that was the A&M/texas series May of 2004. I usually sit in section 216, but for that particular game, I was out in the bleachers. We couldn't hear it, but the entire place went silent right after. I remember him giving a thumbs up as he was exiting. That was encouraging, but poor guy.

And poor girl that got hit the Tuesday night. Tyler's foul balls were two sections over from me, and they were absolute screamers. I heard that he asked his girlfriend to go check on the girl right away and get her name so he could stay in touch with her to see how she was during her recovery. Great kid...and you know it has to affect the batters that hit those kinds of foul balls.

T&P for the young lady and for her surgeons.
Gone
Wow, T&Ps
crusty clam
Bump

Do we ever know what happened to this girl?
Aggie09Derek
AG
1. How did you randomly find this thread

2. Were you that girl!?
Party Boy
Wimmen shouldn't be allowed at sporting events.
Belton Ag
AG
crusty clam said:

Bump

Do we ever know what happened to this girl?
She became the CEO of Levy. Now she's having her revenge.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.