Adam Dunn

4,138 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rudyjax
Pab Texxas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice to finally see some Big XII action in the majors...it will only be a matter of time before Long Dong is all over the news...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1358251.html
MAROON
AG
he's a flat out stud....too bad he plays for the hated Reds
Ninefingers
AG
He dropped 50 points on my little league basketball team when we were about 9 years old.
Showstopper
AG
What were his numbers like from t.u.? Oh, yeah, he was a pro. I don't know that a guy who never put on a longhorn baseball uniform really counts as "some Big XII action in the majors," from a baseball point of view, unless Augie is the Quarterbacks Coach.

Just saying, except for one season as a backup QB, there is as much connection to the Big XII as if Chip Ambres comes up with the Marlins. (I know he ain't doing all that great, but that isn't the point; theoretically they are the same from a big twelve baseball point of view.)
mc2OOO
Plus, that fool has got a CANNON for an arm! Lots of fun to watch.
CassAg
I take it that somehow Ryan Rupe and Jason Tyner don't count as Big 12 action in the majors?
LOYAL AG
AG
Cass

I think you totally missed showstoppers point. Adam Dunn never donned a Big 12 baseball uniform. Rupe and Tyner played 4 and 3 years of baseball respectively for Texas A&M. Both played 2 years of baseball in the Big 12 as well. Maybe I missed your point???

"That is because an achievement, no matter how great, leaves you having to prove yourself again in the future. But an excuse can last for life.”

-Thomas Sowell
CassAg
Loyal:

I was addressing the initial post of the thread. I didn't miss the point of Showstopper's post, I just chose not to address it. My point is, the original post says something regarding finally seeing some Big 12 action in the majors. I was pointing out only 2 examples of Big 12 players in the majors. There are certainly others there too.

Where did I seem to be referring to Showstopper's post?
LOYAL AG
AG
Cass

My bad. I read them in order and at the time it came across that way. Your response makes a lot more sense as I reread the original. Sorry!

"That is because an achievement, no matter how great, leaves you having to prove yourself again in the future. But an excuse can last for life.”

-Thomas Sowell
lil99chris
AG
http://big12.netfire.com/new/baseball/text/?id=baseball_majors

BIG XII Players in the Majors

Anaheim Angels—Darin Erstad, Nebraska
Arizona Diamondbacks--Greg Swindell, Texas; Bobby Witt, Oklahoma; Troy Brohawn, Nebraska
Atlanta Braves—Trey Moore, Texas A&M
Baltimore Orioles—Chris Richard, Baltimore
Boston Red Sox—Casey Fossum, Texas A&M
Chicago White Sox—Kip Wells, Baylor; Kelly Wunsch, Texas A&M
Cincinnati Reds—Scott Williamson, Oklahoma State; Adam Dunn, Texas; Justin Atchley, Texas A&M
Colorado Rockies—Greg Norton, Oklahoma; Mike Myers, Iowa State; Brooks Kieschnick, Texas; Jason Jennings, Baylor
Detroit Tigers— Shane Halter, Texas; Matt Miller, Texas Tech
Florida Marlins—Kevin Olsen, Oklahoma
Houston Astros—Dave Mlicki, Oklahoma State; Shane Reynolds, Texas; Keith Ginter, Texas Tech; Coach Burt Hooton, Texas
Kansas City Royals—Ken Harvey, Nebraska; Chuck Knoblauch, Texas A&M
Milwaukee Brewers—Brandon Kolb, Texas Tech
Minnesota Twins—Chad Allen, Texas A&M; Mark Redman, Oklahoma; Jay Canizaro, Oklahoma State; Coach Ron Gardenhire, Texas
Montreal Expos—Matt Blank, Texas A&M
New York Mets—Jeromy Burnitz, Oklahoma State; Coach Jon Stearns, Colorado
New York Yankees—Roger Clemens, Texas; Robin Ventura, Oklahoma State
Philadelphia Phillies—Kevin Jordan, Nebraska; Ryan Nye, Texas Tech
Pittsburgh Pirates—Don Wengert, Iowa State; Dennis Cook, Texas
St. Louis Cardinals—Stubby Clapp, Texas Tech
San Diego Padres—Dave Maurer, Oklahoma State
San Francisco Giants—Russ Ortiz, Oklahoma; Calvin Murray, Texas; Damon Minor, Oklahoma
Tampa Bay Devil Rays—Ryan Rupe, Texas A&M; Jason Tyner, Texas A&M
Texas Rangers—Mark Petkovsek, Texas; J.D. Smart (Texas); Coach Rudy Jaramillo
Toronto Blue Jays—Kevin Beirne, Texas A&M
RickE99
Showstopper, if you're going to pick a Texas A&M signee that never made it to campus, but is currently in the majors, please refer to Josh Beckett from now on. No more mention on Ambres.

(and yes t-sip lawyer boy, before you come back with the football/baseball reference in regards to Dunn/Ambres I understood where you were going.)

You're still a t-sip.

I spit on your student id.
CassAg
Loyal:

Not a problem. You made me reread my post 100 times to make sure it was what I wanted to say!

Chris:

I wouldn't even count a lot of the guys on that list. A lot of them went to SWC or Big 8 schools. I wouldn't say that was the same, but that's just me. Still a cool list though.
Rudyjax
AG
I saw him play as a senior when umpring Willis CS New Caney.

He hit a pitch a foot outside at least 400 feet to right center. They were trying to walk him.

He was pitching and was throwing in the high 80s. He'd get 2 strikes and then throw as hard as he could. The catcher would say, lookout, he can't control it.

He had a long career in the majors. Good for him.
ptothemo
AG
I am truly curious as to how you even found this thread. I think that I'd like to know why as well, but I am most interested in the how.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Don't forget about Nolan Ryan. The coach at the time said he might have the arm and wanted him to play second base. Nolan then signed with the Mets.
Rudyjax
AG
ptothemo said:

I am truly curious as to how you even found this thread. I think that I'd like to know why as well, but I am most interested in the how.

I was doing a search for something on the search tab and selected oldest results first.
ptothemo
AG
For some reason, I didn't think that you could go back more than a year in the search, but anyway.

Back on point and since we are here, I think that Adam Dunn may have been the first player that I recall where "the three true outcomes" was referenced so heavily. He was definitely ahead of his time when it came to walk, strike out, or hit a bomb.
Rudyjax
AG
ptothemo said:

For some reason, I didn't think that you could go back more than a year in the search, but anyway.

Back on point and since we are here, I think that Adam Dunn may have been the first player that I recall where "the three true outcomes" was referenced so heavily. He was definitely ahead of his time when it came to walk, strike out, or hit a bomb.

Gotta pay for Texags to search back more than a year.
cevans_40
AG
Dunn is a solid dude. I played golf with him one time while he was in the process of signing his last major league deal. All he wanted to talk about was fishing and football. I wanted to talk baseball but he wasn't having it. At some point during the round his agent calls and they finalized the deal and he got another call confirming the delivery of a new Harley. Dude could smash a golf ball.
12thMan9
AG
I would see him over at Baseball USA w/the Marucci folks. He was supposed to be 1 of the lead investors for Marucci when they were moving out to the New Caney area, his old stomping grounds. That hit a snag & not sure it ever came to fruition.

He was a modern day Dave Kingman.
Ronnie '88
Capitol Ag
AG
This thread. And to think 02 was 18 years ago. Holy *****
rather be fishing
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

ptothemo said:

Not if you search on Google.
Rudyjax
AG
rather be fishing said:

Foxymophandlemama said:

ptothemo said:

Not if you search on Google.

On Texags.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.