3 game analysis of our team!

2,740 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Method Man
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok...I have seen the last two games and listened
to game one on the radio. So far, I'm struggling to see where the offensive production will come from to offset the losses of Wright and
Leach. I think Coach feels like it will have to come from Law and Jones both scoring a little more, and getting some help...maybe from Carter.

My thoughts so far on each player are:

Law....improved and consistent so far...could be a great year!

Jones...more mature and a little better after a great fish year.

Pompey....better...more under control...he will help us!

Kirk...about the same as last year

Carter...will help bust some zones when on...likely to be a little inconsistent as a fish

AK...haven't seen much yet...needs to be more aggressive

Smith....he had a good shooting night the first game that I did not see...very inconsistent in games two and three...is quick and hustles

Green...hasn't shown much yet

White...still a role player as a zone buster

Walker...crowd favorite and good relief man

Bennett....may be our X factor by conf if he can get us some points and rebound while playing good enough defense for BCG to give his some minutes this year.

Not sure our record will be much better than last year based on what I have seen so far.
Bennett may make the difference.
I think next year will be very good and the following year will be really good!
XL2Win
I'm very disappointed with what I've seen so far from AK. I thought he might be a huge contributor, but frankly I don't see him offering much value other than to give Jones a rest and Green is better than AK at that role. Most of his propensity for fouling comes to do with being out of position and trying to recover with reach-ins. His footwork is suspect at best.

Excellence First ...
AG
AK will backup up Jones, plain and simple...

I don't think AK is aggressive enough but he posts better than J.Jones on the block and seals his defender. Right now Edjuan Green better get in gear because with Martellus Bennett coming over from football he will have to fight off Bennett for the 4th big man spot...

I've actually been disapointed with J.Jones at this point. He cannot stay out of foul trouble, reaches too much and well just hasn't been on the court enough. I think Pompey has been the most productive big man on offense and defense after three games...

I am impressed with Josh Carter and Jeffrey Addai from guys I was not expecting to help so quickly. Kenneth White gives you the long range shooter you need and Josh has a nice shot but Red's looks even smoother...

Cepe
AG
I am not sure where the scoring concern is really. We pretty much doubled up the first 2 teams and won by about 30 last night. Yeah, you don't have AW's numbers, but I think about 11 guys scored last night.
billydean05
Not happy with Jones? That is crazy. He has dominated inside every team we have faced.

One other comment, We have still never trailed at any point of any of the three games, which is a pretty amazing feat in itself.
XL2Win
Wow ... you must be watching a different game than I'm watching.

I lost count of the times AK was outmanuevered under the basket by both bigger and smaller players. He was rarely in good position and never held a blockout when I was watching. And that's exactly why he fouls so much ... he reaches to try to overcome bad positioning.

Excellence First ...
cs69ag
AG
Guys....the competition we have played is not close to what we will see in the Big 12...granted the margins are impressive and BCG
will bring the team along, etc. But the concerns that I have and what I have seen so far
will likely be magnified in Big 12 play, unless the next month and 8 games have us ready to play
tech on 1/7/06 at home! As I said above, I think Tellus may be the difference maker if BCG can get him ready in time!
Oh Four Five
AG
AK is very suspect on the defensive side of the ball. I like his skills offensively though. He's got good footwork in the post. He seems to be able to move the ball and find the open man. And he's got a very good touch on his shot. If he can figure it out on D, I think he can contribute.
cs69ag
AG
Last night, the two shots that I recall that AK
took in the paint were within 6-8 ft., he was falling backwards on both jump shots instead of going up straight and strong...both shots hit the front of the rim and bounced off. This is for a guy who is 6'10" and he was the tallest player on the court. Tulane had one guy 6'9".
He may still be thinking too much rather than just playing.
XL2Win
This team will not be that much better than last year's team and we were 8-8. We played nothing but creampuffs in non-conference play because that team needed to learn how to win ... they had forgotten in the 0fer year under Watkins.

This season we have a sea of new faces and we lost our best all-around player in Wright. This season we play only a slightly tougher schedule than last year. BCG is looking at lots of new faces and giving guys playing time they might not see in conference play. He wants to see the intensity level and who makes mental mistakes. He's still looking for what will be the starting lineup. Jones and Law are the only shoe-ins at this point. Everybody else has a shot depending on their performance.

And, FWIW, we don't have UTPB on the schedule. We've added Auburn and we play Pacific away. The schedule is a bit tougher than last season.

In a year or two the guys clamoring for a tougher scheduled will be whining about the reduced number of home games as our guys hit the road in search of stiffer competition.

Excellence First ...
XL2Win
BTW, I don't picture AK as much of a "thinker".

Excellence First ...
bobinator
AG
I think most of you are going to be surprised how much this team can get better throughout the season. Nobody seems to remember the game last season that we almost lost to Alabama A&M, and we probably would have lost if not for a great game from Dominique Kirk.

I think by the time we get to conference play we're going to be alright. Jones and Law have stepped up and Carter is finding a solid role for himself. Eddie is a solid player on both ends of the court coming off the bench.

I think AK will come along and provide some minutes when we need them. Marlon may be the most improved player on the team from last season, although Edjuan would push that some as well.

When we look back on this season the biggest single event that changed the course of the season may be getting Martellus a month earlier than expected. Let's assume that he's not even half as good as advertised, he STILL is a big athletic body that can take some pressure off of Jones and Pompey.

All in all through three games I'd say we're about where I expected to be at this point.

ag747
These first 7 games are all going to have that 'exhibition game' feel. It buys the team some time to figure out what everyone's role should be, but I'd be very disturbed if we lost any of them. Outside of Auburn, Northwestern St (actually a pretty decent team), or Pacific (not as good as last year), we should continue to win by 30-40 points and play a long bench.
Artimus Gordon
This team is so much farther ahead of last year's team it is not even funny. We have much better quality and depth inside and we have a good rotation of guards to keep constant pressure on the opponents. We don't have anyone that can step in for AW, but we do have better size and play at the 4 spot and Josh can provide defense and some outside scoring. Eddie is much better than Bobby and our depth is much better quality also. Logan Lee impressed me against Tulane. Looks like he will give us some quality minutes, too. AK will settle in and become much more of a contributor on the defensive end by conference. Look at how much Marlon has improved in that respect. BCG will do the same for AK.
Even Red is giving us some quality minutes this year, last year he was almost non-existant.

You guys worry too much. This team is not going to fold it's tent, just because Antoine has gone to the pros. We can win out in non-conference and do better than 8-8 in conference this year. 10-6 is what I am counting on with a few upsets along the way. This team is definitely not a walk in the park for the opposition.

Tulane's guards were pushed to their limit the entire night with BCG's rotation. We kept fresh players on them all night.

Artimus Gordon
Our worst losses last year in bold by 14,16, and the meltdown by 35 @ t.u.

Wed, Jan 05 @ Kansas (2) * Lawrence, Kan. L 60-65
Wed, Jan 12 Texas (9) * College Station, Texas W 74-63
Sat, Jan 15 @ Texas Tech * Lubbock, Texas L 56-70
Tue, Jan 18 Oklahoma (18) * College Station, Texas L 54-70
Sat, Jan 22 Kansas State * College Station, Texas W 65-51
Wed, Jan 26 @ Nebraska * Lincoln, Neb. L 67-77
Sat, Jan 29 Baylor * College Station, Texas W 74-62
Wed, Feb 02 @ Oklahoma (14) * Norman, Okla. L 65-69
Sat, Feb 05 Missouri * College Station, Texas W 91-63
Sat, Feb 12 Oklahoma State (10) * College Station, Texas L 59-66
Wed, Feb 16 @ Texas * Austin, Texas L 40-75
Sat, Feb 19 @ Colorado * Boulder, Colo. W 92-77
Tue, Feb 22 Iowa State * College Station, Texas W 75-59
Sat, Feb 26 Texas Tech (25) * College Station, Texas W 85-63
Wed, Mar 02 @ Oklahoma State (8) * Stillwater, Okla. L 63-69
Sat, Mar 05 @ Baylor * Waco, Texas W 84-76

Thu, Mar 10 vs. Kansas State Kansas City, Mo. L 62-68

Wed, Mar 16 Clemson College Station, Texas W 82-74
Sat, Mar 19 @ DePaul Rosemont, Ill. W 75-72
Wed, Mar 23 Saint Joseph's College Station, Texas L 51-58

This year we have to take the OU and Okie State games at Reed. We can't let those get away from us this year. We also have the Nebraska game that we have to win also this year.

[This message has been edited by Artimus Gordon (edited 11/28/2005 6:01a).]
Artimus Gordon
We went 8-8 with this roster. Little depth at the guards. The same with the post positions also.

1 Law, Acie 6'-3" 185 So-1L Dallas, TX (Kimball)
2 McIntosh, Marcus 6'-0" 185 So-TR Aurora, CO (Eagle Crest/Northeastern JC)
21 Wright, Antoine 6'-7" 210 Jr-2L San Bernardino, CA (Lawrence Academy [Groton, MA])
22 Kirk, Dominique 6'-3" 180 Fr-HS Dallas, TX (Bryan Adams)
3 Blackburn, Brian 5'-8" 150 So-HS La Vernia, TX (La Vernia)
5 White, Kenneth 6'-1" 200 Fr-HS Dallas, TX (Molina)
15 Leach, Bobby 6'-0" 185 Sr-1L Philadelphia, PA (Bertram/Neosho [KS] CC)
33 Loewe, Justin 6'-4" 200 So-1L Caldwell, TX (Caldwell)

10 Walker, Chris 6'-5" 210 Jr-TR Grapevine, TX (Grapevine/UT-Dallas)
11 Clemente, Luis 6'-8" 235 Jr-1L Puerto Rico, (Pittsfield, ME [Maine Central Institute])
4 Green, Edjuan 6'-7" 230 Jr-TR Spring, TX (Spring/Temple College)
25 Koeneke, Matt 6'-6" 220 So-HS Mission, TX (Sharyland)
30 Jones, Joseph 6'-9" 260 Fr-HS Normangee, TX (Normangee)
40 Weishuhn, Slade 6'-9" 210 Fr-HS Wall, TX (Wall)
42 Pompey, Marlon 6'-8" 225 So-1L Toronto, Ontario (Winchendon [MA] Prep)

FAQ Site Map EADA Survey Privacy Policy Self Study Contact Us Site Specs Links
Cepe
AG
AK had ups and downs. I remember a textbook post move he put on in the game that was very strong. Give the guy a little time.

Smith is extremely quick and often jumps the guys route when on defense.

JJ is probably the most athletic guy on the court in most games. He seemed to leap out of his shoes some times. He did get a ticky tack foul toward the end of the 1st period that gave him 2 I think and BCG was ticked.

Sometimes our spacing is a little packed, but the motion offense works pretty well and gets open looks at the basket.

Carter looks young, but he made a fantanstic cross over drive down the lane in the first period from the right side down the middle that had everyone standing still. I don't think he finished but was fouled hard at the end. I think this is a look at what we can expect once he gets comfortable - able to create shots when needed.
XL2Win
AK's minutes are slipping. I think BCG's analysis is similar to mine ... he's going to be good for give guys a breather and that's about it. He'll likely foul out if he gets more than 15 min a game.

You saw ONE move ... I saw him on the receiving end of about 50 moves ... the ones where they moved him out of the paint on rebounding. The ones where he fouled because he was well out of position.

In 15 min against an outmanned Tulane team, he went 1 for 4 from the field, got only 3 rebounds (remember he's 6'10" and gave up 3 turnovers. Not very impressive. In fairness, he can shoot free throws which is relatively rare for big men these days.

Excellence First ...

[This message has been edited by XL2Win (edited 11/28/2005 7:07a).]
Ag Since 83
AG
Actually, listening to Billy's post game comments, I'm surprised that he was relatively positive about AK.

And bobinator, you know as well as I do that the only reason we beat Alabama A&M was Brian Gahan

"I feel like we have some unfinished business." - Chris Walker
On the bandwagon since birth. Raised in the bleachers of Kyle, Olsen, and G. Rollie White
Cepe
AG
Yes, I saw ONE move from AK. . . Actually saw many, but only brought up the one. My point is, and was, that he CAN do it and he WILL do it with a little coaching up. He has the ability, but needs time. Let him watch some film on what he did right and wrong and get coached up before you kill the guy. I happen to think he will improve.
XL2Win
You don't coach quickness ... nobody was going to make Andy Slocum quick or Brad Stricker quick. Nobody is going to coach AK into quickness.

Jones is rarely out of position ... AK is rarely in position. When he was in position I saw more than a few guys manuever him out of position. Ditto with the prior games. It's a gift and some guys just have it. If it was all about coaching Shaq would be able to shoot free throws by now.

He'll provide rest for Jones and not much else, IMHO. Hopefully you are right, but I just don't see it. By conference play, we'll see who has best evaluated the situation. Until then, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Excellence First ...
silenth
AG
If Bennett can affectively play the small forward position, play defense and rebound, this team will make the NCAA tourney unless Law or Jones gets hurt. We've got a lot of options at guard, and will use all of them because we will press teams full court, the entire game. AK does not have to be great. He just needs to do a better job of rebounding, and start making the 12-15 foot jumper from the side. He plays pretty good defense; that's not his problem. His problem is rebounding because he's not a quick jumper, and must have weak hands. He'll get both hands on a rebound, but someone will knock it lose, and then he goes to the bench. We have several scoring options. Jones and Law will get theirs, and on any night Carter, Smith, and even Marlon are capable of 12-15 points.
stardustag
AG
judging from the playing time green is getting versus what AK is getting, it's safe to say BCG trusts and likes what AK is doing, even if you guys don't like what you see.
XL2Win
I don't think the playing time at this point is indicative of much. BCG's trying to give the guy a chance to show his wares. When the season starts in earnest you'll get a better picture of who will be in the primary rotation.

I think AK was a first game starter. He's now geting 15 min or so. And even that could change in either direction. He gets fouls so fast he won't last more than 15 min when the competition ratchets up.

Game ... Min ... Fouls
(1) ... 18 ... 3
(2) ... 18 ... 4
(3) ... 13 ... 5
(4) ... 15 ... 5

At least BCG has some choices this season. Last season his hands were pretty well tied when he had to go to the bench.

Excellence First ...

[This message has been edited by XL2Win (edited 11/28/2005 10:45a).]
bobinator
AG
You could also make the (I'd say pretty fair) argument that half of what he's been called for won't be called by Big 12 officials. That said, he fouls more than Lakeith Blanks and that guy was a foul machine.
cs69ag
AG
hard to argue that 63 fouls in the Tulane game was ridiculous and created a boring game.
I think almost everyone would like to see a consistently called game where the zebras let the players play and only call real fouls and not all this ticky tack stuff.
DallasAggie87
AG
Pompey has started in front of AK every game. I think AK will give as 15+ minutes a game and continually improve.
billydean05
Come on now. 10-6 let me have some of that maroon colored kool aid. We must beat OU at home this year. They are a top 5 team in the nation right now. OSU is winnable at home, but we play 4 games against top 5 teams. We also play 6 more games against borderline top 25 teams. That is 10 difficult games. Mix in road games at KSU and possibly Baylor and this is not easy to be 10-6 in the Big 12 south if you are not named OU or tu.
cs69ag
AG
I agree....looks like about 8-8 in conf again,
with an overall record of 19-8...maybe 18-9.
I think the real unknown is Tellus and what he may bring to the team...otherwise, we may be
a year away from the next step.
XL2Win
Yes, way too many fouls ... but weren't at least 2 of those refs also faces we see in Big12 play?

Excellence First ...
cs69ag
AG
I hope not! Do you all remember Shelby's quote back when the change was made from 2 refs to 3?
He said "3 blind mice aren't any better than 2 blind mice".

What is interesting in a lot of games, is that one of the three refs blows his whistle all the time and the other two seldom call anything.
aggie_accountant
AG
10-6 might be a stretch, but I think 9-7 is possible. I think to get there it would have to include the following:

2 wins against Baylor
1 win against Kansas (it is as to home), Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri.

That would get us to 7 wins. If we find a way to split with Tech and Okie State that would get us to 9 wins even if Texas and OU sweep us this year.

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."
-John Wooden
cs69ag
AG
I looked at the cumulative 3 game stats for each player this morning...I was surprised to see that Smith is tied for the team lead with 15 rebounds! Pretty good for a non starting guard. I think BCG is a little concerned right now about our overall rebounding...we will miss AW in that area too. Our 3 game avg. is barely higher than our opponents 3 game avg. Tellus may help us here, although I heard BCG say they would try him as a perimeter player first.
But, as Smith is showing, you can still get a lot of rebounds without playing in low.
Salt City Sooner
Re AK:

Juco transfers typically take time to adjust folks, & it's usually a little longer than what Joe AverageFan in the stands thinks it should take. I don't know how many of you remember our star forward from our Final Four team Aaron McGhee, but a true story on him:

During his junior year (1st at OU), Sampson got frustrated enough with him that during one practice, Sampson stopped practice, looked at AM, pointed to the equipment room, & told him to either start doing things KS's way or there's the room to leave your uniform, take your pick. Ace played throught the tough times, & became one of the best ever at OU during his short time there.

Give AK some room. I still say that you guys are going to be happy that he chose your school by the time he leaves.
Lsal
AG
I agree, Sooner. AK and Eddie Smith will likely be inconsistent, and patience with them could really pay off. We weren't counting on either one of them being the GO TO guy. Hopefully, Eddie Smith catches on quicker and can really contribute.
I think we can be over .500 in Big 12 as OSU, Kansas, and maybe itt and isu are not as good as they were last season. (But isu and itt are the types of teams that can really come on in conference play). ou and tu are clearly better, but the Big 12 overall will not be as good as last season.
I wish we would have scheduled a couple more non conference games so we could have 20 wins with a .500 record in conference play. Would help our odds to make the field of 65.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.