Story Poster
Texas A&M Basketball

Middle Tennessee transfer guard Eli Lawrence commits to Texas A&M hoops

May 2, 2023

Buzz Williams has nabbed another quality addition out of the transfer portal as Middle Tennessee State guard Eli Lawrence announced his commitment to Texas A&M on Tuesday evening. 

Lawrence arrives in Aggieland with one year of eligibility remaining, having spent the last four seasons with the Blue Raiders in Conference USA. 

The Atlanta native is coming off his best season yet, starting in 31 games and averaging a team-best 12.2 points per game (42 percent shooting) along with 4.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists en route to earning Second Team All-Conference USA honors. 

Standing at 6-foot-5, 210 pounds, Lawrence is described as an athletic lefty that can heat up from 3-point range with a knack for creating offense off the dribble. 

Lawrence put together several noteworthy performances during the 2022-23 season. He posted a season-high 21 points last December against Chattanooga and followed up with a 13-point, 11-rebound double-double on New Year’s Eve. 

Tallying 18 points with a perfect 8-for-8 mark at the free throw line, Lawrence became the 35th player in program history to record 1,000 career points in a February contest at UAB. 

Perhaps his most memorable moment was sealing a game-winning free throw in the closing seconds of a 74-70 upset over No. 25 Florida Atlantic the following week. 

In total, Lawrence has 71 starts under his belt and compiled 1,075 points during his time in Murfreesboro. 

Next to former Illinois-Chicago guard Jace Carter, Lawrence is the second portal addition this offseason for the Aggies. 

Discussion from...

Middle Tennessee transfer guard Eli Lawrence commits to Texas A&M hoops

10,022 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Divining Rod
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All the lefties belong to us.
SanAntonio
AG
Nice
awrollins
Kid can jump:
agtrevino07
AG
Love his experience, size and athleticism but hopefully he can improve his 3pt % (career 30%).
Know Your Enemy
Know Your Enemy
AG
Career 33% shooter from 3 point range.
Gap
AG
Does anyone covering Texas A&M basketball know who we are bringing in on official visits - especially transfers? These guys may be great, but when we get a transfer commit, I'm having to look these guys up because I haven't ever heard of them and I don't think they have been discussed here in any serious manner. That applies to this guy from Middle Tennessee and well as the recent guy from Illinois at Chicago.

I feel like I'm supposed to say "heck yeah" but I have no idea who our primary targets were outside of RJ Luis.
pierceshipp
AG
another primary target right now is Chendall Weaver
Gap
AG
pierceshipp said:

another primary target right now is Chendall Weaver
Guard from UT-Arlington.

Appreciate the info!
phorizt
Lawrence has gradually improved his shooting every year and shot 35% from 3 this year in CUSA play. That's what Wade Taylor shot for us and he was easily the best shooter out of our starters. The kid from MTSU that went to Memphis got all of the hype bc he had an exciting highlight video but Lawrence is clearly a better offensive player than the Memphis kid.

Weaver shot 40% from 3 as a freshman at UT-A so that would be really nice to add someone like that.
Method Man
UTx recruiting him.
Method Man
Is this Jordan Williams' replacement?
An L of an Ag
AG
Love the hoops recruiting right now!
FTAG 2000
AG
Another poor shooting guard for Ag hoops. Maybe when the TMF is done propping up Jimbo it can find some cash for some shooters.
Divining Rod
what an ass ^

and by the way, he has a better shooting % (both 2pt amd 3pt) than all our starting. guards that went 15-3 in SEC.

His 2pt FG% was over 49%. and 3pt% over 34%. over half his shots were from 3pt line. Buzz might know what he's doing.
FTAG 2000
AG
Divining Rod said:

what an ass ^

and by the way, he has a better shooting % (both 2pt amd 3pt) than all our starting. guards that went 15-3 in SEC.

His 2pt FG% was over 49%. and 3pt% over 34%. over half his shots were from 3pt line. Buzz might know what he's doing.
He's a career 33% three point shooter.

Saying he's better than our guys this past season isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. We need more scoring and shooting on this squad.

I don't blame Buzz for this at all, he's doing the best he can. Football sucking all the NIL funds to try to save Jimbo's tail at the expense of our lesser sports, I have a problem with.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Divining Rod said:

what an ass ^

Wade Taylor shot 35.6% from 3-point range this season. Eli Lawrence shot 34.0%. Not sure where you're from but in my world 35.6% is better than 34.0%. If you want to go to the bench Andersson Garcia (40.0%), Manny Obaseki (38.5%), and Hayden Hefner (35.2%) are all higher than Lawrence. Granted, those are smaller sample sizes but it doesn't give me a ton of confidence here. Now Lawrence may be so good at the rest of his game that the 3P% doesn't matter all that much but don't act like he's going to be much of an upgrade to what we already had on the roster when it comes to outside shooting.
greg.w.h
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Divining Rod said:

what an ass ^

He's a career 33% three point shooter.

Saying he's better than our guys this past season isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. We need more scoring and shooting on this squad.

I don't blame Buzz for this at all, he's doing the best he can. Football sucking all the NIL funds to try to save Jimbo's tail at the expense of our lesser sports, I have a problem with.
Sources please for the otherwise speculative NIL comments.
Method Man
You're right but he's obviously better than Manny or Hefner so good pickup
Wrecking Crew 21
Definitely an improvement!
Aggie 63
Divining Rod
Know Your Enemy said:

…Wade Taylor shot 35.6% from 3-point range this season. Eli Lawrence shot 34.0%. Not sure where you're from but in my world 35.6% is better than 34.0%…..

i mustve been lookinag at his career stats. still remains, posting that was an ass

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/wade-tayloriv-1.html

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.