Rodney Terry

11,683 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halfastros81
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He earned the job a month ago. I figure there is no way they let him walk and they have already been negotiating behind the scenes and will wait until after the year to finalize something. His agent probably is like we are going to ride this out as a final 4 trip might make the offer go up. Agent probably floating his name around for the Penn St job too.
Faustus
Penders had to be fired because of the Axtell scandal.

Barnes was a mistake IMO, but he set the bar too high in the first 10 years, followed by 7 years of not making the Sweet 16. Firing Mack also turned out to be not so great, but I can't blame the program(s) for aspiring for better during relative declines. 20/20.
halfastros81
AG
Smart as well. He's a good coach. I'll admit I didn't watch Texas basketball enough to know what the issue was besides not winning enough .

Agree Barnes was a bad firing . He is good.
Faustus
It was just not winning enough. He did worse than the two coaches before him, both in terms of making the Dance (missed twice), and winning once there (0-3). He did worse in his six years than Barnes did in the same time frame before - which got Barnes fired.

I'm glad Shaka is doing well with Marquette. I'm also glad Shaka didn't make a deep run once he was away from Austin.
94chem
The t.u. basketball culture cares more about recruiting one-and-done talent than winning. It's not a place for somebody who wants to coach. Barnes burned out on these expectations, and has been rejuvenated personally and professionally since going to Tennessee. Texas wants a Calipari-type hire, not a grinder. You can win with either type of player, like Roy Williams did. But there are very few programs that can change identities with the same coach. You have to decide if you wanna be modeled after Wisconsin/Virginia, or Kentucky/Duke. 'Sips like their fancy toys and AAU boys.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
MarcAg
AG
94chem said:

The t.u. basketball culture cares more about recruiting one-and-done talent than winning. It's not a place for somebody who wants to coach. Barnes burned out on these expectations, and has been rejuvenated personally and professionally since going to Tennessee. Texas wants a Calipari-type hire, not a grinder. You can win with either type of player, like Roy Williams did. But there are very few programs that can change identities with the same coach. You have to decide if you wanna be modeled after Wisconsin/Virginia, or Kentucky/Duke. 'Sips like their fancy toys and AAU boys.

I would imagine if that's true, this year should have changed their thinking. They are winning with 4th and 5th year guys, not freshmen
Aggie1188
I doubt Texas is going to hire a head coach that has dark Black skin. Just the truth. Just how they are. You remember what happened when they hired Charlie Strong and the released emails.
Aggie1188
So far they've beat a 15 seed & 10 seed. First time to the sweet 16 since 2008. Lmao
AgEfan
Aggie1188 said:

I doubt Texas is going to hire a head coach that has dark Black skin. Just the truth. Just how they are. You remember what happened when they hired Charlie Strong and the released emails.

Well if that is truly the case, then I guess it's good news for Rodney Terry as I'm not sure anybody has ever referred to him as having "dark black skin".
peachbasket
After tonight, they are probably favorites to win it all. If that happens, I don't see that there is really a decision to be made.
peachbasket
bobinator
AG
Yeah? You think winning a national title might be enough?
AgEng06
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah? You think winning a national title might be enough?
DukeMu
bobinator said:

I said coming into the tournament that I hoped Texas would do just well enough that they have to keep him.

Maybe he really is a good coach now, but I think I'll take my chances with him running the show there rather than whoever they might hire.
The way things are now, I'm afraid UConn or t.u. are going to run the table.
Charlie Moran
AG
I'm happy for his " success ". Basically minding the store. He will likely flame out as replacement head coach much like WSU's assistant did following Marshall. Not everyone is a Jerome Tang or Roy Williams there are just as many Jeff Capels and Danny Mannings. I'm more worried about Beard at Ole Miss than Terry. Now in 3 years I'll be dreading his replacement
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
Count Swagula
Yep, ol' Charlie Strong is so light skinned he's practically Caucasian.
Texas velvet maestro
you don't do a thing until this all over. this is all about the players taking responsibility and getting
credit
mikesyracuse1
Not really a decision to be made now! I don't think this is where they wanted to go, but it's pretty much sealed up now.

Mikesyracuse1

Faustus
NM
southwestag
Count Swagula said:

Yep, ol' Charlie Strong is so light skinned he's practically Caucasian.

His wife was/is

Someone must have a sealed envelope on terry ready to drop if they do hire him at UT permanently since it's taking this long
rsf0626
Easiest answer ever. Very obviously yes
Gunner90'
Yes, I think they keep him now. Actually thought the job was his since they won the conference tourney.

Graduated high school with Rodney, though we barely knew each other. I don't think I actually had a class with him after middle school (I changed schools a few time in between), but he was well liked by others. Really good receiver in football, great in basketball and good in baseball. Seemed a solid guy, and has nice history moving up as a coach.

Rodney was voted most athletic for our class, but that may have been because our quarterback blew out his knee in the third game. Tying it all back to A&M, that QB was pretty good in basketball and great in baseball. He was Brent Gilbert, who lettered in '89-'90 as an Aggie pitcher before a few years in the Yankees organization. Also, the most athletic girl that year was Renee Blaha, who was great in basketball and track and was part of the Ags' national title-winning softball team in '87.
TexAggie1999
Aggie1188 said:

Seriously? Playing the race card? If anything, being black will help him get hired. Suggesting he wont get hired because he is black is pathetic.
Double Diamond
Terry is the classic. Overachieve. Get the job. Can't keep it going.
Faustus
Double Diamond said:

Terry is the classic. Overachieve. Get the job. Can't keep it going.

That's my fear, so hopefully he keeps it going this year if he's done enough already.

We lose most of our team and all of our mustache (Brock) heading into next season, so November will be a challenge.
Blinnaggie2002
As far as basketball there isn't any question tu is where every national level elite coach would want to be at. This is definitely a top 10 coaching job. Can't say any other school in Texas could say the same.
MarcAg
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Not really a decision to be made now! I don't think this is where they wanted to go, but it's pretty much sealed up now.

Mikesyracuse1

Now what would be interesting is if they came to a silent agreement with somebody like the week they fired Beard before Terry made this strong run
Belton Ag
AG
Blinnaggie2002 said:

As far as basketball there isn't any question tu is where every national level elite coach would want to be at. This is definitely a top 10 coaching job. Can't say any other school in Texas could say the same.
Really, every national elite coach wants to be at Texas?

If they retain Terry then we know that statement is BS. If they get rid of him, we'll see who they pull.
AgEfan
Just like every coach wants to go coach their football team.
Blinnaggie2002
I should clarify if we are talking elite coaches interested in a school in Texas, tu is where they would want to be at. Certainly not the Aggies as we don't have the history that they do in basketball.
_lefraud_
AG
The last two coaches Texas hired had final fours on their resume.

UCLA can't say that
Indiana can't say that
Louisville can't say that
UConn can't say that
Florida can't say that
MarcAg
AG
Oklahoma can say they hired a guy with a final 4 on his resume
Method Man
Ucla and UCONN can say the guys they hired made the final four but I get your point.
TyHolden
AG
Mark Few is going to Texas. It's already reported. Austin is just like Oregon.
Method Man
Also, not that it matters, but his skin isn't *that* dark.
AgEng06
AG
Austin radio says Terry has or will be offered the job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.