*****NCAAT Sweet 16/Elite 8 Thread*****

42,723 Views | 673 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JWinTX
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
75AG said:

Throw in, catch, pass, shoot all in 1.4 seconds?

Clock isn't starting until the first touch and it was a super quick pass and shot release. This is why missing the FT is at least considered - although I'd still like to be where I can't lose on a miracle
Proposition Joe
EliteZags said:

WOW you HAVE to miss that last FT

Duke almost lost a title game to Butler years back from giving them an inbound shot with a worthless 2pt lead with ticks left

Problem is you can't really tell kids at this level (or even at the pro level) to purposely miss a free throw. Too much chance you miss everything -- then UCLA is running the same play to potentially win it instead of just go to OT.
75AG
AG
Agree on missing the FT and understand the catch time start thing, but that sure seemed like a long 1.4
TyperWoods
Great game but Gonzaga better hit more FTs or that will be their downfall.
Know Your Enemy
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

75AG said:

Throw in, catch, pass, shoot all in 1.4 seconds?

Clock isn't starting until the first touch and it was a super quick pass and shot release. This is why missing the FT makes sense

I get the argument to miss that shot and I'd probably lean that way but if you make it you're up 3 and it's impossible to lose at that point. Worst case you're heading to OT. With my luck I'd have my guy Miss on purpose and the other team would hit a full court heave at the buzzer to send us home.
EliteZags
AG
oh right thought they were only up 1

I had the Duke game mixed up too they missed the FT to go up 3 then nearly lost it

but if you watch both FTs closely it appears he either rushed the last one or actually flung it up trying to miss on purpose(shooting motion was very different) and almost bit them, that was obvs too much time left to try to miss it

goose egg from Zags starting backcourt, Timme missed some gimmes early woulda broken 40
bobinator
AG
Yeah, personally, I only try to miss the free throw if I'm up 1.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, i clarified that wouldnt be my choice. But it also wouldnt be the worst idea ever if you can count on the guy at the line
AggieOO
75AG said:

Agree on missing the FT and understand the catch time start thing, but that sure seemed like a long 1.4

As a spurs fan, 1.4 seconds is essentially an entire half. Talk to me when we are looking at .4
birdman
Gonzaga isn't skilled enough to miss on purpose.

If the guy air balls it, the clock doesn't start. Bruins can substitute. And they throw the ball down the count from baseline
Proposition Joe
Anecdotal, but I feel like at least 20% of "miss free throw on purpose" either hit off the backboard and catch no rim (a violation, clock doesn't start) or go in.

The clock scenario I'm surprised we don't see more often is in-bounding and throwing the ball up in the air to the other end of the court with < 5 seconds. If done properly, by the time actually hits out of bounds time will have expired, or the other team will have under a second left on the other side of the court.
bobinator
AG
I actually think center hanging scoreboards are part of why we don't see this more.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the most reliable intentional miss is the one fired pretty firmly toward the backboard. Not gonna airball, should catch rim, probably coming off a bit hot and tough to handle. It may bank in, but if so, meh.

Again, i try to make the one tonight, but if he's shooting with a 1 point lead, that's what I'm doing
WoMD
75AG said:

Just got back from the games, and in the arena it was 1.1 seconds, not 1.4. Either way, I agree that all of that wasn't possible in a shade over 1 second. Regardless, freaking amazing show tonight.

Oh, and lots of drunk sad Arkansas fans on the strip tonight. I almost feel bad for them. Almost…

What a blast. Ready for Saturday!
EliteZags
AG
crazy stat Zags out-rebounded them 50-26, but UCLA actually still put up more shots from the turnover disparity
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I actually think center hanging scoreboards are part of why we don't see this more.

Did not think of that. Always just kind of wondered at a place like Reed if you threw the ball with some arc down the other end of the court how much time could you actually burn... 4 seconds? 5 seconds?

With college free throw shooters, sometimes think the time coming off and the ball on the opposite end of the court is a better strategy.

Of course it also seems rare that the clock operators handle things correctly and only stop clock once ball touches something out of bounds...
bobinator
AG
I want to say Reed is where I actually someone hit the scoreboard trying to do that, but I can't remember the game.

i think another reason you don't see it more is just coaches being control freaks. Even though it makes logical sense, coaches don't trust players in those situations. Especially when you get a situation like Virginia had where that's probably what the player was trying to do but he didn't throw it nearly far or high enough.
frenchtoast
AggieBB said:

Know Your Enemy said:

TyHolden said:

Timme should have been an Ag....

He wasn't even considering us, was he?
We weren't even on his offer list.
I remember him fairly seriously considering us at the end. I found a thread on the premium board by Hop that indicated we were the team to beat a week before he signed at Gonzaga.
CapCityAg89
AG
frenchtoast said:

AggieBB said:

Know Your Enemy said:

TyHolden said:

I remember him fairly seriously considering us at the end. I found a thread on the premium board by Hop that indicated we were the team to beat a week before he signed at Gonzaga.

His parents are Ags. We offered. He probably even briefly considered. But no, no real chance.
RED AG 98
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

frenchtoast said:

AggieBB said:

Know Your Enemy said:

TyHolden said:

His parents are Ags. We offered. He probably even briefly considered. But no, no real chance.
Really? Hop was at his announcement and seemed to think otherwise even just a few hours before.
The Porkchop Express
This is probably my favorite basketball intelligence play of all time. Lakers up 91-90 on Portland in the final 10 seconds of the game. Portland misses, Magic gets the rebound and instead of letting them foul him, he throws the ball down to the other end of the court too fast for any Portland guy to get it, but slowly enough to burn the clock down to 0.1 second left.

That wouldn't work in the Zags situation last night, but you could do something really off the wall, like bouncing the ball as hard as you could off the court and sending it into the stands. I'm pretty sure the rules state that it's not a dead ball until it actually lands out of bounds.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Iowaggie
AG

(It's funny because Alabama of all teams needs to read the room regarding basketball player behavior)
LawHall88
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

frenchtoast said:

AggieBB said:

Know Your Enemy said:

TyHolden said:

This has been an oft-repeated statement, but I don't think it's true.
Quote:

Matt Timme's ability and athleticism caught the eye of John Shumate, then-coach at Division I Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Following Timme's career at SMU, where he averaged nine points and six rebounds as a senior, he played overseas for a couple years in Finland and Italy.

Matt Timme returned to the Dallas area, where he met "a Texas gal" named Megan, who played Division I tennis at Stephen F. Austin.
https://www.mlive.com/sports/2021/04/the-story-of-a-dad-from-muskegon-gonzaga-and-the-journey-to-the-ncaa-basketball-title-game.html
The Porkchop Express
Iowaggie said:

(It's funny because Alabama of all teams needs to read the room regarding basketball player behavior)
I was that guy in high school. If Alabama doesn't have an enforcer on their team, they're going to run into someone who does and get whupped.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
LawHall88
AG
Faustus
LawHall88 said:

For those that haven't been watching UConn's games, Murray is cheering on the Huskies because his son is an assistant coach on Hurley's staff.

https://fansided.com/2023/03/17/bill-murray-uconn-march-madness-luke-murray/

He was an Xavier fan before that when his son was coaching there.

Pretty cool regardless.
amercer
AG
Let's go SDSU!
Method Man
SDSU looks more physical at this point and Quinnerly isn't getting to basket
Method Man
Can a guy roll around on the floor and it not be a walk?
dixichkn
AG
(Ok sorry. That one was a little over the top)
AggieNattie
SDSU's Defense is one of the best in the nation. Should be a slugfest game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Dutcher has had an interesting career. Stay attached to Steve Fisher's side for nearly 30 years, including playing a key role in landing the Fab 5. Official "Head Coach in waiting" for a good 6-7 years, which is rare for a situation like that to last that long. Then finally becomes a HC for the first time at dang near 60 years old, and has been very steady
TyHolden
AG
I'd love to see Bama go down
TyHolden
AG
Bama down 28-23 at the half. SD St D is furreal.
txag72
AG
I've been wondering about that call. I don't think I've seen a travel called all year, but I suppose it depends on if you are getting a "basketball advantage" (seems to be the word to use these days) as to whether it's a travel (?).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.