Story Poster
Texas A&M Basketball

Buzz Williams is still trying to learn & understand committee's process

March 13, 2023

Texas A&M head basketball coach Buzz Williams ruffled some feathers when he called out the NCAA Selection Committee last year when the Aggies were left out of the NCAA Tournament. On Monday morning's edition of TexAgs Radio, Williams again called for more transparency.

Key notes from Buzz Williams interview

• I've been praying a lot and thinking a lot about it. I was very aware of last year and getting beaten in the SEC Tournament Championship until we got to the postgame of that first NIT game. I knew what I was going to say was going to be offensive to some people. I didn't say a person's name or a team's name. There was a reason that I read everything I said in that press conference. I think there is some truth to that, but there is not much proof of that. There are things that are being leaked out that prove what I said last year. In college basketball, we want to play in the NCAA Tournament, and we're judged relative to that. For everybody involved, we want to know. What is the transparency and accountability? Everyone says NET. OK. Prior to yesterday, we were No. 18. We lost, and then we were No. 19. OK. No problem. Please justify our seeding. If your response is your non-conference losses and weaknesses, the NET takes that into account.

• Last year, Texas A&M was No. 43 in the NET before we lost to Tennessee. Yesterday, the No. 7 seeds in the NCAA Tournament are 42, 41, 33 and 19 in NET. We did not get selected last year, and according to the media pundits, I was a crybaby. This year, we're a No. 7 seed, played in the conference championship game and went 17-4 in 2023. How is No. 42 or No. 41 or No. 33 on the same line as us? If I knew who to ask and knew their name or names, let's meet and have a seminar to explain to all of the ADs and coaches how the process works. Let's do that. We'd all be much more aware.

• To chase a rabbit hole, I'm not going to rail against the NCAA. I was suspended for two games during COVID because our guys went to a church for 10 days and shot balls during COVID. I don't think it's right as a leader to give my emotion to this anymore. In truth, we're thankful to be playing. We need to give all our emotion and energy to playing our best against a team that is playing incredibly well over the last month. I believe in what I am saying. I'm not trying to be a politician. We're thankful we're in the NCAA Tournament after a long drought. Our guys have earned this opportunity. Do I agree with the process? No. Am I arguing against the process? No.

• I asked Ross Bjork if he could talk to Greg Sankey and Mr. Byrne's son. We're not trying to argue. I just want to learn. Our players are smart, and they're aware of the numbers. When the No. 5 vs. No. 12 game in that region passed, I was waiting on the commercial. When our name popped up, I was like, "Oh." We're traveling tomorrow and have a lot of work, and we're excited. We were left for dead on Dec. 20 when we were in the 100s in the NET. We went on the highest run in the history of the NET, but NET is only a tool. There are relationships involved. I just want to understand. In between the lines, you have to earn your own, so we're looking forward to Thursday night. I've got to let the emotion go.
Discussion from...

Buzz Williams is still trying to learn & understand committee's process

12,426 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wrecking Crew 21
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buzz is pissed...Des Moines better watch out
Morpholino
AG
I appreciate Buzz standing up for Texas A&M. That said, time to go win some games.
aggiebrad94
AG
The approach is correct. Use their own words and data against them.
Turf96
Buzz better be careful. He may just expose the NCAA for what it is. They write a script to hopefully play out the way they want for the all mighty dollar. It isn't sport anymore it is more theater.

Character doesn't matter much look at Bama big name crime commit. Just watch because he can shoot he will somehow be cleared of any wrong doing. Sports needs to get back to building leaders not padding non athletic rich guys pockets.
greg.w.h
AG
Michael Cera Palin said:

Buzz is pissed...Des Moines better watch out
The two Gregs better come clean.
rangerdanger
AG
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not upset about a potential matchup with Texas. A rivalry game removes some of the personnel advantages, and we're the main benefactor in that exchange.

Will the Penn State matchup be tougher? Yes, but I want no part of Houston if it can be avoided.
SinKiller
I love that he uses facts, plain and simple. The Ags were hosed and it proves that this is probably more subjective than the outside world may want to think. I would imagine the "committee" hates guys like Lunardi, he's basically pre-grading them.

This is, take your #7 seed, win a game and then get boat-raced by your bitter rival...It sure looks like that's the scenario they want. Buzz will have them ready for PSU.
Decay
AG
rangerdanger said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not upset about a potential matchup with Texas. A rivalry game removes some of the personnel advantages, and we're the main benefactor in that exchange.

Will the Penn State matchup be tougher? Yes, but I want no part of Houston if it can be avoided.
We're not upset about that.

It's the manipulation of seeds to achieve it. The sips are a legit 2, fine.

But we got hammered by 2 lines at least just to put us here. They have all these agendas and making sure conferences don't get crowded into regions and last two weeks and noncon and NET and quad W/L and in the end it's just... the same arbitrary crap.

Stop hiding behind the numbers if they mean nothing.
Lake08
rangerdanger said:

So you're saying penn st will be tougher than Texas??
AggnHou
AG
No one is upset about playing Texas, we should not be a 7 seed.
rangerdanger
AG
Lake08 said:

rangerdanger said:

So you're saying penn st will be tougher than Texas??

Penn State will be tougher than a 5 seed tilt with a 12. Also a 5 seed matchup would have gotten us a ride with Houston earlier.
AWP 97
AG
Why does he need to know the process? Just win as many games as possible and apparently strengthen the non-conference schedule. Him knowing the process has no bearing on what the committee chooses to do.
notex
AG
AWP 97 said:

Why does he need to know the process? Just win as many games as possible and apparently strengthen the non-conference schedule. Him knowing the process has no bearing on what the committee chooses to do.
As a reminder, Dr. Loftin fired Mr. Byrne, who had he remained in his capacity as AD we would have remained in the Big12, and had at least 3 football games a year on PPV to this very day.

Quote:

I asked Ross Bjork if he could talk to Greg Sankey and Mr. Byrne's son. We're not trying to argue. I just want to learn. Our players are smart, and they're aware of the numbers. When the No. 5 vs. No. 12 game in that region passed, I was waiting on the commercial.
That his son is now the Alabama AD, intricately involved in the NCAA basketball tournament selection process as sitting on that committee, and a at a hated rival that also played a key role in bringing the sips into the SEC, is not a small coincidence, nor is transparency in to the actual selection process/criteria that was used somehow an 'illegitimate' or otherwise wrong thing to ask for.

I'm reminded that the media (and many Aggies) didn't widely dismiss Saban's skepticism about future football schedules, nor his attitude toward 'hurry up' offenses in 2012, with similar skepticism.
12Power
I recorded and re-watched the ESPN selection show special. Reece Davis interviewed Chris Reynolds, Committee chairman, and was asked about factors in choosing bubble teams, seeds etcetera and he was all over the place as he explained the factors. The longer he talked, the more subjective it got for each individual members. Weighing factors could include injuries, away wins blah blah blah. That answers Buzz question. Buzz is being nice, but basically saying there is no set standard. It is obvious our seed makes no sense to anyone who pays attention to college basketball.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AWP 97 said:

Just cover your eyes huh? Head i the sand. Happy to be here.

No. Sorry. Our seeding has been lower than our justifiable ranking, RPI, NET, etc. time after time after time goign way back. It's about blue blood programs and thats BS and we are not one.

Sorry the system deserves to be criticized.

Reno Hightower
The inconsistency is getting very consistent.
greg.w.h
AG
You don't earn a spot in the NCAAT. It's a gift from the elites…
Sharpshooter
AG
I think ALL committee deliberations should be video recorded so anyone who wishes to can review the thought processes of the committee. This will force the committee to be honest arbiters.
sharpdressedman
Buzz is correct with his facts, deserves a detailed explanation of what has been a phantom process, and is admirably supporting his players.

Unfortunately, he is shouting into the darkness because the ncaa will, IMO, neither reveal the finite mechanics of the selection process (if they do exist) nor recognize the legitimacy of his inquiry. Instead, I anticipate that the ncaa will delight in seeking to disrespect Buzz by either ignoring his request or denigrating him for making it, and then punish Texas A&M additionally in the the future, just because.

In the meantime, Sankey will remain a silent observer.
Citizen Reign
The dumbest part is the committee putting so much weight on early-season games. I get that the entire body of work should count. However, one would think that the NCAA and their fans would want to reward teams that are playing their best at the end of the season and prove it by performing well in conf tournament play.

It's just a load of horse **** from that committee. Some dirty dirt going on with them. It's faaaaar too blatant to believe they were fair and unbiased.

Man, I hope it backfires and Buzz and crew beat PSU and tu. Would be so fn sweet.
greg.w.h
AG
Citizen Reign said:

The dumbest part is the committee putting so much weight on early-season games. I get that the entire body of work should count. However, one would think that the NCAA and their fans would want to reward teams that are playing their best at the end of the season and prove it by performing well in conf tournament play.

It's just a load of horse **** from that committee. Some dirty dirt going on with them. It's faaaaar too blatant to believe they were fair and unbiased.

Man, I hope it backfires and Buzz and crew beat PSU and tu. Would be so fn sweet.
We don't match up well against long, athletic players that well especially if they hit threes consistently. But winning both would be hilarious.
Citizen Reign
greg.w.h said:

Citizen Reign said:

We don't match up well against long, athletic players that well especially if they hit threes consistently. But winning both would be hilarious.
That's why they put us where they did.
greg.w.h
AG
Citizen Reign said:

greg.w.h said:

Citizen Reign said:

That's why they put us where they did.
Yep.
agent-maroon
AG
Early season games, OOC games, conference games, ALL the games are accounted for in the NET tool calculations. To say that you had a top 20 NET value like ours "but the OOC schedule tho" means we're being penalized for those games twice. It's complete BS to use that as an excuse. Total BS...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DGrimesAg92
Get ready for it to happen for the rest of our existence now. They've let the devil in the front door and it's all because they can't stand Texas A&M to be over shadowing the by God Texas Longhorns. Honestly, we should probably move to the Big10 and get away from that cancer in austin.
Aggie1188
DGrimesAg92 said:

Get ready for it to happen for the rest of our existence now. They've let the devil in the front door and it's all because they can't stand Texas A&M to be over shadowing the by God Texas Longhorns. Honestly, we should probably move to the Big10 and get away from that cancer in austin.
Texas is like our trans brother, and so they need a boost. Too bad for them they get a 7 seed more difficult than any other 6 or 7 seed would be.
AgAcGuy12
AG
Buzz shot across the bow on who the issue is. By saying he wanted to have a meeting with Greg Sankey and "Mr. Byrnes son" it was a clear indicator that the Byrne family is stirring the pot against us. I had forgotten that Dollar Bill was canned by Bow Tie but good riddance. I am not a basketball fan at all but I've watched more games this year than all the previous combined out of respect for Buzz. The dude is my favorite coach ever. Just go out there and win and beat the blue bloods and the rest will come.
AG
I just love the "Mr. Byrne's son" comment. Absolutely a slap In the face to Greg, with him just being Bill's son. Love it!
S.A. Aggie
AG
Turf96 said:

Buzz better be careful. He may just expose the NCAA for what it is. They write a script to hopefully play out the way they want for the all mighty dollar. It isn't sport anymore it is more theater.

Character doesn't matter much look at Bama big name crime commit. Just watch because he can shoot he will somehow be cleared of any wrong doing. Sports needs to get back to building leaders not padding non athletic rich guys pockets.

There is no exposing the NCAA. They have been exposed for years as money grabbing unfair politicians that write a self serving narrative much like the NBA.
The NCAA doesn't care about fairness. They care about ego and money.
PatriotAg02
AG
Just like in our government and country, the truth is coming to light in college athletics too.
Wrecking Crew 21
The ncaa has been exposed many times! The just want us all to bow down and worship them! Buzz is very articulate in the way he questions them and that is the problem! You should never question the gods of ncaa!
Aggie 63
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.