Travel Decisions

2,517 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AG81
waco_aggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who makes the call that we aren't going to put our student athletes through what we put them through this week?

I know they are competitors and want to play if at all possible but practically every school and business between College Station and Fayetteville shut down due to the ice and weather yet we put their safety at risk to let them go and play at a disadvantage. At least the announcers acknowledged what our boys went through to even be there.

Seems reckless to me. We went beyond reasonable accommodations to make that game happen and someone in our AD needs to stand up for our players and program personally.
greg.w.h
AG
To be clear: they diverted to Wichita early and took a bus first to Tulsa (all interstate and tollway) then to Fayetteville which was two hours and they had six or so to get there. Ice is always something you have to be careful with, but Wal-mart was running trucks most of the day and I heard they closed down Singer later today (dist center) finally. So trying to judge people who make decisions just to make them look bad seems an unusual stretch even for TexAgs…
Gap
AG
Didn't the plan prioritize safely getting there? If they would have landed south and east of Fayetteville in Little Rock, they wouldn't have been able to get there due to weather. Landing north and west allowed them to get there. If the weather would have changed from what was expected, then our travel party would have made the decision to not proceed. What they did was done safely and appropriately. They wouldn't do it any other way. Sometimes you can't get there safely. In this case, they could.
20ag07
Quote:

Who makes the call that we aren't going to put our student athletes through what we put them through this week?

We went beyond reasonable accommodations to make that game happen and someone in our AD needs to stand up for our players and program personally.
Did you see one single game in that corridor get canceled?

TCU in FW- nope.
OU in Norman- nope.

All the etc's.

We saw nothing teams nationally don't see every week.

No one in our AD needs to stand up for anything here, sweetheart.
Method Man
Survive and advance
bizag07
Quote:

Seems reckless to me. We went beyond reasonable accommodations to make that game happen and someone in our AD needs to stand up for our players and program personally.
Dafuq is wrong with you?

We lost a game, and the reason why is bc there was some ice?

OK.

List all the teams that haven't had to deal with that.

(The Big10 and Big12 teams will certainly be waiting on the response you will never give.)
Proposition Joe
We don't notice it because it's not our team, but stuff like this happens with midwest and northeast games all the time. You just don't notice when the Rutgers team plane is diverted because you aren't bothering to watch the Rutgers game.

It's a bad break and I firmly believe it impacted our play possibly to the point that it was the difference between a loss and stealing a win -- but it's no different than a player that comes down with the flu. You deal with it.
bigdog1
Kind of thinking somebody might have watched the forecast and left a day early???
mikesyracuse1
Travel issue have and will always be a part of College Sports! I know this first hand in traveling even short distances with snow and ice, chartered and commercial and even a strike by American Airlines. It's not fun, but it's part of the game. You can have everything planned out , but plans sometimes change!
Mikesyracuse1
94chem
Should've held the game over Zoom.

Or maybe on a PS-5.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
BQ_90
AG
why does weather and covid only impact A&M, we're cursed
TjgtAg08
AG
I'm sure it's a conference-level decision to postpone a game. There certainly could have been a point where it was too unsafe to get to Fayetteville, or we couldn't get there in time, and in that instance the im sure we would have worked with the conference to find a solution.

But that wasn't the case. It sucked, it was inconvenient, and I do believe it had an affect on how we played, but as others have said, that's just the breaks. It happens all across the NE during basketball season.
Frydaddy713
AG
Monday morning quarterbacking... But I wonder why not travel a day sooner and get there before the weather moved in. At least you could have had a more consistent schedule the day of the game
Bunk Moreland
FFS it wasn't that bad of a situation. Yall are acting like they showed up battered and bruised. Yes I'm sure the travel had some effect on the performance but they got to Fayetteville 7 hours before game time and got a full night's sleep the night before.
aggie-1997
AG
It is amazing how every decision the athletic department makes get scrutinized by people on these forums without any knowledge of the conversations, information, or details that are involved. Everyone here just simply knows better and is the apparent expert.
frenchtoast
Man, Reed Arena sure sucks. Have you guys seen it?
FriscoAggieFan
AG
I don't think this worked out as the OP intended.
Rec
AG
My faith in the fundamental strength of people was rather shaken this week. People are so pathetically weak sometimes it's amazing they can spend enough energy to pay the cable bill!

But I thought the basketball team fought hard and just threw up a bunch of bricks. But never quit.

The rest of civilization? Lots of em quit a long time ago
20ag07
Of course, the OP (who is an idiot) hasn't returned.
AG81
AG
greg.w.h said:

To be clear: they diverted to Wichita early and took a bus first to Tulsa (all interstate and tollway) then to Fayetteville which was two hours and they had six or so to get there. Ice is always something you have to be careful with, but Wal-mart was running trucks most of the day and I heard they closed down Singer later today (dist center) finally. So trying to judge people who make decisions just to make them look bad seems an unusual stretch even for TexAgs…

Last time we did that we were accused of ducking our opponent. Your post assumes the weather forecasters are accurate. A&M shut down because the weather forecasters said there would be significant ice throughout Brazos County. There wasn't any.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.