Had 3 timeouts left at halftime

1,102 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SilverTongueDevil
SilverTongueDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did that seem odd to anyone else? Seemed like there were numerous times in first half where we could have called timeout and given the players a breather or possibly break their momentum.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
Topher17
AG
Coaches almost always carry 3 into the half unless things are going horribly wrong.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Save them for end of game situations if possible. There are enough media timeouts to get us to half using only the use it or lose it timeout most of the time.
EliteZags
AG
timeouts aren't like in football
Method Man
You mean you don't have to use two of them in each half just to get the playcall in?
greg.w.h
AG
One timeout is lost at the half of the four. The other three carry over and one is added in the second half. Hence coaches tend to burn one if they haven't already near the end of the first half just to practice timeout adjustments and hopefully end the half ahead.

You know the game isn't going well if you start the second half with three. Or don't have any by the fifth minute of the second half. If Buzz has extras he often does one at 5, 2, and 1 in the second half to just get the team refocused. If that isn't needed one might last until the 30 second mark. If it's going very well he doesn't use them all.

That we closed to a couple of scores several times means we were in the game in spite of the fans instinct to give up. Some of those we pulled out and won. I certainly prefer wire to wire leads. But against good teams you expect back avd gotyj because basketball is momentum oriented and streaky. I think most coaches seem to use timeouts to break "streaks" but my coaches were seeing things they wanted to address and it also gave us a breather and a mental reset.
Divining Rod
it's a good thing there are no kickoffs in basketball.
EliteZags
AG
off topic I kinda always wished NCAA allowed each team 1 ball advancing timeout per game, would make for some more interesting finishes
SilverTongueDevil
My bad. Forgot you can carry them over to 2nd half.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.