A&M Hoops Hosting Several Official Visitors

3,395 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LawHall88
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
For the hoops junkies. Nothing urgent here, just some names to file away.

I'm working on adding to the list, but here are two 2024 guys on official visits this weekend in CS.

Andre Mills plays in Vermont. He's a 6-foot-3 versatile guard. A&M was one of his first offers last summer, but he was under the radar. He's had a great summer and the offers are starting to roll in like Iowa, Rutgers, etc. He's known for his transition game and his defensive skills…which is what this staff looks for. He's still a 3-star on 247, but there's some momentum after the summer circuit that should move him up.

George Turkson is a 6-foot-8 forward from Massachusetts who is a four-star guy ranked around No. 110 on the composite lists. He too was offered as a sophomore last summer by the A&M staff when he had a few offers from northeast schools like hometown UMASS, Providence, Boston College and then Cal. He's known as an athletic shot blocker and good defender with developing offensive skills.

B$Weigem
AG
Good stuff! Excited for this season with a lot of new faces.
HunterAggie
Between basketball and baseball recruiting, I can't keep up.

Thanks, Hop, for the updates !
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
SpicyAg
AG
Turkson looks solid! Potentially a Coleman replacement when he graduates?
gstu11
Keanu Dawes, the 2023 forward from Houston is also taking an official visit. I know the staff has been high on him for a couple of years. He took a visit to Oklahoma State a few weeks ago and is scheduled to visit both BYU and Utah the next couple of weeks. Believe he is originally from Utah which explains the interest from out west.
gstu11

Hop
Staff
AG
Yeah, while the others are 2024 guys, Dawes is a 2023 recruit and he's already taken visits to Rice and Oklahoma State. He visits A&M this weekend, and then he goes to BYU and Utah to conclude his five visits. He's originally from Utah and he is Mormon so going back to Utah is a possibility. What many Aggies also don't know is that Texas A&M has the second largest enrollment of Mormon students in the country behind BYU.

He's expected to make an announcement before the early signing period so this should wrap up pretty quickly.

He's listed at 6-foot-7 on the databases but recent pictures suggest he's more like 6-foot-9 and very quick and skilled for his size. He'll need to add some bulk at the next level.

OldCorpsTerd86
AG
my wife says i'm under the radar but i don' think it's a good thing.

B$Weigem
AG
Hop said:

Yeah, while the others are 2024 guys, Dawes is a 2023 recruit and he's already taken visits to Rice and Oklahoma State. He visits A&M this weekend, and then he goes to BYU and Utah to conclude his five visits. He's originally from Utah and he is Mormon so going back to Utah is a possibility. What many Aggies also don't know is that Texas A&M has the second largest enrollment of Mormon students in the country behind BYU.

He's expected to make an announcement before the early signing period so this should wrap up pretty quickly.

He's listed at 6-foot-7 on the databases but recent pictures suggest he's more like 6-foot-9 and very quick and skilled for his size. He'll need to add some bulk at the next level.

Dare I say it... Ethan Henderson Jr ?
Cobra39
Good info.

Filed.

Cobra39
gstu11
Hop. Any guess on how good our chances are with Dawes?
rlb28
AG
Dawes was ranked #5 in Greater Houston by RCS Sports.
Hop
Staff
AG
B$Weigem said:

Hop said:

Dare I say it... Ethan Henderson Jr ?

Yeah, Henderson flashes those spin moves all day long.
Hop
Staff
AG
gstu11 said:

Hop. Any guess on how good our chances are with Dawes?

Everything I've heard is that A&M is a serious player here. He had a good visit to OSU and you can't rule out BYU and his Mormon roots. But overall, I think A&M hits all of his hot buttons and seems to like Buzz's approach to coaching and life.

So I think A&M is in a good spot, but the general thinking is these official visits will be the deciding factor. He seems open to everybody.
cityagboy
AG
Will he take his two year mission trip before starting college?
livinmw
WOW, Dawes looks like he has some really good length. We really need legit length inside. I don't know how much he shoots from outside and what his % is but I saw in the film clip that outside shot and it looked good.
GIG EM AGGIES!!!
B$Weigem
AG
Was talking more about his physique. They look very similar in that regard.
Chuck Gay
AG
Glad to see a robust list of OV's. I didn't know 2024's could take official visits yet. Have they always been able to take OV's this early?
Hop
Staff
AG
Chuck Gay said:

Glad to see a robust list of OV's. I didn't know 2024's could take official visits yet. Have they always been able to take OV's this early?

The NCAA expanded the official visit window a few years back.
livinmw
According to 247, we also have Jamari McDowell from the 23 class on campus this weekend as well.

Here is the write up piece of this article in case you don't want to search through the link above.

Quote:

Texas A&M - Buzz Williams has four players on campus for official visits this weekend. In the class of 2023, he's hosting a pair of nationally ranked local products in Jamari McDowell and Keanu Dawes. This is a chance to make a final impression on McDowell, who is also considering Wake Forest and Kansas after visiting both over the summer. Dawes went to Rice in late August and is scheduled to visit BYU later this month. In 2024, they're hosting the Mass Rivals duo of Andre Mills and George Turkson.
Does anybody know if we have a serious chance with McDowell. Nationally top 45 guy and would really help from a shooting and scoring perspective. Just wondering why he hasn't been mentioned and if we have a legit shot or he is just taking a visit b/c he is close being from Manvel?
GIG EM AGGIES!!!
Hop
Staff
AG
amskier1 said:

According to 247, we also have Jamari McDowell from the 23 class on campus this weekend as well.

Here is the write up piece of this article in case you don't want to search through the link above.

Quote:

Texas A&M - Buzz Williams has four players on campus for official visits this weekend. In the class of 2023, he's hosting a pair of nationally ranked local products in Jamari McDowell and Keanu Dawes. This is a chance to make a final impression on McDowell, who is also considering Wake Forest and Kansas after visiting both over the summer. Dawes went to Rice in late August and is scheduled to visit BYU later this month. In 2024, they're hosting the Mass Rivals duo of Andre Mills and George Turkson.
Does anybody know if we have a serious chance with McDowell. Nationally top 45 guy and would really help from a shooting and scoring perspective. Just wondering why he hasn't been mentioned and if we have a legit shot or he is just taking a visit b/c he is close being from Manvel?

It sounds like it's down to Wake Forest and A&M. He visited Xavier but they just got a commit from a similar player and apparently took his spot. He visited Kansas last month but it appears he's a back-up plan.

McDowell has already announced a decision date next week. Wake was his first official visit and they did a very good job. I think A&M will need to knock it out of the park to beat out the Demon Deacons. Going into the A&M visit, I'd guess that Wake has a slight 60-40 type of lead.

He was one of the fastest risers this summer. He's from Manvel. He reminds me a lot of Manny O.
Hop
Staff
AG
I didn't see anybody discussing official visits this weekend so I moved my thread from premium for your reading pleasure.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Appreciate it, Hop.
Gap
AG
Looking forward to any post visit updates on these visits.
taylorswift13
LawHall88
AG
livinmw
Quote:

McDowell has already announced a decision date next week.
When next week or should I say this week? Will it be on TV or just announcing online?
GIG EM AGGIES!!!
fightinags2013
AG
Saw Turkson when his AAU team came though this summer. He was fantastic.

Same with McDowell. He started the summer off with a fairly low profile, but really blew up. He looked great in the one game I saw him in. That being said, I'm not taking Him over Lewis, Jaland Lowe, Gehrig Normand, Finley Bizjack, or Drew Steffe (all guards that 247 has ranked lower).
LawHall88
AG
Anchorhold
Gap
AG
Anchorhold said:

Seems like the top rated guy on our board.

Anyone know where we stand?
LawHall88
AG
Gap said:

Anchorhold said:

Seems like the top rated guy on our board.

Anyone know where we stand?

He chose Kansas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.