Fort Worth Doubleheader Partner Game Announced

4,136 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by greg.w.h
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you thought our game being in Fort Worth was a mystery, well then the mystery just got more mysterious.

bobinator
AG
Maybe Boise and St. Mary's will both get COVID and we can do what Kentucky and UNC did in the CBS Sports Classic.
Matsui
Proposition Joe
Tens of people will be in attendance!
Method Man
What selfish person made sure this horrible game was scheduled?
gstu11
Now the game with Boise state makes sense. About two years ago we were scheduled to play them in Houston at that battleground event but the event was canceled (covid?). Last year it was TCU in Houston for the same battleground event. If I had to guess someone in the program is tight with the promoter of this battleground thing.
Expert Analysis
AG
How about a home and home with Houston and St Mary's and Boise just comes to us.
This event does not move the needle. Schedule better home games or events with multiple good games…
MarcAg
AG
3 of those 4 teams finished the regular season in the top 30 in the NET rankings.
Expert Analysis
AG
Those are all teams I would like to see us play at home. All 4 finished the season top 36. They are good teams, but they don't make good games that will draw interest.
greg.w.h
AG
You would think…nah…clearly there is a handshake commitment to play a game in both cities in alternating years probably to be visible recruiting wise. Only explanation that fits the quality.
MarcAg
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Those are all teams I would like to see us play at home. All 4 finished the season top 36. They are good teams, but they don't make good games that will draw interest.
I am sure it's about money first and we probably make good money from play this. And the other thing they probably have an easier time getting DFW kids to come to their game than one in CS. But probably mostly it's about money.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Boise State?!?!!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?

Idaho!?!!?!??!

Fort Worth?!?!!??!!?

wtf
Aggie09Derek
AG
Such a trash idea.

Would be one thing if double header with TCU/Ark and A&M/Tech…
Anchorhold
Sooooo tickets go on sale tomorrow? Anybody got any seating advice for someone that's never seen a sporting competition at Dickies that didn't involve livestock or motorized vehicles?
MarcAg
AG
Anchorhold said:

Sooooo tickets go on sale tomorrow? Anybody got any seating advice for someone that's never seen a sporting competition at Dickies that didn't involve livestock or motorized vehicles?
I think I sat at the very top row (close to center court) when we played Texas and thought my seats were just fine. I probably could have found a seat closer on game day if I had wanted to move down. There obviously will be tons of tickets available and if you don't care how much you spend you can get tickets pretty much anywhere you want. If you don't want to spend a ton then buy tickets up top and it's not a bad seat and again you likely could move closer if you wanted.
Legal Custodian
AG
I got an email today about the presale happening today. Code is 2K22 if anyone is interested.
MarcAg
AG
I will probably skip it because I will want to watch the SEC championship game. That's my biggest issue with this event is they chose to put it on the same day as championship saturday in college football. Heck UH might be playing for a AAC championship that day. I don't know if Boise would bring any fans, but they also might be playing for a championship in football that day.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I splurged and bought courtside seats.
greg.w.h
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Well done! I need to look. We just had been financially limited for a while and finally can do things like that again if I can hit my wife's free time. I'm working out of Westlake then anyway so easy drive if I go in.
Expert Analysis
AG
In 3 years I think A&M, tu, Baylor, and Tech should create an annual 2 game event. SEC vs Big12 switch opponent each year. Switch between Houston and Dallas/Ft.Worth every 2 years.
I am not sure what the SEC Big12 challenge will look like in the future if it even happens, but this can be in addition to that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
greg.w.h said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Well done! I need to look. We just had been financially limited for a while and finally can do things like that again if I can hit my wife's free time. I'm working out of Westlake then anyway so easy drive if I go in.
I'm sure I could have sat pretty close for a lot less money but I don't get many chances to sit courtside for a big time college basketball game so when I saw them pop up I went ahead and bit the bullet. All in with service charges and parking right next to the arena it was about $340. Merry Christmas to me, I guess.
greg.w.h
AG
Expert Analysis said:

In 3 years I think A&M, tu, Baylor, and Tech should create an annual 2 game event. SEC vs Big12 switch opponent each year. Switch between Houston and Dallas/Ft.Worth every 2 years.
I am not sure what the SEC Big12 challenge will look like in the future if it even happens, but this can be in addition to that.
I will extend your comment with some things that make me wonder:

Will the Rose Bowl and Champions Bowl deals survive expansion with the existing conference partners intact?? Pac-12 losing USC/UCLA, Big 12 losing Texas/OU, and concurrent CFP expansion could doom those partnerships.

Will the existing Big 12/SEC basketball challenge series riffing on the ACC-Big Ten conference challenge continue?

As we get answers to those, I think the possibility of a Texas-centric series becomes possible if the Big 12/SEC series doesn't continue. But I think it's worth playing even after conference shifts. And even with the 16 v. 12 disparity.
bobinator
AG
Been wanting something like this for ten years now...
Expert Analysis
AG
even if the big 12 SEC challenge continues, which I think it should as the Big 12 is adding some quality basketball programs, you can still have this instate rivalry setup. The leagues get to pick who plays who so you just don't schedule these pairings.

Bob, with tu coming to SEC it now sets up perfect.
EliteZags
AG
I won't be able to make this game, I'm going to see Cleveland State play U of Alaska Anchorage in Pecos, NM
Know Your Enemy
AG
EliteZags said:

I won't be able to make this game, I'm going to see Cleveland State play U of Alaska Anchorage in Pecos, NM
Don't quit your day job, Sparky.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Game times announced.
Texas A&M vs Boise State 6pm ESPNU
Houston vs St Mary's 8:30pm
Super Aggie 64
AG
The cheapest pair of tickets is $91 after taxes and fees plus $20 for parking, and the game starts during the SEC championship game. Attendance will be terrible!
Aggie09Derek
AG
Less than I'll take the under on 4k people

Just don't get it vs scheduling all more regional teams or just playing these games at home.

Last year the TCU game at Toyota barely had anyone there….largest alumni base for A&M and probably 2nd for TCU.

The Ark/Texas and Zona/A&M at Toyota at least was fairly well attended. 3/4th of lower level probably fully. Good amount of those were Zona fans too (lots traveled from around the state to come see them play).
Know Your Enemy
AG
cdowsk said:

The cheapest pair of tickets is $91 after taxes and fees plus $20 for parking, and the game starts during the SEC championship game. Attendance will be terrible!
A prime example why A&M doesn't deserve a great basketball program. There is no chance Jimbo gets the team to the SECG so why should timing matter?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Expert Analysis said:

I just want a team that can compete with those programs year in and year out. Feels like we fell soooo far behind by holding onto Kennedy while all the other major programs in the state really invested in top coaches and facilities and are now common place features in the Sweet 16, Elite 8 and Final 4

That's what I want for us
Gap
AG
Kennedy went to 2 Sweet 16's in his last 4 years for those who don't recall it after going 0-4 making the tournament in his first 4 years.

The idea was to improve from those last 4 years of Kennedy and be more consistent and in the NCAA tourney even in the "off' years.

This is a big year for Buzz after fielding 0 NCAA tournament teams in his first 3 years simply to avoid the Kennedy comparisons.

We have to start strong this year. This is our best and most complete roster of Buzz's tenure and I'm looking forward to meeting and even exceeding the expectations the pundits have set for us.
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Kennedy went to 2 Sweet 16's in his last 4 years for those who don't recall it after going 0-4 making the tournament in his first 4 years.

The idea was to improve from those last 4 years of Kennedy and be more consistent and in the NCAA tourney even in the "off' years.

This is a big year for Buzz after fielding 0 NCAA tournament teams in his first 3 years simply to avoid the Kennedy comparisons.

We have to start strong this year. This is our best and most complete roster of Buzz's tenure and I'm looking forward to meeting and even exceeding the expectations the pundits have set for us.
Meh. You don't like the hire and want to make sure he's held to the same standard BK was not held to.

He needs to make tournament and having a run like in the NIT would be fantastic. But he isn't going anywhere at the end of the year unless the team craps out. Is that going to happen?
Gap
AG
So you agree with what I said there but just can't bring yourself to admit it.
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

So you agree with what I said there but just can't bring yourself to admit it.
i'm more likely to go to Dickey's than Reed. Dickey's is about 20 miles from work.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.