Bring On Basketball Season!

5,352 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Complete Idiot
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to revel in it. Every game. I want to come here and shoot the bull and get challenged with facts, perspectives, insights, and some group stupidity from time to time.

I'd like a great outcome, but as a former student I know I can't cause one except by being in the stands. So I'm just going to do my best to support the team and enjoy watching them come together.

But the mystery of this team is mighty and I look forward to unboxing this season. With a little chemistry, some hard work, a lot of dedication and a smidgen of luckā€¦this could be a great campaign for Texas Aggies on both intercollegiate basketball teams!
StinkyPinky
AG
Especially now, couldn't be more ready for it. Last season was not only intoxicating, but it also clearly demonstrated where we are at with coaching, culture, and talent. All the things we were expecting to experience on the football field this year. Buzz is proving to be the real deal, I hope the rest of Aggieland gets behind him.
Gap
AG
I am hopeful for this basketball season, but would like to point out in fairness Jimbo has 1 NY6 bowl appearance at A&M in the Orange Bowl that would be equivalent to a Final 4 or at worst Sweet 16 in college basketball. We are hoping to make the Field of 68 in Buzz's year 4.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

I am hopeful for this basketball season, but would like to point out in fairness Jimbo has 1 NY6 bowl appearance at A&M in the Orange Bowl that would be equivalent to a Final 4 or at worst Sweet 16 in college basketball. We are hoping to make the Field of 68 in Buzz's year 4.

Count me has not hoping but EXPECTING we make the NCAAT. Not only make it but comfortably. I feel nearly as confident that will happen as I did in the pre-season leading up to Caruso, House, Jones senior year, even though Kennedy was 0-4 doing that going into that season. The roster was simply so soundly constructed that I had little doubt.

I don't think this year's roster is quite as talented overall as that team was but I think Buzz is a superior prep and in-game coach to Kennedy and like that team, I think this team and staff Will particularly have a chip on its shoulder after having to dine in the NIT the previous season ( in this team's case getting screwed over by the NCAA committee).

The SEC is also loaded this year and will provide lots of in-conference resume building chances. I'd rate us right now pre-season about 4th-6th best team in the conference. Only Kentucky and Arkansas and Tennessee would I definitively rate above A&M right now.
halfastros81
AG
The thing about basketball is we don't get so ridiculously jacked up with high expectations. To me that helps make it more enjoyable to watch a team develop. Having said that I expect an NCAA team this yr and in fairness imo they clearly deserved a bid last yr.
Topher17
AG
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I actually think the SEC might take a little step back this year as far as depth of the league goes. The top of the league looks to be elite, but outside of that it is there for the taking. I see no reason why we shouldn't be the top of that next group within the conference.

This team is going to have plenty of time to grow and develop before we really get challenged. I think we have the potential to be a really good squad that is a lot of fun to watch.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Topher17 said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I actually think the SEC might take a little step back this year as far as depth of the league goes. The top of the league looks to be elite, but outside of that it is there for the taking. I see no reason why we shouldn't be the top of that next group within the conference.

This team is going to have plenty of time to grow and develop before we really get challenged. I think we have the potential to be a really good squad that is a lot of fun to watch.
I think the SEC has a legit chance to get 6 teams in the NCAAT this season: Kentucky, Arkansas, Tenn, A&M, Auburn, and Bama being the pre-season favorites to grab those spots.

I see a clear separation between Kentucky and Arkansas at the top and then those other four as the next tier teams.
MarcAg
AG
Im curious to see how quickly Arkansas meshes with all new parts. They had the trip to Spain this summer so that will help them for sure.
Topher17
AG
They have a scrimmage set up against Texas this month, which will also help.

They play in Maui along with several other high quality teams, so it will be interesting to see how they come together for that since it is pretty early. The rest of their OOC schedule should give them good opportunities to get it all together prior to conference. They play some decent teams who can challenge them for maybe a half, but no one who should really be good enough to beat them. The only team they play outside the top 250 is Troy, but the only top 50 is OU, who I'm not sure I'm a believer in.
Complete Idiot
Getting excited - I like seeing the hype about roster and prospects for this season.

Do I like seeing 18 solid players who could contribute any given night? Yes. Do I think 3 great players and 4 good players would be better? Maybe. If we don't have some great players, or a clear starting 5, or not knowing who will be "hot" any given night - it can be a game management chess game.

But I'm excited to see how this large group come together, with new faces, and navigates through the season.
bobinator
AG
I assume they'll be talked about as one of the more disappointing teams in the country in like mid-January and then by March be one of the favorites to win the whole thing.
frenchtoast
MarcAg said:

Im curious to see how quickly Arkansas meshes with all new parts. They had the trip to Spain this summer so that will help them for sure.
I'm curious to see in what way they will continue to be our b*tch this season.
MarcAg
AG
frenchtoast said:

MarcAg said:

I'm curious to see in what way they will continue to be our b*tch this season.
There is nobody in this conference I want to beat more than Arkansas basketball
Topher17
AG
bobinator said:

I assume they'll be talked about as one of the more disappointing teams in the country in like mid-January and then by March be one of the favorites to win the whole thing.

So essentially very similar to last season, except maybe a bit higher ceiling come March.

I'm just glad I don't have to watch Jaylin Williams fall all over the place and get rewarded for it anymore. One of my least favorite basketball players in at least the last decade.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

Aren't we due for a summer trip? When was the last oneā€¦.Buzz's first year?
HuttoAggie
Hop, any chance we have any of those "secret" scrimmages upcoming?
Know Your Enemy
AG
If he told you then it wouldn't be a secret. Duh.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I assume we'll take one next year.
MarcAg
AG
Hop said:

MarcAg said:

We aren't eligible until next year. You can do it every 4 years. It's been 3 years.
Legal Custodian
AG
Hop said:

MarcAg said:

Yup, should be able to go this coming offseason. Wasn't his first one the year one of our players stepped on a jellyfish or sea urchin?
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Semi invite is more like a final four, but the point is well made.

But both have dealt with Covid years. Which deserves subtracting as many years as you think we should have left off BK's evaluation.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Buzz takes us Dancing this season!
Complete Idiot
Mobile Tickets arrived!

Let's go!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.