Bring On Basketball Season!

5,353 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Complete Idiot
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're a basketball school now.
Gap
AG
I'd settle for a NCAA tournament birth. Give me one of those first before we declare ourselves a basketball school.

Big year in front of us. Hopefully we get there.
GrayMatter
AG
Oh brother.

And I was gonna do an under and over when the masses would make their wat to this forum.

Oh well. It was nice hanging out with you.

We have a good team coming back. Buzz and the guys are primed for a great season. We should make the tournament this year.
bobinator
AG
Needs to not even be close
An L of an Ag
AG
Joking aside, until yesterday I would have ranked the "Big 3" sports hires as:

1) Schloss
1A) Jimbo
2) Buzz

Now? Jimbo is #3 easy.
Bunk Moreland
An L of an Ag said:

1) Schloss
1A) Jimbo
2) Buzz

Now? Jimbo is #3 easy.

Jimbo has a 1 loss season and NY6 bowl win. Buzz needs to do something in the dance before we make this statement.
bobinator
AG
Lol yeah, man people really go off the deep end.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
We can right the ship in football this season. And really looking forward to basketball and baseball.
Wrecking Crew 21
Schloss is the most impressive so far!
Aggie 63
_lefraud_
AG
Buzz hasn't even made the tournament, so we can tap the breaks. Hell, the women's golf coach has been the most impressive of them all.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

An L of an Ag said:

1) Schloss
1A) Jimbo
2) Buzz

Now? Jimbo is #3 easy.

Jimbo has a 1 loss season and NY6 bowl win. Buzz needs to do something in the dance before we make this statement.
Jimbo is getting paid amongst the top handful of coaches in college football yet has a worse record through 50 games at A&M than one Kevin Sumlin.
bobinator
AG
The only possible way you could argue that Jimbo has been worse than Buzz thus far is if you're using some kind of formula to adjust for resources and fan support or something. It's not even close otherwise.

In three years we've only even made the NIT once and his win percentage is just over 60%. That's not even that much better than what Kennedy did his first three years. It's better, but not a ton better.
greg.w.h
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Bunk Moreland said:

An L of an Ag said:

1) Schloss
1A) Jimbo
2) Buzz

Now? Jimbo is #3 easy.

Jimbo is getting paid amongst the top handful of coaches in college football yet has a worse record through 50 games at A&M than one Kevin Sumlin.
And by far the best season outcome since the NC in 2020 which led to the extension the next fall.

Only a handful of A&M coaches have directly qualified as top four national seeds in any sport, and to the extent you trust the CFP selection committee chair, we needed a single additional win which likely would have occurred against Ole Miss had that game not been cancelled.

I'll further add that Jimbo is HC of by far the most valuable A&M sport and the biggest revenue generator by several orders of magnitude and had a previous NC. So to a great extent his original salary was market based and his extension was as well. Sumlin by the same standard was overpaid and had really only his first season as an exemplary season. And he did it with a angular talent at QB that arguably no other A&M QB before or since compared to and an OC that is now an NFL head coach.

The comparison other than that is mainly focused on your personal disappointment than absolutely any understanding of the stylistic differences between the two coaches and how coaching style impacted the transition between them. Or how coaching style impacted the Sumlin tenured following A&M.

Jimbo's approach is more similar to Saban and frankly Mack Brown and appears more likely to translate between schools. And additionally, anyone paying attention likely did not see this as a peak year for our football team. Which does not excuse the poor execution.

2020 was a likely peak as was 2012 even without Johnny if we had a mobile qb while the OL gelled. King was likely selected as starter both last year and this year for the exact same reason. We need the OL to show up.
But carry on.

I think Buzz has made his case twice already with late season runs and likely will be fine from now on. I fully anticipate that unless we just have bad sequencing due to portal transfers we should not only make the dance but given last year possibly start deep runs. That would be fun, but I'm not here to sell the future accomplishments of either coach. They both need to tighten their teams' performances and create better results. Agree 100% on that point.
Know Your Enemy
AG
To be clear I am not saying Buzz has been more successful at A&M than Jimbo has. I am just not a fan of Jimbo. He's a fraud. I have more faith in Buzz moving forward than I do Fisher. Do I think Buzz is going to win a national championship? Not anytime soon as much as I would love to see it but I don't think Jimbo will either. Maybe he'll get lucky after Saban retires/dies and Georgia has a down season but he is not earning what we are paying him.
Bunk Moreland
Know Your Enemy said:

Bunk Moreland said:

An L of an Ag said:

1) Schloss
1A) Jimbo
2) Buzz

Now? Jimbo is #3 easy.

Buzz is T11 in basketball coaching salaries and has not been to the national tournament that has 68 teams in the field.

Dumb comment is dumb. Buzz needs to do something before he's 'better' than Jimbo as a hier.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

To be clear I am not saying Buzz has been more successful at A&M than Jimbo has.
Know Your Enemy
AG
And we absolutely earned a spot in the dance last year. I'll die on that hill. I would have loved to see what that squad could have done with the way they were playing at that time.
Bunk Moreland
We earned a spot in the dance last year just as much as we earned a spot in the playoffs in football in 2020.

I understand where you're trying to go but both coaches were big time hires and so far only one has shown real success. Until I see more from Buzz there's no way I'd ever consider him a better hire to date.

With that said, i'm not down on Buzz at all and look for this year to be a great season.
Know Your Enemy
AG
While I think we deserved a spot in the CFP that year the shaft Buzz got last season was way more egregious. A Sweet Sixteen run would not have been a shocker.
Aston04
AG
I like buzz. But the recruiting is average at best. Jimbo- the recruiting is incredible. The coaching is average at best (on offense at least) - defensive coaching was solid under elko.
sincereag
In my opinion, Buzz is finding players that fit his culture, playing style and work ethic. They aren't 5 stars but they work hard and can develop into special players, like Q did last year. This year Buzz will have a full complement of players at all positions and it will be interesting to see who emerges as the starters and how Buzz manages playing time for all players who are ready to contribute. Lots of optimism, similar to how we felt about this football season. Last year, Buzz went with Marcus Williams as the lead guard until it was apparent it wasn't working and he made the necessary changes that worked. We'll see if Jimbo can do the same thing this year with his QB and offense to get the football team back on track.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aston04 said:

I like buzz. But the recruiting is average at best. Jimbo- the recruiting is incredible. The coaching is average at best (on offense at least) - defensive coaching was solid under elko.

If Buzz had the fan support and the NIL funds like Jimbo did our basketball recruiting would be top flight too. And I'd wager Buzz would get way more out of his talent than Jimbo does.
bobinator
AG
sincereag said:

Last year, Buzz went with Marcus Williams as the lead guard until it was apparent it wasn't working and he made the necessary changes that worked. We'll see if Jimbo can do the same thing this year with his QB and offense to get the football team back on track.
Buzz rode Marcus Williams for like three or four more games after it was apparent it wasn't working.

If Jimbo isn't quicker to change than Buzz was this whole place will be in flames in a few weeks.
greg.w.h
AG
bobinator said:

sincereag said:

Last year, Buzz went with Marcus Williams as the lead guard until it was apparent it wasn't working and he made the necessary changes that worked. We'll see if Jimbo can do the same thing this year with his QB and offense to get the football team back on track.
Buzz rode Marcus Williams for like three or four more games after it was apparent it wasn't working.

If Jimbo isn't quicker to change than Buzz was this whole place will be in flames in a few weeks.
Jimbo or Buzz droning through a presser after a bad game won't help either from now on. Political capital has been exhausted largely for both though the NIT run was FUN.

I recognize the school controls the pressers and publishes its own "perspective" when it doesn't want to expose itself to negative reporting. That just needs to be balanced with letting our fan base seethe sometimes and letting the media join that. Soothing it likely makes it worse, though we should note positives so it isn't pure negativity.

As a personal note: I feel TexAgs has done an excellent job in recent years of moderating its moderation patterns in a way that deals with bad behavior effectively while allowing the seething in public. Looch's commenting on the impromptu Loochador with Nuño after the App State game was excellent. Private media needs to express strong opinions but make them fact oriented so they aren't unhinged.

Hop here has also participated in discussions where he probably thinks we are all off our rockers, but he adds data and analysis that helps forward discussions and helps us talk with each other. I hope we all see the opportunity to continue doing that without losing our individual, dependable quirks!!!
frenchtoast
Life is short and watching sports can be fun if you don't take it too seriously. I'm excited for basketball (as always), and I'm still looking forward to the rest of the football season. If the win, great; if they lose, it sucks but so what. There's more to life than sports. I do understand the irony of posting this on texags.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I probably still take sports more seriously than I should but it's only a fraction of what it once was for me. It's MUCH closer to a healthy level these days. But I will admit that I am more invested in Buzz & Aggie hoops than I am Jimbo & the football program.
halfastros81
AG
The older I get the more I realize this as a truth. My mood doesn't change nearly as much as it used to following a big A& M sports disappointment but I've still got work to do on what I can control…. That being me.
GrayMatter
AG
Bittersweet ride last season under Buzz bc we were good enough to go to the dance. However, it was fun seeing us make it to the NIT Finals in NYC. If their style and level of play carries on to this season, we are in for a special season. We were playing at an elite level!

Not fair to compare Jimbo to Buzz. And I will say that one game does not make the season, but it does set the tone for the season which is not looking too good right about now. But in all fairness, Appalachian St is not Arky St.
zooguy96
I'm way more invested in BB than FB as evidenced by the number of posts on particular forums.

Buzz tends to be a little less arrogant (or, sounds less arrogant). When he screws up, he seems to acknowledge it, while Jimbo seems to keep on doing the same thing over and over and over.

Buzz just seems a little easier to relate to.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Hop
Staff
AG
greg.w.h said:

bobinator said:

sincereag said:

Jimbo or Buzz droning through a presser after a bad game won't help either from now on. Political capital has been exhausted largely for both though the NIT run was FUN.

I recognize the school controls the pressers and publishes its own "perspective" when it doesn't want to expose itself to negative reporting. That just needs to be balanced with letting our fan base seethe sometimes and letting the media join that. Soothing it likely makes it worse, though we should note positives so it isn't pure negativity.

As a personal note: I feel TexAgs has done an excellent job in recent years of moderating its moderation patterns in a way that deals with bad behavior effectively while allowing the seething in public. Looch's commenting on the impromptu Loochador with Nuño after the App State game was excellent. Private media needs to express strong opinions but make them fact oriented so they aren't unhinged.

Hop here has also participated in discussions where he probably thinks we are all off our rockers, but he adds data and analysis that helps forward discussions and helps us talk with each other. I hope we all see the opportunity to continue doing that without losing our individual, dependable quirks!!!

Where do I send the check, Greg?
Hop
Staff
AG
GrayMatter said:

Bittersweet ride last season under Buzz bc we were good enough to go to the dance. However, it was fun seeing us make it to the NIT Finals in NYC. If their style and level of play carries on to this season, we are in for a special season. We were playing at an elite level!

Not fair to compare Jimbo to Buzz. And I will say that one game does not make the season, but it does set the tone for the season which is not looking too good right about now. But in all fairness, Appalachian St is not Arky St.

I agree that you can't judge coaches of the three major sports with the same grading scale. Basketball is a distant third in support, history, and brand name.

Football and baseball expects to realistically and consistently compete as a Top 10 program because those programs get top 10 support. Sure, the ultimate goal for basketball is to compete for a national championship and it's possible if the stars align, but making the NCAA's is the realistic bar for basketball with an occasional Sweet 16 appearance. Like I said, maybe the stars will align for a magical run to the Final Four one of these days.

Know Your Enemy
AG
We were close in 2007. The missed GD layup that would have advanced us to the Elite Eight against Conley & Oden still hurts.
greg.w.h
AG
Hop said:

Where do I send the check, Greg?
Ha!! Just STACK it up over there…
Anchorhold

brb.... gotta go shoot some free throws in my drive way real quick
Pumpkinhead
AG
Heard it took 12 takes before Radford made that free throw….

I kid, I kid, …
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.