Roster up

4,019 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fat girlfriend
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We already knew the roster based off the poster, but now officially official.

First thing I notice is Ashton Smith is massive at 270

https://12thman.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
bobinator
AG
Dammit you got me by a few seconds!
MarcAg
AG
Radford dropped 5 pounds. Buzz mentioned he looks more athletic thanks to a new diet.

Henry looks slimmer, but shows he put on 2 lbs. Might just be better weight
bobinator
AG
I just think it's wild we're gonna have so many people on the roster. I bet practices are going to be intense this season.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

I just think it's wild we're gonna have so many people on the roster. I bet practices are going to be intense this season.
We had that many people on the roster last year. It's not the numbers, its the quality of the roster.
bobinator
AG
I mean... yeah... you know what I meant.
frenchtoast
There are going to be a few people unhappy with some of the returners.
bobinator
AG
I'd hope that nobody is unhappy that people are on the team. It's one thing if it's a numbers game and we're trying to guess who's going to be left out, but if we're able to carry 18 scholarship players or whatever then it seems weird to be upset that someone is still here.

Related, saw this article earlier.

Gonna be a fun year.
taylorswift13
AG
So much depth… we're pressing and switching on everyone all game long… #GetBetter
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

if we're able to carry 18 scholarship players or whatever then it seems weird to be upset that someone is still here.

I assume one or two of those are not on scholarship, but what is the explanation behind so many guys on the roster? Transfers relying on the extra covid year don't count against the 13 man cap?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Really some crazy games at the church before the season.
bobinator
AG
Originally I thought they only didn't count against their original school but it has to be something like that.
DukeMu
Roster Release Date.
DukeMu
taylorswift13 said:

So much depth… we're pressing and switching on everyone all game long… #GetBetter
40 minutes of Hell.
Hop
Staff
AG
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

if we're able to carry 18 scholarship players or whatever then it seems weird to be upset that someone is still here.

I assume one or two of those are not on scholarship, but what is the explanation behind so many guys on the roster? Transfers relying on the extra covid year don't count against the 13 man cap?

Yes, anybody affected by the year "lost" to Covid in 2021 gets an extra year and those grads/transfers don't count against the 13 scholly spots.

So you have the 13 that count, plus grads Ethan Henderson and Dexter Dennis. Then the staff added two preferred walk-ons that are scholarship player quality - Jordan Williams, Jaelyn Lee. That's 17. Then there is a traditional walk-on - Watkins. That's 18.
Texagsubscriber
Zach Walker lost his spot after that viral rec video.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Chances Buzz can earn 2 bids to NCAAT this season fielding a Team A and Team B?
sincereag
With so many good players vying for PT, building team chemistry and finding the right combinations will be highly important. Last year, we relied on Q for offense. Now we can spread the wealth and attack the defense in multiple ways.
taylorswift13
AG
DukeMu said:

taylorswift13 said:

40 minutes of Hell.
MOTHER IN LAW DEFENSE
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looking at the pics we have to be a contender for Best Hair Team in the country.
bobinator
AG
This year we're going to have sister-in-law defense. That's when you're swapping guys in and out so much that nobody can remember them. Like when your wife's sister brings various boyfriends around and you can't remember who they are.
txag72
AG
geez, so much optimism!! Must be pre-season!
taylorswift13
AG
Put that on a t-shirt Buzz
Expert Analysis
AG
PG and perimeter shooting are concerns
DeangeloVickers
AG
Expert Analysis said:

We were better last year when Q started playing point
bobinator
AG
I think saying that Q was playing point is a bit inaccurate. I think it's probably more accurate to say that we stopped playing with a point guard.

For a football comparison, we went from playing something like a spread where the quarterback is orchestrating the offense and has all of these options to more of like a power I where he's only making one or two decisions at most.

That's maybe semantics, but I think it's an important distinction when you're talking about this season.

I think Radford can do what Q was doing, he's probably even better at it than Q was, but to be a really good offense we need Wade Taylor (or maybe Manny O) to be a lot better than he was in the back half of the season. We need guys who can set the table and create mismatches not just for themselves, but can see the mismatches for other people also and think one or two passes away.

MarcAg
AG
I think we will play the same way this year. You will see a lot of guys bringing the ball up and a lot of guys initiating the offense in the half court. They are going to really study the other teams and find the weak spots and adjust the spots on the court to most exploit them.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I think that's a safe bet. But I think that's the difference between this team being good versus being a team that maybe competes for a conference championship or something.

Luckily in college basketball you get a thousand timeouts and 84 media timeouts so your coach can do a lot of the adjusting, but not having that guy on the floor that can do it is potentially an issue. I don't know that we'll have the on-floor creativity or ability to adjust when things aren't going well against good teams.
Expert Analysis
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Expert Analysis said:

We were better last year when Q started playing point
That's sort of my concern. Q is gone.
PG or primary ball handler, whoever is taking it up needs to be better than we were for most of last season. Wade is the only returner who was PG most of the time. He was great at times and not so great at others. Much like his shooting.
I think both Manny and Boots have some good one on one skills but they would need to get others involved. I think our bigs will be improved this season so if we can utilize them it should help open up the perimeter and dribble drive.
Topher17
AG
This roster is going to have a ton of versatility as far as what we can throw at opponents, especially defensively. It should be a lot of fun to watch.
Hopefully no one is set on playing a certain number of minutes, because that's a lot of guys for a limited amount of minutes.
MarcAg
AG
Topher17 said:

Hopefully no one is set on playing a certain number of minutes, because that's a lot of guys for a limited amount of minutes.
If you are winning it will be fine. If you are not winning, then it becomes a problem.
jigsaw87
DTP02
AG
bobinator said:

I think saying that Q was playing point is a bit inaccurate. I think it's probably more accurate to say that we stopped playing with a point guard.

For a football comparison, we went from playing something like a spread where the quarterback is orchestrating the offense and has all of these options to more of like a power I where he's only making one or two decisions at most.

That's maybe semantics, but I think it's an important distinction when you're talking about this season.

I think Radford can do what Q was doing, he's probably even better at it than Q was,
Quote:

but to be a really good offense we need Wade Taylor (or maybe Manny O) to be a lot better than he was in the back half of the season.
We need guys who can set the table and create mismatches not just for themselves, but can see the mismatches for other people also and think one or two passes away.

Need to include KK in that group. He's got a real chance to get as many or more minutes than Wade or Gordon and is as suited for PG as either.

But we will have other ways to make it work in the half court. MO has shown the ability to find people when he gets the ball inside the arc. We also will have a legit low post scorer in Marble.
fat girlfriend
Expert Analysis said:

That's a solid analysis, but, let's be honest, it's a little short of what you advertised.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.