Head coach Brian Barone

5,525 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wrecking Crew 21
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't know this, but he's been the head coach at SIU-Edwardsville for three years. Terrible overall record of 28-61. To be fair, they haven't had a winning season since 2007-08 when they moved up from Division II.
Method Man
Average pick up player
Matsui
AG
Cool. Thanks for the professional coaching update.
Gump 02
AG
Tell me why I should care.
aggieeducator
AG
Thanks for sharing, I remember him well…nice guy. Still hard to believe that his Dad was a PG for Duke.
rlb28
AG
Gump 02 said:

Tell me why I should care.

Played at A&M and his dad coached the Ags. Not sure if ur trolling or not?!?!?
greg.w.h
AG
Brian Baloney…amirite MM???
Method Man
Try to have a modicum of respect.
greg.w.h
AG
Funny coming from you, but okay.
D_Wag97
AG
Does he wear a coat and tie to the games and then then rip them off when things get tense? Used to watch Tony during the games and take bets on when this would happen.
frenchtoast
Good for Brian. He was always a hustler. I see Tony Jr. has a job with the NCAA.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Modicom of respect, but calling him an average pickup player. That's definitely not true. He was now a D1 player although he played, and was occasionally somewhat effective, but that puts him head and should above average in a pickup game.
Method Man
Did you ever play against him in a pickup game?
Method Man
Joking
GrayMatter
AG
From what I can remember, he played really good D, but couldn't shoot.

Does that sound about right?
94chem
GrayMatter said:

Floor burn guy who could start a lot of places, and be a valuable backup at others. Transferred to Marquette and finished his career there after dad got fired from A&M. He was one of our best players (unfortunately) when his dad got canned, and everyone wanted him to stay at A&M. Would have been a good backup to Clifton Cook during Melvin's first season.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

Joking
I was? Oh yeah…me, too…
jphelmet
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Modicom of respect, but calling him an average pickup player. That's definitely not true. He was now a D1 player although he played, and was occasionally somewhat effective, but that puts him head and should above average in a pickup game.

But somehow wasn't. Nepotism is a very real thing.
Method Man
If you play pickup with a college player and can't tell they're a college player what does that say? Don't say he's not trying.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

If you play pickup with a college player and can't tell they're a college player what does that say? Don't say he's not trying.

It means you don't know basketball.
Hop
Staff
AG
Y'all are bickering over a now 45 year-old man who coaches at a small school in Illinois. Is it worth it?
Method Man
I think I do. I'm not great at all and never was but I've played against college and nba players and they immediately stand out on the court.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

I think I do. I'm not great at all and never was but I've played against college and nba players and they immediately stand out on the court.

You realize I was joking, right?
greg.w.h
AG
Hop said:

Y'all are bickering over a now 45 year-old man who coaches at a small school in Illinois. Is it worth it?
No news Friday!!!
Method Man
No. Hop threw me off by being serious.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
94chem said:

GrayMatter said:

Floor burn guy who could start a lot of places, and be a valuable backup at others. Transferred to Marquette and finished his career there after dad got fired from A&M. He was one of our best players (unfortunately) when his dad got canned, and everyone wanted him to stay at A&M. Would have been a good backup to Clifton Cook during Melvin's first season.

I sure don't remember people wanting him to stay. His loss was very insignificant. A guy that averaged 2.5 ppg. He did average 4 assists but also 2 TO
94chem
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

94chem said:

GrayMatter said:

I sure don't remember people wanting him to stay. His loss was very insignificant. A guy that averaged 2.5 ppg. He did average 4 assists but also 2 TO

I think we were 1-13 in conference play. Hth.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
war hymn aggie
AG
Consol kid if I'm not mistaken.

Both he & another Consol grad Alex Caruso were a joy to watch @ A&M with their defensive intensity. Didn't BB damage a scorer's table while at A&M by diving into it while trying to get a loose ball?

Hope he finds better success in year 4.
aggie-1997
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Does he wear a coat and tie to the games and then then rip them off when things get tense? Used to watch Tony during the games and take bets on when this would happen.
He was definitely one of a kind. I can remember several games where the coat and tie were off before we finished warm-ups. He would have sweat pouring down his face and sitting on the floor in front of the bench and we haven't even tipped off.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Occasionally I'd wander into G. Rollie and watch Tony conduct practice between classes. Those were some fun experiences. For me, probably not the players so much.
Hop
Staff
AG
Speaking of undersized midwest point guards in the Barone era, anybody looking for a $1.07 baseball card of Kyle Kessel?
WallyWonka
AG
aggie-1997 said:

D_Wag97 said:

He was definitely one of a kind. I can remember several games where the coat and tie were off before we finished warm-ups. He would have sweat pouring down his face and sitting on the floor in front of the bench and we haven't even tipped off.

Hey!!! Take your tie and jacket off!!!!

Wrecking Crew 21
He was entertaining!
Aggie 63
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.