Notes from Buzz

5,564 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tailgate88
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buzz spoke at the TexAgs kickoff. I took some notes. In Buzz fashion he talked a lot and was all over the play.
Not a lot on individual players.

Pretty much all individual work in the summer. Each player has a plan on what we need to improve on with them and that's the whole summer.

Talked about his defense which is called "Seattle 3". Since season ended they have studied every defensive possession against the high major teams. Seeing what tweaks we need to make. Focus on what we did that was bad defensively and improve those significantly while slightly improving the things we already did great.

Boots is leaner. Taking diet seriously. Body fat decreasing. Looks more like an athlete

Hefner increased muscle.

New guys have been caught off guard at how close this team is and how together we are

Robinson- 3 years of eligibility. Mentioned he didn't play at Arkansas.

Garcia - 3 years. Mentioned he played really well vs us.

Marble- 2 years. Mentioned he is from Dallas and was really good player in HS.

Dennis- Had a 200 hour internship for his degree tgat kept him from joining team earlier. He can't participate yet, but is here watching. He's spending his own dime to be here right now and watch practice.

Washington- "Very high ceiling. He's good. I like him. I try not build guys up though" and then he laughs. He lit up talking about him.

Pratt - "good player, not a great player". Can be a great though. Needs time to adjust to this level of basketball.

He can't tell recruits and families who's going to be on the roster and what recruiting looks like because of Covid years and the transfer portal. Some guys might stay an extra year. Then some guys might want to stay an extra year, but their coach might not want them to. Too many variables to tell kids how many HS kids and how many portal kids we are going to recruit. Constantly signing half a team each offseason is not sustainable to succeed. We have to get to a point where guys want to stay and we want guys to stay.

Transfer portal changes every year with the rules. Now a kid can transfer every year if he wants. NIL changes too constantly.

We are better rebounding now and that will help our defense. Too many times we ruined a good possession by not getting a rebound.

He called his offense they switched to mid season last year "a middle school offense on steroids". Made it very basic so each player knew how to play each position on the court and what to do when playing that position. Said we need remnants of that offense, but we need to spruce it up and make the players still think we are still running this basic offense

No NIL for Aggie basketball last year.
"To act like it's not part of athletics is foolish." So they have done a lot of studying around it. Said the market is higher for basketball than football because less players.

He's never received any outside income or gifts while he has been a head coach. He has friends in clothing industry and he has people trying to give him free clothes all the time and nice suits and he won't take them unless he can pay for them . Said he doesn't have any hobbies outside of basketball and the closest thing to a hobby he has is being into clothes.

Talked about Frank Beamer and how big he was in VT. Talked about having a basketball program at a school where football is king. He said there have only been 3 basketball coaches at A&M that haven't been fired and that's not a good stat. He said if you want to be a basketball school where football is king, the best way to do that is get the support of the football program. He goes to every football game and goes to as many football events he can. He said if we can just get 10% of the football base to come to basketball then we are in great shape.
wacarnolds
AG
Thanks for the write up
AggieTFA06
AG
Thank you for the writeup MarcAg.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Method Man
Marc, did he comment on one of our walkons getting crossed up by a rec player?
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

Marc, did he comment on one of our walkons getting crossed up by a rec player?

He said it will be a quote shirt next season. "Don't embarrass the brand on YouTube".
Know Your Enemy
AG
Thanks for the notes!
Hop
Staff
AG
He basically confirmed what we figured was happening w the roster….you can expand your roster past 13 with Covid players and that will still be in place until every player filters through in 2025.
Anchorhold
Is reading not a hobby?
MikesFamousJava
AG
I'd guess he considers reading more of a basic life habit than a hobby…kind of like brushing your teeth.
halfastros81
AG
The way the Ags finished the year that middle school offense on steroids wasn't too bad although obviously were a team that scored off of our defense .

Count me in as really looking forward to basketball season.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

Thank you for the writeup MarcAg.

+1
jcobb40
AG
MarcAg said:

Buzz spoke at the TexAgs kickoff. I took some notes. In Buzz fashion he talked a lot and was all over the play.
Not a lot on individual players.

Pretty much all individual work in the summer. Each player has a plan on what we need to improve on with them and that's the whole summer.

Talked about his defense which is called "Seattle 3". Since season ended they have studied every defensive possession against the high major teams. Seeing what tweaks we need to make. Focus on what we did that was bad defensively and improve those significantly while slightly improving the things we already did great.

Boots is leaner. Taking diet seriously. Body fat decreasing. Looks more like an athlete

Hefner increased muscle.

New guys have been caught off guard at how close this team is and how together we are

Robinson- 3 years of eligibility. Mentioned he didn't play at Arkansas.

Garcia - 3 years. Mentioned he played really well vs us.

Marble- 2 years. Mentioned he is from Dallas and was really good player in HS.

Dennis- Had a 200 hour internship for his degree tgat kept him from joining team earlier. He can't participate yet, but is here watching. He's spending his own dime to be here right now and watch practice.

Washington- "Very high ceiling. He's good. I like him. I try not build guys up though" and then he laughs. He lit up talking about him.

Pratt - "good player, not a great player". Can be a great though. Needs time to adjust to this level of basketball.

He can't tell recruits and families who's going to be on the roster and what recruiting looks like because of Covid years and the transfer portal. Some guys might stay an extra year. Then some guys might want to stay an extra year, but their coach might not want them to. Too many variables to tell kids how many HS kids and how many portal kids we are going to recruit. Constantly signing half a team each offseason is not sustainable to succeed. We have to get to a point where guys want to stay and we want guys to stay.

Transfer portal changes every year with the rules. Now a kid can transfer every year if he wants. NIL changes too constantly.

We are better rebounding now and that will help our defense. Too many times we ruined a good possession by not getting a rebound.

He called his offense they switched to mid season last year "a middle school offense on steroids". Made it very basic so each player knew how to play each position on the court and what to do when playing that position. Said we need remnants of that offense, but we need to spruce it up and make the players still think we are still running this basic offense

No NIL for Aggie basketball last year.
"To act like it's not part of athletics is foolish." So they have done a lot of studying around it. Said the market is higher for basketball than football because less players.

He's never received any outside income or gifts while he has been a head coach. He has friends in clothing industry and he has people trying to give him free clothes all the time and nice suits and he won't take them unless he can pay for them . Said he doesn't have any hobbies outside of basketball and the closest thing to a hobby he has is being into clothes.

Talked about Frank Beamer and how big he was in VT. Talked about having a basketball program at a school where football is king. He said there have only been 3 basketball coaches at A&M that haven't been fired and that's not a good stat. He said if you want to be a basketball school where football is king, the best way to do that is get the support of the football program. He goes to every football game and goes to as many football events he can. He said if we can just get 10% of the football base to come to basketball then we are in great shape.
MarcAg- just want to repeat what others said, thank you for the fantastic writeup. Really love Buz and what he is trying to grow here.
bobinator
AG
Good write up. Thanks man.

Meant to reply to Marc, not Hop. I guess your post is fine too Hop.
GrayMatter
AG
Thanks for the write up.

Ankles? Subway?
Know Your Enemy
AG
GrayMatter said:

Thanks for the write up.

Ankles? Subway?

Just a guess but are you over 60?
LPCAg
AG
nvm
frenchtoast
Thanks, Marc! I'm looking forward to the season as well.
BQ_90
AG
How does a HC stop a player from NIL, I'd didn't understand that part. I thought some players where interviewed by Texags as part of the stacked nil
Know Your Enemy
AG
BQ_90 said:

How does a HC stop a player from NIL, I'd didn't understand that part. I thought some players where interviewed by Texags as part of the stacked nil

Where did he say he was going to stop it?
Anchorhold
Is there any rule that the coach or school have to know about NILs?
greg.w.h
AG
Anchorhold said:

Is there any rule that the coach or school have to know about NILs?
In Texas there is law that requires it. Since the NCAA isn't currently enforcing rules…
BQ_90
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

BQ_90 said:

He said no player had NIL last year. To me that is stopping it. I find it hard that one player couldn't get NIL if they wanted?
LawHall88
AG
Topher17
AG
BQ_90 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

BQ_90 said:

He said no player had NIL last year. To me that is stopping it. I find it hard that one player couldn't get NIL if they wanted?

An A&M basketball team with no huge stars that 80% of the fanbase paid no attention to, or wrote off mid-season, before the late season run…I don't find it too hard to believe. Especially considering it was the first year and most of our donors are likely singularly focused on football.

I would expect that to change this year with the name ID Boots and Coleman will have.
BQ_90
AG
Topher17 said:

BQ_90 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

BQ_90 said:

An A&M basketball team with no huge stars that 80% of the fanbase paid no attention to, or wrote off mid-season, before the late season run…I don't find it too hard to believe. Especially considering it was the first year and most of our donors are likely singularly focused on football.

I would expect that to change this year with the name ID Boots and Coleman will have.
We have tennis players, softball players etc getting NIL; again I'm not part of stacked, I was also wondering if TexAgs did any NIL with MBB players, if not, why not????
greg.w.h
AG
I think asking for Stacked NIL to be directed should probably be done in terms of joining stacked, then asking about specific content that interests you or others that student athletes can participate in.

If you were an agent for a player you might be able to contact TexAgs and ask what kind of things they are doing with student athletes and see if your client fit their portfolio. So far it's mostly athletes with decent name recognition and mostly football. But I'm not sure how much supports appearances in podcasts.
Double Diamond
Thanks. Great read.
BQ_90
AG
looking back they have done stacked interviews with just about every sport. so then I'm still confused about NIL and MBB since they have been paid for NIL to do stacked interviews
greg.w.h
AG
If they are doing what they said they were going to do, the stacked contributions flow one for one in abd then out the door. I don't know if you can query on who is stacked or not or the tag, but you might be able to approximate the number of dollars coming in by some method like that.

That is being disbursed to in effect buy the attention to their product of potential subscribers based on the prospective subscribers' interest in this new content channel (plus a badge.)

I sense you believe there is a different mechanism for disbursing funds than that?
BQ_90
AG
I don't give a **** what stacked is doing, I'm more interested at what Buzz meant we he said MBB didn't have NIL last year.
jcobb40
AG
I'll try to confirm this, but I think he was meaning team wise as a whole. From what I understand Buzz is trying to find a team wide sponsor with equal distributions to all players.

greg.w.h
AG
BQ_90 said:

I don't give a **** what stacked is doing, I'm more interested at what Buzz meant we he said MBB didn't have NIL last year.
You mentioned stacked…I doubt Buzz can do anything without breaking the law. And I suspect he is fully aware of it as is Jimbo. Which is why Jimbo is lobbying for unifying the rules.
BQ_90
AG
jcobb40 said:

I'll try to confirm this, but I think he was meaning team wise as a whole. From what I understand Buzz is trying to find a team wide sponsor with equal distributions to all players.

Now that makes sense
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
Great stuff, thanks for writing. One question ... Boots is leaner? As in lost some fat? I don't know how it's possible for a guard who played as much as he did and probably runs his rear end off each day in practice to carry extra weight. I mean Barkley and Shaq carried extra weight, ok. But a guard?

Now that I think about it, Mateen Cleaves always looked a little heavy to me.
Rocinante
You can get leaner by losing muscle mass too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.