SEC/Big12 Challenge Schedule

3,629 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bularry
TexAg1822
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it normal for us to skip this two years in a row? I thought it was an every other year rotation
Captn_Ag05
AG
We got Sankey'd.
TXAggie2011
AG
Georgia, South Carolina and Vanderbilt haven't played in this in like 3 seasons
gstu11
Two year cycle. We have a home and home with Tulane in the SEC/AAC thing. Last years home game got COVID canceled but we still have to play the return game this year. Don't see any way we're not in the big 12/SEC challenge next year.
t - cam
AG
This blows. We should be in it every year. It's our old conference.
TXAggie2011
AG
t - cam said:

We should try harder than I think we currently do, to schedule more Big 12 schools.

Goes for a lot of sports.
miller0926
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

t - cam said:

We should try harder than I think we currently do, to schedule more Big 12 schools.

No for football. An astounding yes for basketball.

I got ripped on premium for saying the same reason why Texas needs us for football, was why we needed them for basketball pre-2018. We had Kentucky, and nothing else, and that led to a ****ty atmosphere for every game but the Kentucky game.
greg.w.h
AG
t - cam said:

We have to not suck. Will be interesting if it continues after 2025 when we have 16 and they have 12. But 2023-2024 and 2024-2025 should be 14 games.
Tobias Funke
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

t - cam said:

I don't know why people have the perception that we aren't "trying hard enough" to do certain things. Unless you work for the athletic department, I have a feeling you have very little idea how this all goes down
West Point Aggie
AG
Ehhh…not sure why people get worked up over not playing a b12 team…other than tu and maybe tech or the baptists (who have been good as of late) any other b12 matchup is boring (even KU)…the b12 is boring…their programs and fan bases (sans those three mentioned) do not get most Ags pumped.

Let it go
miller0926
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Ehhh…not sure why people get worked up over not playing a b12 team…other than tu and maybe tech or the baptists (who have been good as of late) any other b12 matchup is boring (even KU)…the b12 is boring…their programs and fan bases (sans those three mentioned) do not get most Ags pumped.

Let it go
Every single team in the Big 12 would generate more excitement than Oregon St.
Proposition Joe
Yup.

It's not that "we really want to play the B12"... It's that we don't want to play the bottom rung of the PAC 12 or Big East as our marquee non-conference matchup.
monarch
S
The BIG XII plays great basketball maybe as good if not better than the SEC.
Peace for Ukraine!
bobinator
AG
It's definitely better.
AGFEVER
The Big Xii plays much better basketball than the SEC. That may not last...but as hard as this is to admit...they are playing the best basketball in America right now.
frenchtoast
Basketball is the only thing I miss about the Big XII. It's still hard for me to get up for games against Ole Miss, Alabama, Mississippi State, etc. Not having games against Baylor, Texas & Tech hasn't helped attendance. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
greg.w.h
AG
frenchtoast said:

Basketball is the only thing I miss about the Big XII. It's still hard for me to get up for games against Ole Miss, Alabama, Mississippi State, etc. Not having games against Baylor, Texas & Tech hasn't helped attendance. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Not winning is probably a bigger deal. I actually do think the one thing that we stepped down on is basketball (so I agree), but I've paid attention to the collaboration between the conference office and the schools to address it strategically and things are better. But the conference has further to go.

I get the feeling that ESPN has suggested basketball is low-hanging fruit with respect to added revenue especially for the SECN and incremental ESPN+ revenue.. But I think it is much slower than envisioned or perhaps more accurately it is not the consistency of excellence that seemed possible when this strategy emerged.
bobinator
AG
Why is this hard to admit? It's been true more often than not for like ten years.

Next year should be a good year for the SEC though.
AggieTFA06
AG
greg.w.h said:

frenchtoast said:

Not winning is probably a bigger deal. I actually do think the one thing that we stepped down on is basketball (so I agree), but I've paid attention to the collaboration between the conference office and the schools to address it strategically and things are better. But the conference has further to go.

I get the feeling that ESPN has suggested basketball is low-hanging fruit with respect to added revenue especially for the SECN and incremental ESPN+ revenue.. But I think it is much slower than envisioned or perhaps more accurately it is not the consistency of excellence that seemed possible when this strategy emerged.
Agreed that not winning is a bigger deal. Unfortunately, most of our history in the SEC is the Billy Kennedy era which only gave us 2 NCAA tournament teams but lots of embarrassment.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not going to rag on an already terminated coach. We have plenty of mediocre roundball history as a school. I think we need a better leadership approach than ignoring basketball as often happened. Largely it will be driven by a combination of fan turnout (arguably especially current students to keep the mission of the university in sight) and great ideas for marketing. Donations are always needed to pay the freight, too.

I'm excited about even the ups and the response to challenges. But I really don't enjoy inconsistency when I can't make sense of why. Here's to solving for that!!!
bularry
frenchtoast said:

there were some fun mid week games back in the day of Big XII with A&M
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.