Story Poster
Photo by Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Basketball

Arkansas transfer Khalen "KK" Robinson commits to Texas A&M hoops

May 8, 2022

For the second straight year, the Texas A&M basketball program has added an Arkansas Razorback transfer.

Last year, Buzz Williams snagged Ethan Henderson out of the portal from Eric Mussleman's team.

This offseason, Buzz and company have gone back to the well and added Khalen “KK” Robinson, a perimeter player with three years of eligibility remaining who decided to leave the Razorback program just one month ago.

The guard becomes the third transfer to join Buzz Williams’ program in the last two weeks.

Robinson is coming to Aggieland after an injury-riddled two years with the Hogs.

His freshman year started strong with a 15-point game in his first outing as a Razorback, but as he tried to fight through a number of small injuries, foot surgery ultimately cut his first year short and sidelined the up-and-coming guard for most of the year.

After rehabbing and battling back, the Razorbacks had high hopes for Robinson's sophomore campaign. However, another injury before the season began limited his participation throughout the entire year.

Now, the Little Rock native and former four-star recruit has found a new home with the Aggies and looks to build on the hype and talent surrounding his high school career. Robinson chose Arkansas over the likes of Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Texas Tech, but he has yet to showcase his skills at the collegiate level.

After watching some of his games from Arkansas, Robinson seems to be a player that can not only find an open teammate but can also knock down an open shot. He is always ready to catch and shoot from behind the 3-point line and has a very quick release to get his shot off. He likes to push the ball in transition, but he doesn't force the action and makes the simple pass to open teammates.

I really like his decision-making, and after watching video, I can see how Robinson could possibly become a floor general on the court.

I'm not sure how much of a leader he is when it comes to crunch time and valuable possessions, but in the open court, Robinson definitely makes the right decision more often than not.

The addition of KK Robinson and his skill set is yet another area of much-needed improvement for the Aggies.

Buzz Williams has been searching for a guard to be able to rely on and lead the Maroon & White on the court. Someone who is capable of getting people in the right position and executing a play.

From his high school video and what he has done at Arkansas, it looks as if the Aggies have found the type of player they were looking for in KK Robinson.

Discussion from...

Arkansas transfer Khalen "KK" Robinson commits to Texas A&M hoops

14,961 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HogsSmellGood
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hope he is healthy and can stay healthy. Thanks for the post!!
cageybee77
cs69ag
AG
Nothing posted re his height and weight
AggieShanks
AG
Um. I'm really worried about scholarship limits. And who we are potentially losing as a result.
cs69ag
AG
I think Robinson gives us the total and limit of 15
Amarillo Slim
AG
So who else is leaving to make room?
AggieShanks
AG
So, we have 2 freshman recruits, 4 transfers coming in.

We've only lost diarra and Q? And even if you include Henderson, that's still 1 over.
cs69ag
AG
oops...we can only have 13 scholarships for the men...women can have 15
cs69ag
AG
Lost Williams too
sincereag
Interesting transfer, similar to Henderson last year. Wasn't getting much playing time at Arky but was limited due to injuries and their guard depth. Was a highly recruited guard out of hs, and maybe a change will benefit him.
AggieShanks
AG
True. I was looking at the roster online. Maybe some of these guys will be Off-scholarship guys. But I know the initial conversation before we lost Diarra was that we need spots for the 3 guys that we had coming in already. Then we just added 3 more transfers.
wtr1975
AG
6"0" 175 according to 247
cs69ag
AG
found him on line. He is supposed to be 6'0 180 lbs
Method Man
He's 177.
aggies1960
Saw him at Subway. 178
Krondaddy
What if some signees/transfers get full rides thru NIL and aren't even on scholly? Surely that's a possibility??
skaggsjw
AG
Gap
AG
I looked to see how he did against us as we played Arkansas three times this year.

In the first two games which were tight games, he played a total of 1 minute and put up no stats except a foul.

In the SEC tournament blowout, he came in with 3:23 to go and us up by 19 points and scored 5 points in junk time.

I am excited to see us add a guy at a position of need but not sure what to think as I don't think Arkansas had plans for him in their future.
Coward Jimbo
AG
Hoping gordon is on the way out
agtrevino07
AG
Savior Jimbo said:

I hope we keep Gordon. Before his injury... He proved to be disciplined and play within the system. For me this addition is a head scratcher since it will take minutes away from Wade Taylor... They are basically twins.
FTAG 2000
AG
We really needed to add another impact player on the perimeter via the portal. This feels underwhelming.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I love when people only look at stats and then get sad about adding a player.
FTAG 2000
AG
Why do you assume we only look at stats?

Stats matter absolutely, but what gave our team the most problems this year? Big teams with length and height on the perimeter.

Hard for me to get excited about adding a 6'0" beanpole out top when our competition in the west continues to get bigger on the perimeter.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

Hard for me to get excited about adding a 6'0" beanpole out top when our competition in the west continues to get bigger on the perimeter.
MEH. imo, the height of a guard rarely matters. So many more important things like quickness, speed, shooting %, playmaking ability, etc...
DTP02
AG
agtrevino07 said:

Savior Jimbo said:

I hope we keep Gordon. Before his injury... He proved to be disciplined and play within the system. For me this addition is a head scratcher since it will take minutes away from Wade Taylor... They are basically twins.

There are significant differences other than size. Even physically, KK is longer and more explosive. KK also has more of a PG feel and should be a consistent perimeter threat on pull-ups and kick outs. 4 may develop into a consistent outside shooter, but he's not there yet, and is definitely much more of a scorer than a facilitator, where KK is more of an even mix. He's also more aggressive defending than 4, although 4 showed some flashes of plus defense.

KK is a good add with the potential to be an outstanding add. We're buying low on him for sure.
DTP02
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

We really needed to add another impact player on the perimeter via the portal. This feels underwhelming.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. A lot more excitement about this addition in our program than you would think by much of the fan reaction.
FTAG 2000
AG
DTP02 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. A lot more excitement about this addition in our program than you would think by much of the fan reaction.
Happy to hear that.

Wasn't able to find a lot of highlights to get excited about.

In Buzz we trust.
Aston04
AG
I know Arkansas is recruiting lights out (so they may pawn off some good players), but still discouraging that's our best option via the portal.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If he's fully healthy, this looks like a really good addition.
AR Ag
AG
He used to play on my brother's AAU team. If I hadn't seen him in person, I would be worried because Arkansas rarely used him, but he is very underrated. This was a really good pickup from Buzz and I'm so excited he's an Aggie!
EliteZags
AG
wash trade for Jaxson Robinson?
Coward Jimbo
AG
agtrevino07 said:

Savior Jimbo said:

I didn't know Gordon was playing hurt this year
agtrevino07
AG
Savior Jimbo said:

agtrevino07 said:

Savior Jimbo said:

I didn't know Gordon was playing hurt this year

Yes, got hurt before the Bama game in Tuscaloosa.
jigsaw87
wacarnolds
AG
Khalen has a couple younger brothers that may be worth keeping an eye on. Khasen will be a senior this year and Kellen, who some think is the best of all the brothers and already has some high D1 offers, will be a sophomore.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.