Memphis Trip Recs

1,863 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bullpen Chias
TexAg1822
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Setting up a visit to Memphis the weekend of Dec. 17 for the game. Any recommendations, tips, best places to stay?
bobinator
AG
stay at the Bass Pro Shops pyramid
TexAg1822
bobinator
AG
I've stayed there a couple of times for football and had a good time kind of just walking around and seeing what was going on.
TexAg1822
AG
Ah damn, didn't realize they had the lodge. Thanks for that, i'll look into it for sure
bobinator
AG
Sorry, I meant that I stayed in Memphis a couple of times and was walking around downtown. I was kidding about the Bass Pro Shops, but do know they do have some kind of lodge there.

I realize that was confusingly worded. To be clear, I did not stay and just wander around the Bass Pro Shops the whole time. I'm a weird guy for sure but not that weird.

I can't remember where we stayed when we were there though.

I remember Gus' Fried Chicken being worth the trip (thought hey have franchises in other places now) there. Rendezvous was good but not sure it's *that* good. We had breakfast at Sunrise and that place was good for sure.

Beale Street is more or less exactly what you think it's going to be but I think you can do a walkin' beer so that part's cool.

gstu11
I thought Bob was joking but it's actually pretty cool. They have a couple of restaurants with one up in the roof overlooking the city. Also there is a bowling alley in there too. My only question is after the store closes how do they keep people in the rooms from just walking around the showroom floor all night.
mikesyracuse1
I remember attending the ncaa tournament in that pyramid. I guess I'll show up this time to catch bass and buy some camping gear.

Mikesyracuse1
DTP02
AG
I stayed at the Bass Pro Shops pyramid with my family on way back from trip to watch A&M play Georgia in Athens in 2019.

The rooms are nice, very well done high end lodge type feel and quality finish. The views of the Bass Pro "swamp" from your balcony are pretty cool too. To whoever asked, there is a separate elevator to the rooms so you can't just wander around the store at night, unfortunately. Observation deck at top of pyramid is cool. You don't have to stay there to check it out.

I would definitely recommend it for a nice, comfortable, unique place to stay. It's about a 5 min drive to Beale Street.

The iconic place to stay in Memphis is the Peabody. It's a little too elegant for a family trip IMO, but you should plan a stop to watch the famous Peabody duck March, which happens twice a day. Great location for walking to things; right next to Beale.

On Beale, we liked BB King's as a place to eat some good Memphis Q while listening to live Blues. Highly recommend.

The Beale street entertainment district is pretty short, so you can wander around and check it all out in one night.

Across Beale from BB King's is a place called Blues City Cafe. If you're in the area for lunch, drop in and try the Gumbo Fries. You read it right: Gumbo Fries.

Two places you'll hear a lot about are Rendezvous Ribs and Silky O' Sullivan's. Silky's is a lively bar on Beale which will remind you of Pat O's. They do have solid food options as well.

Rendezvous is the iconic rib joint just off Beale. It gets somewhat mixed reviews and we didn't make it there, but is definitely a thing to do in Memphis. Gus's Fried Chicken is another well known Memphis stop.
uujm
I stayed at the Peabody for a couple weeks last January. Nice hotel but food isn't great. But plenty of places you can walk to(during the day).
greentab81
AG
Our daughter lived in Memphis for several years. A few of our favorites were Huey's for hamburgers and the Bar-B~Q Shop for some of the best ribs we ever had. Soul Fish Cafe is really good too. We had nice dinners at Iris and at Flight. I recommend them both. We spent a lot of time at Wiseacre Brewery also. The Peabody is a nice place to stay if you want something unique and historical. See the duck parade there.
bigdog1
Agree with greentab. Was in Memphis a few years ago. I think two of the meals I enjoyed the most were Huey's and The Flying Fish both on 2nd street just off Beale. Also liked Blues City Cafe and Arcade for a good breakfast. Really enjoyed tour of Sun Record Studios. Our tour guide was awesome.
12thMan9
AG
Not a mention of Corky's BBQ? Hmmmm

There are a lot near the university as well, especially going east on Poplar. Also east of 240 there are hotels/restaurants.
rwtxag83
AG
Don't miss The Rendezvous for ribs. Literally down the alley less than 150 yards away from the Peabody Hotel.

Lots to see on Beale Street.

I always loved Mud Island.right on the river. They have a scale model of the entire Mississippi River that is very cool.

Sun Record Studio, Graceland, Duck parade at the Peabody.

Memphis has some OUTSTANDING Italian food. If you want to have a truly unique Memphis Italian experience, go to Coletta's Italian Restaurant and order the Original Barbeque Pizza. Thank me later.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Bullpen Chias
AG
Did I miss a schedule release? Link please!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.