Will our NIL Program or BMA'S Help B-Ball

2,147 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Proposition Joe
KBAGOLFER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm hoping our stacked programs will, but I'm also hoping the power brokers are ready to help B-Ball just like football and baseball. Let's be honest we all love March Madness and want the Aggies in it. Let's make it happen
KayakBassAngling
Gap
AG
Next question is that who Buzz wants to recruit.

He seems to like to do things off the beaten path, for better or worse.
MarcAg
AG
Gap said:

Next question is that who Buzz wants to recruit.

He seems to like to do things off the beaten path, for better or worse.

Unfortunately it's probably going to be everyone in the portal. Guys go into the portal and they can listen to all offers and if yours isn't competitive then they are going to go with somebody else.

I worry with football being so close to national championship level that everyone wanting to help out A&M athletics will want to help football get over that finishing line.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Another concern is if the big money guys are putting a lot of money into nil, will money for the facility upgrades dry up
greg.w.h
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Another concern is if the big money guys are putting a lot of money into nil, will money for the facility upgrades dry up
Im pretty sure that's what the new capital campaign is designed to suss out!!

I'm fairly sure the current Olympics model is the best picture. Some sports get tons of sponsors. Other not so much.

The notion that the school can safely coordinate this to spread money around seems antithetical to the few remaining NCAA restrictions. The transformation committee is working on the details.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I agree for this round, but what happens in the round of the facility wars?
greg.w.h
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

I agree for this round, but what happens in the round of the facility wars?
Unpossible to know?!?
greg.w.h
AG
Cedric Golden (Austin-American Statesman) was on Finebaum today and Paul asked him if Texas, who Paul asserted has more more money than A&M, will choose to outspend A&M on NIL. Cedric's response was that he is glad all the money won't go to coaches and players will get some. He didn't mention facilities, but I'm sure he was thinking about them.

In the past A&M intentionally underfunded facilities just to not beg from former students. And it created a gap. We were able to do some catch up with a splash hire but then Byrne admitted coming in concurrent with Slocum's replacement that he was at a disadvantage and needed facilities.

If the former students choose to go cheap on facilities again then we will be left at a competitive disadvantage. Look at Reed for just a picture. It no doubt was better than the Drum when built. But we see it's flaws and they were intentional and put sports second.

We either fix things like that or we instead promote our academic charter and take it in the shins. It's not like there is anything wrong with putting academics first, after all..
Gap
AG
Reed isn't a great venue for our fans.

The player facilities we have that are attached to Reed are first rate.

I think this concern regarding Reed is sometimes jumbled together when the player side is nice.
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Reed isn't a great venue for our fans.

The player facilities we have that are attached to Reed are first rate.

I think this concern regarding Reed is sometimes jumbled together when the player side is nice.
You walked around the point. It was intentional. The player facilities merely balances some of the shortcomings since Reed had tiny provisions for practice sessions and was handed off to someone other that athletics to monetize. The whole thing is a financial failure and the two cities accepting access to the campus venues in exchange for tax dollars supporting the Kyle rebuild illustrates how bad it was…

The point is the school is terrible at planning facilities like this and provincial in how it manages them historically. If anyone here believes we can overcome poor facilities with side deals for student athletes I'll offer that's utterly delusional. They are additive but not baseline. And that's our old strategy instead of spending what it takes to get the right facilities and staff. But then we have to let the athletic department produce revenue to pay off the investment. We spend way too much time complaining about costs if our aspiration is championship football abd basketball.

To our credit it looks like our current capital plans are reasonable abs competitive. Blue Bell and Reed aren't addressed yet, but presumably a good plan will come together. Reed can be redone in place. But ignore the parking lot around it. The plan is to replace that with multiple parking garages and other buildings as part of the West Campus build out.

This can be done right. It can. But NIL will likely be additive not foundational…depending on what the transformation of the NCAA looks like…of course. Emmett getting fired likely was a good start.,,
AgEfan
Best way to improve facilities is to win. When people are excited about the program they are more likely to open up the wallet. Spend money on NIL to improve team. Then …
greg.w.h
AG
AgEfan said:

Best way to improve facilities is to win. When people are excited about the program they are more likely to open up the wallet. Spend money on NIL to improve team. Then …
Chicken v. egg argument. In a zero-investment start of a new sport that might be true. But it very much is not plausible in men's basketball.

What is true is that a talented recruiter can turn a team in very short order. But will they go to a school that isn't a traditional basketball power? Not if the money and facilities matter…
txag72
AG
Somebody has to put maroon blood into the student body about basketball. the "we never lose mentality, we just support". It seems that somehow permeates every sport at A&M EXCEPT basketball. No, not in attendance, but in spirit. It's like basketball is some sort of exception to the rule. We've won enough over the past decade to negate "the win and they will come theory". It's something else. I cannot believe that that isn't an easy fix if someone just tried.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

The point is the school is terrible at planning facilities like this

At the time I'd agree with you. Since then other than the vinyl covered indoor venues on Welborn they have really turned around the look, design, feel and functionality of new facilities. Night and day. We'd never build Reed like it was built now - no matter what the restrictions were. Credit where credit is due.
greg.w.h
AG
txag72 said:

Somebody has to put maroon blood into the student body about basketball. the "we never lose mentality, we just support". It seems that somehow permeates every sport at A&M EXCEPT basketball. No, not in attendance, but in spirit. It's like basketball is some sort of exception to the rule. We've won enough over the past decade to negate "the win and they will come theory". It's something else. I cannot believe that that isn't an easy fix if someone just tried.
If the community shows up and fills Reed the students will compete for seats. Quit focusing on students. It's too hard to maintain student interest when the former students age surrounding communities are indifferent.
greg.w.h
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

The point is the school is terrible at planning facilities like this

At the time I'd agree with you. Since then other than the vinyl covered indoor venues on Welborn they have really turned around the look, design, feel and functionality of new facilities. Night and day. We'd never build Reed like it was built now - no matter what the restrictions were. Credit where credit is due.
Its not just design but functionality. Reed is serviceable but isn't purpose effective for basketball. For the same reasons Kyle wasn't when it had the track and seats were too far away.
Proposition Joe
txag72 said:

It's a "basketball in Texas" thing, not an A&M thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.