Non conference schedule set

10,618 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MarcAg
Topher17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HossAg said:

What a ****ty lineup

I actually don't think it is all that bad. It isn't the best, but for where our program is I think it's a decent lineup. We aren't going to convince big time programs to play us yet and big time home games outside of "challenges" pretty much don't exist across the whole sport.
DePaul and Oregon St are really bad major conference teams, but it's better than playing NW St AND Lamar or (insert trash Southland school).
I wish we kept Tulane along with adding SMU, but oh well. Getting back in the Big12/SEC challenge rotation should help in future years as well, if the challenge continues.
MarcAg
AG
HoseMad said:

so did buzz learn how to game the rpi?
If it works out, yes. If it doesn't, no.
Hop
Staff
AG
HossAg said:

3 top 100 teams in non-conf is not "minimizing" bad opponents.

Last year, A&M played 7-8 games against lower tier (No. 200+) teams. That number will shrink in half to 3-4 next season.

It's possible they could play as many as six Top 100 teams and likely five.
greg.w.h
AG
MarcAg said:

HoseMad said:

so did buzz learn how to game the rpi?
If it works out, yes. If it doesn't, no.

I chuckled…
greg.w.h
AG
I think it's hard to perfectly predict ahead of time exactly where each opponent ends up. But I think your take is reasonable.

Subjectively, I expect us to be anywhere from incrementally to substantially better as a team, too. So every opportunity to play better teams benefits the learning process, I suspect.

In all honesty: in spite of the Xavier endnote, our late season run through the conference tournament and the NIT was a satisfying (if not preferred) alternative to being in the NCAAT.

Just giving credit where it's due.
miller0926
AG
Quad Breakdown using last year's final NET (from 4/4, so looks to be after all the postseason tourneys)

Q1: 2
Q2: 2
Q3: 2
Q4: 4

Myrtle tourney

Q1: 3
Q2: 1
Q3: 3

miller0926
AG
For comparison, last year's non-conference schedule (*These numbers are after the tourney, Notre Dame was a Q2 game on Selection Sunday)

Q1: 3
Q2: 0
Q3: 2
Q4: 7

Luke The Drifter
AG
This isn't a schedule to get wildly excited about, but it's an improvement over last season.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Mikeyshooter
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

This isn't a schedule to get wildly excited about, but it's an improvement over last season.
This. Last season's schedule was ranked in the 300+ range. This one will be closer to 150 or better.
frenchtoast
I'm seriously considering making that Memphis trip.
Mustang1
AG
MarcAg
AG
I'm glad we are on the same side of the bracket as Colorado. I think that could be a quality win for us if we matchup and beat them.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Assuming we beat Tulsa, pretty much guarantees that we will play Colorado and then one of Boise/Loyola/Murray State. Avoiding Charlotte and UMass is definitely a good thing.
MarcAg
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Assuming we beat Tulsa, pretty much guarantees that we will play Colorado and then one of Boise/Loyola/Murray State. Avoiding Charlotte and UMass is definitely a good thing.
UMASS might turn things around quickly.
Mustang1
AG
Tulsa was 11-20 last season.
McGibblets
AG
I guess the original was incorrect?

Anchorhold
So the guy at CBS just released match-ups for four espn tournaments? Some sources want a new job.
greg.w.h
AG
Murray State is just under us on last year's (I presume) Pomeroy. Loyola Chicago appears to be highest on that list. Rest are a bit all over the place.

Loyola Chicago 29/Tulsa 171
Boise State 39/Charlotte 201
Texas A&M 33/Murray State 36
Colorado 79/UMass 185

If the brackets are as depicted, best path opponents are Colorado and Loyola Chicago.

Check my work, please…
Gap
AG
Got to beat Murray St. but that shouldn't be a problem because their head coach and nearly entire team are now at LSU. So, I'm confident in a win there but man if you lose that game you leave with a L to Murray St. and wins over a couple of bad teams in UMass and Charlotte/Tulsa.

However, I don't see us having trouble with a total rebuilding Murray St. squad. So that bracket sets up nicely given Murray St. is basically starting over.
agtrevino07
AG
I know our basketball "brand" is not the most attractive one but why we sign up for this bad tournaments? Tulsa? Murray State? Loyola? Boise? ...i will watch the games but these are not great opponents that can provide any minimum type of excitement.
greg.w.h
AG
Thanks for finding the dark cloud behind my silver lining!!!
gstu11
This year Nike is having that Phil knight tournaments again. 16 of the best Nike schools are in those tournaments. Take them out of the normal espn tournaments and you get weaker fields in most of the tournaments.
cajunaggie08
AG
Why would a bigger name tournament invite a team that has missed out on the tournament the last 3 years and has a fan base that is still in football-only mode when these tournaments are played. i get it, I would rather have higher marquee matchups too, and we did get those more often when we were more consistently in the big dance. We just need to earn our way back there.
MarcAg
AG
I would have to imagine we get invited to the Battle for Atlantis soon since it was cancelled when we were previously supposed to play in it. They couldn't just move the field to the next year as the fields are set in advance. But maybe next year we get to play in it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.