Prediction time

4,345 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Method Man
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not counting Marcus Williams, how many Aggies enter the transfer portal? You don't need to predict who.

I'm going to say 3. I have no inside info, just guessing. And none of those 3 will I lose any sleep over.
Method Man
I'm going 2.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'll go with 3 as well. Need one just for the guys we've already got coming in I think. I'm expecting to add two transfer guys. Maybe 3 if Buzz can capitalize on the NIT success with guys looking for a great shot at the tournament next season.
phorizt
However many it takes to add 2 more transfers. I think that is 3 but my math may be off.
frenchtoast
Four, including one we don't want to lose.
bobinator
AG
Oh so THIS you'll give a prediction on?

I say 3.
MarcAg
AG
I'm changing my official prediction to 4 guys expected to be here next year will not be here, but with one disclaimer. It could be 4 in portal or retire from basketball or it could be 3 portal/retire and 1 recruit not join the team.
bobinator
AG
Absolutely not. The parameters you laid out were very clearly "enter the transfer portal."

NOW YOU'RE CHANGING THE RULES. THIS IS MADNESS MARC.
GrayMatter
AG
MarcAg
AG
This is an ncaa sport, the rules can be changed at any time even if they make no sense.
bobinator
AG
The real prediction is whether we'll be happy (relatively, some folks like Method are never happy) at the end of this offseason or not.

Where you at on that? Yes?
ProudAggie98
AG
I think yes. Even if we bring in no transfers, I think we have good hopes for a tournament run if you take development and continuity into account. Something wild like manny transferring would have to happen for me to be sad going into the offseason
RhodeAg
AG
I hope to God Coleman III doesn't seek a transfer to a stronger program, given his success this year.
Don't take life too seriously...no one gets out alive.
bobinator
AG
Just for reference, Radford, Coleman, and Henderson (and Marcus Williams, for whatever that's worth) have all already used their one-time transfer exception. They would have to sit a year.

Cash and Brown were transfers, but Cash was a juco and Brown did sit out, so they both have their one-time exception.

Gordon, Diarra, Hefner, Obaseki, Taylor, and Smith started here as freshmen so they still have their one-time transfer exception.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

The real prediction is whether we'll be happy (relatively, some folks like Method are never happy) at the end of this offseason or not.

Where you at on that? Yes?
I'm not expecting us to hit home runs in the portal, but I think we hit some solid doubles and add some nice pieces to some already nice pieces. So yeah I think I will feel better in July about the roster than I do today.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Besides Williams, I think there will be 2. So 3 total.
Ag_EE_88
AG
And that doesn't count any incoming guys who may or may not show up on campus....
Proposition Joe
3 total... Can't decide if Williams is my official "obvious cancer to the program so good riddance" pick or if that one is still out there.
themadmatter
Let's say 3.
MarcAg
AG
Proposition Joe said:

3 total... Can't decide if Williams is my official "obvious cancer to the program so good riddance" pick or if that one is still out there.
I think the rest of the guy's have bought it and work hard, which will make this tougher on the staff if they have to encourage guys to leave. Last year I think it was easy because things were a mess and guys weren't buying in and some guys had crappy attitudes.
bobinator
AG
Who would possibly fall in this category?

I think we can pretty much all agree that our remaining players fall in the buckets of either "guys we want to keep" or "guys that are trying hard and bought in but just aren't good enough."
Method Man
I'm happy often. Just not for very long
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

I'm happy often. Just not for very long
Method Man was excited late in the season. He was also much more into the NIT run than I was. I was already thinking about how we make the team better in the offseason and he is messaging me talking about how we match up with Wash St and such. Most engaged I have seen him in a while. With that being said, if Gordon or Hefner start the opening game next year then all that excitement is over for him. Or the first Manny airball and then thinks we are horrible again.
bobinator
AG
Are you really happy? Or are you just fleetingly not unhappy?
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Who would possibly fall in this category?

I think we can pretty much all agree that our remaining players fall in the buckets of either "guys we want to keep" or "guys that are trying hard and bought in but just aren't good enough."
Guys we want to keep

Radford
Coleman
Taylor
Diarra
Obaseki

That isn't saying all the other players 'aren't good enough'. Some of them are okay as bench D1 players or developing projects (like Brown). Just that the above IMO is the core of next year's roster that you definitely don't want to lose.
MarcAg
AG
I agree with this post. If you lose anyone not on that list it's not that big of a deal to me. If you lose one of those people then I'm going to be upset (pending what we bring in via the portal)
bobinator
AG
I mean, they aren't good enough yet. That doesn't mean they'll never be good enough. But like nobody on here is going to lose their minds if anyone that isn't one of those five transfers.

Really just trying to say there's no Savion Flagg's on this team where they're obviously talented but just don't seem to care/they're lazy/whatever.
Method Man
Same thing to me
Topher17
AG
I'm going to say four guys don't return that otherwise could have. If who I am thinking all part ways, I don't think I'll be upset at all. I think we have a really good situation that a lot of transfers could be attracted to. We should have the opportunity to be selective this offseason.
AgsinGA
AG
Two with a medical .
txag72
AG
Quote:

.....and bought in but just aren't good enough."
The only person(s) I put into this category is the Cash/Henderson situation because they are so much the same player or at least used the same way. Otherwise, answer me this:

Is the time frame such that Coach can hunt for portal/transfer guys and KNOW what he has coming in BEFORE he would have time to give our guy a fair chance to hunt around for another team? I mean, if Buzz can actively help a guy out who he thinks he can improve on one way or another by him moving on, that's one thing. If you only have time to bring someone in that is supposedly better than what we have but that leaves our guy trying to fill slots that have already been taken, that would suck.

Any thoughts on if that's an issue as far as what you might KNOW early in the "trade season".
AgEfan
I can see that being the case. Why encourage somebody to go elsewhere until you have somebody better in the queue
txag72
AG
Quote:

I can see that being the case. Why encourage somebody to go elsewhere until you have somebody better in the queue
See what being the case? Buzz would put our present player in jeopardy of not finding a slot by taking someone last minute to replace him? I mean, I'm not sure that's even a question/possibility. That's why I'm asking.

This is so much different than recruiting some guy who you would at least be able to compete against, may the best man win. In these situations, it's all on paper and perception. I know, it's cut throat, but Buzz being Buzz, or the Buzz he is advertised to be....would he play it that way?
AgEfan
See him waiting to see if he needs to create room. There is going to be plenty of room out there for people. I don't see us taking people in August. I think we will know what the roster will look like by end of May. Far from last minute
txag72
AG
That's part of my question. What is the time frame for potentially transferring? You have from now til August??
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.