Further proof that the transfer portal is ruining college basketball.

12,619 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tavares19
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"It's dumb to try make a living off making a couple hundred grand in one year"

-very smart person on texags
Tavares19
AG
Which is literally the entire problem with NIL. College athletics is supposed to be about college, which is something we've completely lost sight of.

Completely free college education, access to some of the best coaching in their respective sport, access to best training facilities in world, free meals, free gear. But God forbid it's never enough with this all about me society

And thanks for your point that applies to like 1% of collegiate athletes lmfao
The same 1% that have a great shot at going pro anyway
wacarnolds
AG
Tavares19 said:

Which is literally the entire problem with NIL. College athletics is supposed to be about college, which is something we've completely lost sight of.

Completely free college education, access to some of the best coaching in their respective sport, access to best training facilities in world, free meals, free gear. But God forbid it's never enough with this all about me society

Someone a lot time ago just made up that college athletics is about all that **** a long time ago, and you bought it hook, line and sinker

Meanwhile, all the rent seekers (your coaches, your ADs, bowl executives, conference commissioners, TV execs, etc) have been making millions and billions on the back of that lie.

The solution isn't to try to go back in time to when everyone believes the lie, but rather to confront the lie and do something productive, fair and equitable to all parties involved, and adjust your fandom accordingly.
Tavares19
AG
How is giving amateur athletes everything they need to succeed not fair and equitable? School makes too much off them? Sure. But that goes both ways. Without the school, no one would know any of these athletes. If Manziel had played at an NAIA no one would've cared. He got exposure and fame BECAUSE of affiliation with A&M. The relationship goes both ways
wacarnolds
AG
Tavares19 said:

How is giving amateur athletes everything they need to succeed not fair and equitable? School makes too much off them? Sure. But that goes both ways. Without the school, no one would know any of these athletes. If Manziel had played at an NAIA no one would've cared. He got exposure and fame BECAUSE of affiliation with A&M. The relationship goes both ways

Coaches, athletic departments, schools, conferences, college organizations, tv networks making millions and billions off the backs of unpaid labor is not fair and equitable.

That's day 1 stuff. If you don't understand that, I'm wasting my time even responding to you
TXAggie2011
AG
wacarnolds said:

Tavares19 said:

Coaches, athletic departments, schools, conferences, college organizations, tv networks making millions and billions off the backs of unpaid labor is not fair and equitable.

That's day 1 stuff. If you don't understand that, I'm wasting my time even responding to you
The majority of coaches, athletic departments, schools, etc. are closer to St. Peters where no one is making any money than they are the places where folks are making millions
Tavares19
AG
And those players get national exposure because of their ties to the school. They get access to everything they want

Players making money wasn't even the original discussion. It's the free transfer rule. You can't have the Wild West without restrictions and have a "fair and equitable" sports system. Otherwise you get what they have in European soccer. The same 6-8 teams win all the trophies, which is no fun for anyone

No one is stopping these kids from going somewhere else to play, just have to have restrictions
wacarnolds
AG
You can absolutely have the wild west. Or you can classify the players as athletes employees , collective bargain with them, and pay them what the market allows.

Either works. Going back in time absolutely will not. That old way is gone, get over it.
Tavares19
AG
Not sure how any of that relates to making players sit a year if they decide to switch teams but ok

Even high school sports have transfer restrictions for a reason

You can allow players to make money off NIL deals and try to keep some semblance of competitive balance at the same time
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bravo, my friend. You are dominating this topic with sound logic. Too bad most people won't comprehend what you're saying.
CapCityAg89
AG
My take: one free transfer. Mistakes happen on both sides and the players absolutely should have the right to find a better situation (system, academic major, closer to home, hotter girls, NIL - whatever). Regardless if coach leaves or not. Nobody should be held fully accountable for a choice they make at 16 or 17.

NIL: Make what you can and where you can - as long as it's legal (I'm not counting rules - just law of the land, laws). That capitalism in America.
Hop
Staff
AG
Tavares19 said:

They are required to train 12 months a year, multiple hours a day. These aren't typical students living a carefree, typical college student life. They can't have jobs to earn spending money. In many cases, they are encouraged to study subjects that aren't marketable because the marketable degrees require too much study time. There are only a handful of football players that get a degree in business, engineering, science, etc. They are treated like employees. College athletics hasn't been about college for a long time....half billion dollar stadiums, a billion dollars in TV revenue. Your college athletics utopia where athletes are students first, and athletes second died about 40 years ago.

They certainly deserve to benefit off of their name, image, and likeness...and the courts agreed.
Tavares19
AG
I never said they shouldn't be able to profit off their likeness. They always should've been. I said the way NIL, with basically no restrictions whatsoever, is being used right now the goal is no longer about college with the goal of getting kids degrees. If kids don't go into profitable majors that's their own fault. No one is telling them they can't
wacarnolds
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

My take: one free transfer.

Here's the problem with thinking this is a viable long term solution on its own - the market has already proven that these players are extremely valuable. The earning potential is obvious to everyone. So by trying to force players to sit a year, you are depriving them of their ability to earn that income (because those NIL sponsors surely won't want to invest in someone forced to street clothes for 12 months).

So I don't see how it will stand up court without some sort of collective bargaining agreement between the players and schools, which to me is a long way down the road after the P5 schools break away from the NCAA for football and basketball.
bobinator
AG
I agree with this, but I do wonder if a legal challenge would really hold up as easily as people think, especially in basketball.

The NCAA isn't saying they can't earn money. And they technically aren't saying they can't compete, they're just saying they can't compete in the NCAA. They would theoretically have the option to keep their NIL money and turn pro. If that money is from NIL is only tied to participation in NCAA events, the NCAA doesn't legally have anything to do with that right?
Chuck Gay
AG

Quote:

they are encouraged to study subjects that aren't marketable because the marketable degrees require too much study time. There are only a handful of football players that get a degree in business, engineering, science, etc.

Kudos to those who do put in the study time and make the choice to do the hard thing while playing college sports and get the highly marketable degree that will pay off the rest of their life. So few will make enormous money in pro sports, everyone is aware of the long odds.

On the A&M list of graduates this semester, I noticed Zach Calzada was graduating from Mays with a degree in
Supply Chain Management.
Hop
Staff
AG
Tavares19 said:

I never said they shouldn't be able to profit off their likeness. They always should've been. I said the way NIL, with basically no restrictions whatsoever, is being used right now the goal is no longer about college with the goal of getting kids degrees. If kids don't go into profitable majors that's their own fault. No one is telling them they can't

And what I said is it hasn't been about kids getting a degree for 40 years. And no, it's not just the players' fault about what degrees they pursue. They are strongly encouraged to pursue the "easier" degrees. Plus, at A&M or Texas, most of these athletes don't have the option of pursuing an engineering, science, or business degree. Hell, incoming regular students don't have the luxury of picking their own majors anymore because the university puts strict constraints on students on declaring for the marketable degrees.

My daughter at A&M Consol is graduating in the top 18% of a very competitive graduating class. Her acceptance to A&M was conditional and restricted to liberal arts types of degree plans. She can't go to the engineering college and she's a pretty good student with extracurricular activities.

Basically, your utopia of college athletics being for true students just doesn't exist anymore.
Tavares19
AG
But in reality it is still on them whether they want to pursue a more challenging degree. Coaches can recommend but not prevent. Just because they didn't want to put in the effort in high school to get in one of those competitive degrees doesn't mean they can't
bobinator
AG
It actually might. There might be ways around it, but they still have to be admitted into those colleges like engineering or Mays.
Tavares19
AG
Which goes back to my point about having an academic resume in high school for getting into one of those. Obviously they may not get in as you never know with admissions but it is still up to them whether they want to position themselves to get in

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.