Further proof that the transfer portal is ruining college basketball.

12,509 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tavares19
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, I know their coach just left, but this is going to become more common whenever a smaller school makes a run. Do we really want the smaller schools to become the minor league programs for the power schools?

Pumpkinhead
AG
"Yes, I know their coach just left"

Yes...He did...
Tavares19
AG
As an A&M fan it's great, but as a big fan of college basketball it sucks. Covid, NIL, free transfer, basically the entire landscape just went to crap in a year
Texas A&M
Pumpkinhead said:

Yes...He did...
Are you done making edits? I might answer your questions if you leave them up long enough for me to remember them.
Rongagin71
AG
I agree things changed a LOT just over the last year but there have been no shortage of predictions that the power of money would eventually cause this sort of change.
The NCAA was set up, in part, to fight for amateurism + teaching sportsmanship and school spirit...but it has failed and will likely soon cease to exist.
_lefraud_
AG
I think you could argue that HS guys are still going to slip thru the cracks, maybe even more so as some coaches will just recruit the portal (and not under the radar kids)

If these guys stayed at Saint Peters, it's likely they would miss the tournament all together next year
Kellso
If the coach can leave without consequence.....then the players should have that same right.
Method Man
Sure they should but it sucks. You're also acting like coaches switch jobs every year. Coaches have a lot more on the line. Comparing the two is kind of annoying. I get the rationale and I'm not against them transferring but it's apples and oranges.
Mikeyshooter
AG
It's been fine. I will root like hell for whoever decides to put on the maroon and white. I didn't enjoy this season any less with so many new faces.
Method Man
Which player did you enjoy watching the most?
Anchorhold
Texas A&M said:

Do we really want the smaller schools to become the minor league programs for the power schools?
as an aggie who has wild aspirations of returning to "power" or even "relevant" status, that is exactly what I want.
Tamuco99
Coaches are free to move without restrictions
Players are free to move with restrictions
Americans are free to observe the national anthem however they choose to

Why do you have such a problem with Americans exercising their freedoms?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Texas A&M said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Yes...He did...
Are you done making edits? I might answer your questions if you leave them up long enough for me to remember them.
I am a notorious post editor on TexAgs. If they actually tracked edit count in addition to post count, it wouldn't surprise me if I was top-10 on this entire site.
MarcAg
AG
It's much better now. Before it was all in the ncaa hands and they would grant kids a waiver to transfer for free because he had asthma and the pollen was high at his school and then turn around and not grant a waiver for a kid moving close to home because his mom was diagnosed with cancer. Anything where the decision is taken out of the NCAA subjective hands is good in my book.
txag72
AG
Quote:

I am a notorious post editor on TexAgs. If they actually tracked edit count in addition to post count, it wouldn't surprise me if I was top-10 on this entire site.
I think I'm no. 2.
PatAg
AG
There is a lot of shady recruiting practices, so I am all for players being able to leave.
I think it probably needs some tweaking, but I think its a net positive
Method Man
I think if you transfer you shouldn't be allowed to take a charge for a year.
bobinator
AG
Now we're talking
greg.w.h
AG
There is zero reason to limit transfers. Not ruining anything. Freeing student athletes to be like all other students.
CapCityAg89
AG
I'm sorry but anything that promotes upper classmen in major colleges is good for college basketball.
BQ_90
AG
Thought one and done already killed college basketball
GrayMatter
AG
There's no problem that I see here.

Maybe they're just following their coach.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Tamuco99 said:

Coaches are free to move without restrictions
Players are free to move with restrictions
Americans are free to observe the national anthem however they choose to

Why do you have such a problem with Americans exercising their freedoms?
I have absolutely no problem with it, for all the reasons you just named.

Just don't call it college basketball any longer.
bobinator
AG
Why? Isn't this just what college is? You pick the school that you think is the best option to help you with your career goals, then if you decide it isn't anymore for some reason, you pick a different school and go there.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
What difference would forcing the players to stay in the same school make?

Why does it matter to anyone?
Do fans of St Peters follow their team because players or because of their affiliation with the institution?

In my opinion, you will think this is bad if you generally dislike change. You will be fine with it if you generally are good with or like change. This has very little to do with the sport of college basketball or whether you support a specific school.

Also interesting that the coach leaving is a footnote, but the players leaving is a conversation. College basketball will survive this change. :-)
Complete Idiot
It completely destroys the continuity and integrity of college basketball if the player's I had never watched before the NCAA tournament leave the school I had never heard of before the NCAA tournament.
greg.w.h
AG
Complete Idiot said:

It completely destroys the continuity and integrity of college basketball if the player's I had never watched before the NCAA tournament leave the school I had never heard of before the NCAA tournament.
…because their coach got more money somewhere else based in part on their play…you left that out…
Fairview20
AG
This actually really hurts high school kids the most. A lot of P5 schools will start only using scholarships on high end recruits, and then loading up in the portal on guys who've "proven it" at a smaller school.

The athletic had a good article about this for football. A 3 star QB who 10 years ago would have a decent amount of P5 offers had 0 going into February.
bobinator
AG
I don't know that it hurts them, it's just a different model.

Instead of that kid going to a P5 school and riding the bench, and then either finally playing or transferring to a smaller school if he's not good enough he starts at the smaller school now and then either moves up if he's good or stays if he's not good enough.

End result is kind of the same right?

There's still only X amount of scholarships to go around for all of the big schools. It's going to take a few years for everyone to adjust and settle in to see what the new recruiting model really looks like, but I don't think it really "hurts" the players any.
miller0926
AG
BQ_90 said:

Thought one and done already killed college basketball
One and done isn't what "killed it" for me. That's a strategy that coaches willingly take when they recruit 5-star McDonald All-Americans.

It's all the players that are entering the draft early to go settle for a career over seas that I hate. All the players that realize nothing they do will help their draft stock so lets quit college.
bobinator
AG
This is why I think people should embrace NIL.

If we bring more value to playing college basketball, maybe we keep some better players in the game longer.
Bullpen Chias
SilverTongueDevil
greg.w.h said:

There is zero reason to limit transfers. Not ruining anything. Freeing student athletes to be like all other students.

I'm ok with 1 free transfer. Maybe the school you signed with isn't a good or maybe you went to a smaller program and proved yourself and can move to a bigger program. But after that I agree with the policy of sitting a year.
Class of 65
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Yes...He did...
Are you proud of yourself when you make sarcastic comments to someone else post. Why dont you post something with an original thought.
Iowaggie
AG
bobinator said:

This is why I think people should embrace NIL.

If we bring more value to playing college basketball, maybe we keep some better players in the game longer.

I've suggested before that there is justification for a lawsuit against the NCAA to not limit an athlete to only a 4-year's of eligibility because now that rule is limiting how much a person can make.

What other profession do we limit to only working 4 years?
Why limit a student from earning a scholarship to further their education?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.