Story Poster
Devin Johnson
Diarra & Gordon
Texas A&M Basketball

Diarra's heroic 3-pointer lifts Aggies to victory over ACU in double OT, 81-80

November 12, 2021

Press conference video courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics.

In the second game of the season, Texas A&M finds a way to get its second win of the year in an 81-80 double-overtime win over Abilene Christian.

A 10-0 scoring spree by the Wildcats halfway through the second period catapulted ACU from an eight-point deficit to a two-point lead. The Aggies found themselves down by six points at the under four-minute media timeout but clawed their way back to tie the game at 61 on a pair of Tyrece Radford free throws.

Each team had a chance to win the game in regulation, but neither could convert open shots, sending the game to overtime.

"I knew it was good when I shot the ball. ... It's a great feeling to hit a shot like that to win the game."
- A&M guard Hassan Diarra

Texas A&M began the first overtime attacking the basket and building a seven-point lead, 70-63, with 1:26 seconds remaining on the clock. However, a pair of made threes by the Wildcats in the final 25 seconds combined with two missed free throws by the Aggies, sent the game to a second overtime tied, 73-73.

The second overtime was a defensive battle as each team only scored five points in the first three and a half minutes of action. With 25 seconds remaining, the Wildcats converted a tough layup to take an 80-78 lead. The Aggies called timeout and drew up a play to get the shot they wanted.

That shot didn't fall, but Henry Coleman III grabbed the offensive rebound and was fouled with 6.1 seconds on the clock.

However, Coleman missed both free throws. Still, the Ags got one last chance on a gift as the Wildcats lost possession of the rebound out of bounds.

The inbounds pass went to Hassan Diarra at the top of the key.

"The play broke, and we didn't get the look we wanted," Texas A&M Andre Gordon explained. "The play was actually to have Ethan (Henderson) set a ball screen and slip the ball screen, but they 'blacked' it really well, and the second option was to have me come to the corner and knock the shot down. But like we said, the play broke down, and we got it to Hassan."

Diarra caught the ball at the top of the key, took his time with the dribble and drained a 25-foot 3-pointer with .9 seconds on the clock.

Bailey Orr/Texas A&M Athletics
Gordon finished with a team-high 17 points.

"I knew it was good when I shot the ball," Diarra said of the game-winner. "It felt amazing. It's a great feeling to hit a shot like that to win the game."

The win gave Devin Johnson his second victory in as many games as a head coach.

"I don't know many undefeated coaches in the nation, but I know coach Devin Johnson is one of them."

Texas A&M is back in action on Sunday afternoon as they host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi for a 2 p.m. CT tip-off. Head coach Buzz Williams will return from a two-game suspension.

Discussion from...

Diarra's heroic 3-pointer lifts Aggies to victory over ACU in double OT, 81-80

4,150 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by texag86
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.