Aggies Picked 12th

3,619 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bobinator
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bring it on MFers:

1. UK
2. Bama
3. Arky
4. Tenn
5. Aub
6. LSU
7. Fla
8. MSU
9. Miss
10. Mizz
11. USCe
12. A&M
13. Vandy
14. Uga
Complete Idiot
WRONG.
Complete Idiot
Maybe I'm being a homer, but I see mid level SEC and perhaps better if this group bonds well and their games complement each other ideally.

Actually, no maybe about it but I don't care.
EastTX_Ag21
AG
I have no idea what this team will be could be a top SEC team or a lower level team .
MarcAg
AG
Ive been saying we would be predicted 10 to 12th. No clue where we will actually finish, but was certain that is where we would be predicted based off the talent on other rosters and how many new faces we have. SEC is becoming a great basketball conference. There are some elite recruiters in this conference.
Topher17
AG
I think that is pretty fair considering what we did last year, the question marks we have going into the season and the strength of the conference. I do think we will end up finishing higher than 12th. Maybe I'm naive, but I find myself getting more excited about this team as the season approaches.
MarcAg
AG
Topher17 said:

I think that is pretty fair considering what we did last year, the question marks we have going into the season and the strength of the conference. I do think we will end up finishing higher than 12th. Maybe I'm naive, but I find myself getting more excited about this team as the season approaches.
There are some interesting pieces and I'm curious to see how it works out. Williams, Radford and Jackson excite me on the perimeter.
greg.w.h
AG
Pooping the bed the previous year means you either have to pick up pieces the sportwriters understand or earn your way up especially if the school is a now and again team.

I won't say the ranking is meaningless. It is what it is. I will hopefully suggest play on the floor either confirms it or replaces it with something better. I'm pulling for better!
Topher17
AG
I imagine we will struggle with teams with a lot of size unless we really show an ability to hit the 3 that we haven't had in the past. I don't think we need Henderson or Brown to be elite, but we are going to need good minutes from them defensively and just pray they aren't a complete black hole on the offensive end. If Coleman can play to his potential and Williams can handle the step up in competition, I think we could put a pretty solid team on the floor.
Complete Idiot
MarcAg said:

Ive been saying we would be predicted 10 to 12th. No clue where we will actually finish, but was certain that is where we would be predicted based off the talent on other rosters and how many new faces we have. SEC is becoming a great basketball conference. There are some elite recruiters in this conference.
This is definitely the part I am missing - the analysis of competing rosters. For the Ags, I feel they have a nice mix of skills and talents and experience playing Div 1 basketball deep down the roster. However, they are all new together, aren't proven in the SEC, and as you say this isn't the SEC of 10 or 15 years ago and coaching and recruiting have improved.
MarcAg
AG
Topher17 said:

I imagine we will struggle with teams with a lot of size unless we really show an ability to hit the 3 that we haven't had in the past. I don't think we need Henderson or Brown to be elite, but we are going to need good minutes from them defensively and just pray they aren't a complete black hole on the offensive end. If Coleman can play to his potential and Williams can handle the step up in competition, I think we could put a pretty solid team on the floor.
I dont have high expectations for Henderson. Maybe the change of scenery will be good for him.

I also don't have high expectations for Brown this season. Maybe before he is done at A&M, but I'm not expecting much from him this year. Hey if he can grab rebounds and play defense that would be great. We didnt have that last year. So I think that is the goal for him, can he grab you boards and maybe give you some rim protection and if you drop it off to him wide open on the block can he catch it and finish it.

I think a guy like Cash could surprise and play an undersized PF role (we really dont play traditional positions, but he would not be one of the 3 guards in the scenario i'm talking about) along with Coleman as your big man.

Jalen Johnson might could play that same role as Cash too. I think you will see tons of undersized lineups.

I would love it if Ashton Smith was ready to be a regular contributor by SEC play. That might be too ambitious for his freshman year. He is going to be good before he is done here and I am excited about him.

aggiejohn
AG
agreed.

we will live or die by these players:
new guys:
Marcus Williams
Jalen Johnson
Tyrece Radford
and whatever Henry Coleman can do in the post

along with:
Quenton Jackson
Andre and Hassan

I like our chances.
I'm fired up - only 3 weeks away!
CactusThomas
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Bring it on MFers

Expert Analysis
AG
When you start that low the only way to go is up...
Finishing in the middle of the conference should by no means be considered beating expectations.
I expect us to be a middle of the pack team this year. Finishing in the top 4 would be exceeding expectations.
bingram1230
AG
What about Obaseki? I think if he is as good as his ranking he needs to play.
CactusThomas
AG
bingram1230 said:

He's the guy I'm most excited to see. Seems like insiders have been trying to tamper expectations on him, acting like he's a project or needs time to develop.

Certainly didn't look like a project during his recruitment.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So does Tom Crean enter this season officially on Death Watch?
MarcAg
AG
CactusThomas said:

bingram1230 said:

He's the guy I'm most excited to see. Seems like insiders have been trying to tamper expectations on him, acting like he's a project or needs time to develop.

Certainly didn't look like a project during his recruitment.

I think it depends on what you expect from him as a player. If you expect him to be a guy that does a little bit of everything then i think you will be happy. If you expect him to be a big time scorer you will likely be disappointed.
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks. I don't have any specific expectations or anything. Just hope to see him as a significant contributor.

When he committed I figured he would be a day one starter. Obviously our roster looks completely different than we expected back then. And I think that's a good thing for sure.
MarcAg
AG
He could be a starter this year. I think people see 5 star and expect this big time scorer and that really has never been his game. He can score though, but he can also run your offense and get others involved.
Topher17
AG
Expert Analysis said:

When you start that low the only way to go is up...
Finishing in the middle of the conference should by no means be considered beating expectations.
I expect us to be a middle of the pack team this year. Finishing in the top 4 would be exceeding expectations.

I think if we finish top 6 we'll have exceeded my expectations. Top 4 would mean we are way way ahead of where I think we are as a program.
Mikeyshooter
AG
I think we will be in that 7-8-9 range and squarely on the bubble.
Proposition Joe
For a preseason ranking, 12th is fair.

Team has a ceiling of ~6 though. UK/Bama/Arky/Tenn will be better than we are, and one of Auburn/Florida will as well. The rest of the league we cold conceivably finish ahead of if the roster meshes well and some of theirs don't.
TopoTacos
AG
It looks like we are going to be led by our guard play, depending on how big of a step Coleman takes in the new system. When you've got guys who can get hot the sky is the limit in any given game, and it doesn't take much to envision a scenario in which Jackson goes supernova and we claim a couple "upsets".

If we can just raise our floor by gaining some consistency we'll finish this season well above the lowly expectations we've been handed. I'm starting to get excited for what progress this program could show.
bobinator
AG
The thing that excites me with this team is just having options. The last couple of years we've had like one guy that can dribble, one guy who can shoot, one guy who can actually score in the paint, etc. And even then those guys weren't good at those things all the time.

This team has some options. It also has decent depth. We aren't two fouls away from having to play a walk on or a true freshman at point guard. (Now, we might choose to play one, but we don't HAVE to play one, key difference.)

Also gives you better competition in practice. You can legitimately divide this team in half and have two decent groups of five and still have some scholarship players left over. That should help a lot also.

I really like this roster, now we just need to see how it comes together.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I have no clue. And really, none of you do either. And really, no one that voted in that poll does, either.
Complete Idiot
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

I have no clue. And really, none of you do either. And really, no one that voted in that poll does, either.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Good gosh you just reminded me how much I hate Matthew Mcconaughey
Anchorhold
CactusThomas said:

Mikeyshooter said:

Bring it on MFers

We have a fight ahead of us, men. Let's be ready for it.
DukeMu
Practice.

I am going to prog 5th in the SEC.
PatAg
AG
EastTX_Ag said:

I have no idea what this team will be could be a top SEC team or a lower level team .
That is my thought as well. I know that Buzz has been a great coach in the past, but I'm not confident in this year.
SECTAMU#1
My guess is this team will finish no higher than 7th but no lower than 10th.
rwtxag83
AG
I think we finish significantly higher than 12th based on the results of Buzz coached teams in past years that weren't affected significantly by Covid19.

As noted here, right now nobody knows anything other than past coaching performance.

When we're near the end of the non conference games we'll have a much better idea of what will happen.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Captain Pablo
AG
Well, at least we know for sure that if we finish 8th, there will be no shortage of posters declaring success because we exceeded expectations

In any event, I think we'll finish higher cuz Buzz
Captain Pablo
AG
PatAg said:

EastTX_Ag said:

That is my thought as well. I know that Buzz has been a great coach in the past, but I'm not confident in this year.

Well it is year 3 after all

Time to show dramatic improvement
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.