Caurso impact on Bulls

5,845 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by zip90
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Impact

rlb28
AG
Also been meaning to link some TikTok videos of his workouts before the season. I guess this guy trains him some in the offseason along with Zach Lavine. @jlawbball

Caruso workout
BJM1781
AG
Love me some Caruso, but what's up with the 4 stars on the waistband? Shouldn't they have 6?
dgb99
AG
4 stars are from the city of Chicago flag.
BJM1781
AG
Thanks! Thought it was the typical stars for championships deal.
rlb28
AG
Caurso's opening night with the Bulls wasn't great offiensively, but he did play 27 minutes and by the look of the roster he'll get lots of minutes. Bulls won 94-88

3 points - 1-5 FG, 1-3 3FG, 3 reb, 3 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 2 TOs
CapCityAg89
AG
rlb28 said:

Caurso's opening night with the Bulls wasn't great offiensively, but he did play 27 minutes and by the look of the roster he'll get lots of minutes. Bulls won 94-88

3 points - 1-5 FG, 1-3 3FG, 3 reb, 3 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 2 TOs

This stat line is about the most AC thing ever.
Divining Rod
BJM1781 said:

Thanks! Thought it was the typical stars for championships deal.

wasnt the 6 championships just a Jordan deal? i thiught they had other championships before him.
Rocinante
Nope. Six and only six
GrayMatter
AG
If Caruso were to make his shot more consistently, he'd be an All-Star. He can do it.
Duck Sausage
AG
rlb28
AG
czar_iv
AG
Caruso!!
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
monarch
S
Thats what he is there for....
Peace for Ukraine!
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

About those "M-V-P" chants

C'mon, Bulls fans. What. Are. You. Doing?

In the house that Mike built, Derrick Rose called home and LaVine now lights up, it's Caruso who you shower with M-V-P chants? I knew he'd be a fan favorite but hearty M-V-P chants in the first half of his first home game was surprising to say the least. LaVine has given four years to this franchise, while it has been largely lousy. How's he supposed to feel?

"I'm more than fine with that," LaVine said, laughing. "They did with a couple of us. I don't know who was getting the M-V-P chants. But it was a couple of us. But Caruso is a fan favorite, with the headband and everything. We love him, too."

OK, so LaVine got his "M-V-P" shower too, later in that same Pelicans game Friday. Caruso's still sounded louder. A more tepid variation for Caruso also returned Saturday.

"It's hard to say I'm used to it," Caruso said, "but people have kind of sprinkled them in here and there over the years. So for me, it's just kind of another thing. I wish they'd save them for the real MVPs of the team, like when Zach gets going, or DeMar's cooking or something. But I'm never going to deter that. I'm appreciative."
https://theathletic.com/2909323/2021/10/24/what-to-make-of-the-bulls-3-0-start-how-good-can-this-team-really-be-this-season/
DukeMu
Against Detroit Caruso had more stat sheet stuffin':

3-4 FG, 2-2 3FG, 4 Assists, 5 steals, 1 block, 12 points...

LAL can't buy a win...Coincidence? You decide.
rwtxag83
AG
Yep. I bet there's lots of Lakers fans seeing AC's highlights, while thinking about the W-L line of LA and wishing he was back right now.

It's only going to get more severe.
Greater love hath no man than this....
LawHall88
AG
rlb28
AG
Caruso flashes handles
DukeMu
LawHall88 said:

I've been watching that game last night and this afternoon. Caruso is in the zone now - his basketball IQ is just off the charts with confidence of the last 2 seasons. Amazing what a ring will do!

A couple of passes last night were Larry Legend Bird level.
rlb28
AG
Bulls whooped Celtics tonight. Caruso had a plu/minus box score of +21
wacarnolds
AG
He's balling
moldaggie
He comin.....

Lakers - LOL. Sooo happy not to have to root for them anymore.

Don't miss the CARUSHOW !!
rlb28
AG
I'm calling it now, if he keeps getting 25+ minutes he will lead the league in steals
LawHall88
AG
greg.w.h
AG
Caruso helped hold off the Mavs last night. The Mavs have the weakness of one superstar carrying the whole load and the team droops when he droops, but the Bulls were better. Didn't see the whole game so can only comment on the ending.
DukeMu
Caruso starting for the Bulls tonight against the Lakers.
PJYoung
AG
https://theathletic.com/2953721/2021/11/15/gone-in-a-blink-the-inside-story-of-alex-carusos-departure-from-the-lakers/?article_source=search&search_query=caruso

Quote:

In the literal blink of an eye, the Chicago Bulls sixth man had reignited a dormant controversy. In a video clip from the conversation that had gone viral, Redick asked Caruso for details of his decision to sign with Chicago for $37 million over four years rather than return to the Lakers. Was it the money? Did the Lakers lowball him? He instructed Caruso to blink twice if the Lakers had offered him more than $15 million over two years, and once if it was less.

Caruso blinked once.

Quote:

At 3 p.m. PT, when teams could begin negotiating with free agents, the Lakers placed their first call to Caruso and made their offer of $7 million a year.

It was a quick conversation. Lawrence told the Lakers he and his client believed Caruso could do better.

They were seeking the full mid-level exception of four years and $40 million. The Lakers' offer was intended to box out other contending teams over the salary cap that would be limited to the taxpayer mid-level exception of $5.89 million per year. That meant other contenders, such as the Warriors, Clippers and Bucks, would not be able to swoop in and steal Caruso.

Quote:

But when Lawrence informed Caruso the Lakers would not match the offer, Caruso asked his agent to call back with a compromise: two years, $20 million. While the Bulls offer was for slightly less than $10 million over four years, only $30 million was guaranteed. A $10 million per year offering would have been commensurate.

Again, the Lakers said no. Their offer stayed at $21 million over three years, and the moment calcified a perception that already existed. Faced with going deep into the luxury tax to retain one of their most valuable role players, the Lakers balked. Caruso was their first call in free agency on Aug. 2, but they never budged from their initial offer.

"No dollars and cents higher than that ever came back," Caruso said. "There's no counters. It was just, I think, that was kind of all they had. And at that point, it was like, okay, I have to make an executive decision based on real life here."

Quote:

He had become one of the Lakers' most important role players and a fan favorite. His advanced statistics with James regularly ranked at the top of the league.

He's having the same impact in Chicago. The Bulls' second-most-used lineup features Caruso alongside four starters and is outscoring opponents by 10.1 points per 100 possessions.

Quote:

As an active user of social media, he suddenly relates to people who complained to him about how much attention the Lakers received.

"I was like, 'I don't think we have, like, that much stuff going on. Like, we're actually good team, like, they should post about it,'" he said. "And now that I'm in Chicago, I'm like, damn, Lakers get so much love."
GrayMatter
AG
That's not really surprising to me. The Lakers weren't willing to commit so much $$ because they don't have to; they can offer less $$ to players because they're the Lakers. When you're a storied franchise, your spending is a little different than when you're just trying to get to the playoffs.
Aston04
AG
LawHall88 said:

Gotta love the "world class" NBA ref missing an obvious double dribble before the dunk.

Great play by Caruso though.
Aston04
AG
Just watch the full highlights of Chi v. Dal-- his best game of the year so far I'd say- way to go Alex!
PJYoung
AG
GrayMatter said:

That's not really surprising to me. The Lakers weren't willing to commit so much $$ because they don't have to; they can offer less $$ to players because they're the Lakers. When you're a storied franchise, your spending is a little different than when you're just trying to get to the playoffs.

They didn't have the $ to spend because of the luxury tax.
greg.w.h
AG
The luxury cap is a soft cap that grows bigger teeth as you exceed it:

' Again, the Lakers said no. Their offer stayed at $21 million over three years, and the moment calcified a perception that already existed. Faced with going deep into the luxury tax to retain one of their most valuable role players, the Lakers balked. Caruso was their first call in free agency on Aug. 2, but they never budged from their initial offer.

"No dollars and cents higher than that ever came back," Caruso said. "There's no counters. It was just, I think, that was kind of all they had. And at that point, it was like, okay, I have to make an executive decision based on real life here."'
Michael Cera Palin
AG
That announcer for the Bulls is pretty ridiculous but I have to admit I like his call for Caruso

"Turn up the AC!"
PJYoung
AG
Quote:

The Lakers were dealing with their own version of real life, too. After building out their roster in the offseason, they took on $44 million in luxury tax, the fifth-highest tax bill in the league. Adding Caruso would have driven that number higher. According to salary cap expert Danny Leroux, if Caruso had agreed to the Lakers offer, the franchise would have owed an additional $17.5 million in luxury tax, a fact the Lakers hoped would resonate with Caruso.

Even though those tax dollars wouldn't land in his bank account, it did represent a total financial commitment greater than what the Bulls paid and, in the Lakers' mind, aligned their actual investment with his market value.

For a player who had, by his own admission, played his first four seasons for "pennies on the dollar," that reasoning was never going to tilt things back the Lakers way.

If the Lakers had not signed Kendrick Nunn for the taxpayer mid-level exception and instead accepted Caruso's $20 million counteroffer, they would have still paid roughly $20 million more in salary and luxury tax combined in 2021-22 alone, and would spike again the next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.