The basketball team brought tacos...

2,776 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DukeMu
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
....to the folks camping out of Bama tickets. Because they know they need fans that like slaughter and pain.

agtrevino07
AG
Good for the team to try to reconnect with the student body. Buzz and the team have not participate in many community/student outreach events in comparison to Gary Blair and the WB team.
greg.w.h
AG
The team needs a Gary Blair approach to building fan support. Go get fans retail. Dab if you have to.
Goose
AG
This feels like a lot like a list is about to be eaten...
AggieTFA06
AG
agtrevino07 said:

Good for the team to try to reconnect with the student body. Buzz and the team have not participate in many community/student outreach events in comparison to Gary Blair and the WB team.
Agreed. I hope the basketball team will continue with stuff like this.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
MarcAg
AG
agtrevino07 said:

Buzz has already said that isn't his thing. He's not going out and trying to beg people to come watch them. He said win and people will come. Said he is trying to win and going out and kissing babies and such take time away from him putting a winning basketball team on the court. I get it, he's right. If you really want people to watch Aggie basketball you have to put a good product on the court. That really is the only way.
Gap
AG
There are plenty of opportunities for both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

No one wants Buzz out in the public eye at the detriment of the team being prepared.
bobinator
AG
I think he's half right. I think he's right for himself personally. I don't know that the coach passing out donuts or shaking hands with students in the MSC makes much of a difference for support.

But it can matter for the players. I think there can be a noticeable difference in how students support the team if they feel a connection the team or that the team is actually part of the student body compared to a team they never see on campus or at events or whatever.
GrayMatter
AG
You could make the argument that a winning Big Dance caliber team will have a deeper connection with students than tacos, pizza or doughnuts.

Regardless, it's never a bad thing to want to connect with students. Coordinating something like this doesn't really take a whole lot of effort or time and it's good publicity for the team.
bobinator
AG
I mean... yeah... I'm not saying that just by passing out tacos the students are going to show up in droves for a crappy team. The quality of the team is still the biggest determining factor in how many people are going to show up.

But I do think the players connecting more with the students, especially the hardcore sports fans that are camping out for football tickets can not only bring a few more of them out, but also get them more into the game when they do come.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

agtrevino07 said:

Buzz has already said that isn't his thing. He's not going out and trying to beg people to come watch them. He said win and people will come. Said he is trying to win and going out and kissing babies and such take time away from him putting a winning basketball team on the court. I get it, he's right. If you really want people to watch Aggie basketball you have to put a good product on the court. That really is the only way.

The key to success is changing a flat tire.
TyperWoods
bobinator said:

I mean... yeah... I'm not saying that just by passing out tacos the students are going to show up in droves for a crappy team. The quality of the team is still the biggest determining factor in how many people are going to show up.

But I do think the players connecting more with the students, especially the hardcore sports fans that are camping out for football tickets can not only bring a few more of them out, but also get them more into the game when they do come.

This.

They need to win or all the tacos in the world won't matter.

That being said, connecting with the students can bring good things in the meantime.

After last season, Buzz and the team could use some good will. This type of thing is a start.
TXAggie2011
AG
It's not hard to have your secretary order some food and then taking 30 minutes to pass it out.

If it's not his thing, it's not his thing but the rest is baloney.

BQ_90
AG
agtrevino07 said:

What exactly is WBB doing now? Gary spent a lot of time in the early years trying to get people to support the program, but I don't see WBB doing anything more than MBB.
DukeMu
AggieTFA06 said:

agtrevino07 said:

Agreed. I hope the basketball team will continue with stuff like this.

COVID.

Buzz knows how to connect. Va Tech b'ball was DOA before he arrived. Expect more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.