Finally… The roster

6,702 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 94chem
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://12thman.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
MarcAg
AG
Interesting that Coleman is listed at 6'8 243. Was listed at 6'7 229 last year.
greg.w.h
AG
MarcAg said:

Interesting that Coleman is listed at 6'8 243. Was listed at 6'7 229 last year.
He grewed???
bobinator
AG
Everyone knows you gain and inch when you transfer.
MarcAg
AG
Bigger soled shoes
fatdad84ag
AG
Davin Watkins??? Walk-on?
MarcAg
AG
Yes
Bunk Moreland
Jalen Johnson's photo looks like a younger Doc Rivers
Method Man
The soft water at A&M makes everyone's hair fluffier.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Bryan Davis moved on to something else? Looks to be so.
HoopsAg
Looking forward to watching this team play!
DukeMu
Roster Release Date!
LukeDuke
AG
Who are the most likely starting 5?
wacarnolds
AG
LukeDuke said:

Who are the most likely starting 5?

Q is a lock, I think. And Buzz seems to be a big believer in Gordon the first two years, so he'll probably start but I don't think it's guaranteed. My guess is:

Andre Gordon
Tyrece Radford
Quenton Jackson
Henry Coleman
Jalen Johnson

But Marcus Williams and Manny O breaking into the starting 5 would not surprise me
jaxisback
Think Marcus Williams will start and be primary ball handler.

Gordon may be first guy off the bench.
ryange05
AG
Some real depth. I see 12 kids getting PT early and going from there. Almost wonder if we have too much depth?!?!?
greg.w.h
AG
ryange05 said:

Some real depth. I see 12 kids getting PT early and going from there. Almost wonder if we have too much depth?!?!?
Too much depth means you have two full teams that can be changed out like hockey lines. Calipari had the problem one year at Kentucky…it's a good problem to have!!!
Complete Idiot
It's an odd path taken to get to this roster, and last year was disappointing. However, when looking at the returning players and those we acquired, I actually have some excitement. We have a lot of pieces, I don't know if my concern is "too much depth" but rather how can these pieces be fit together to produce a productive team.

I like Gordon, Diarra, and Jackson (if he's surrounding by a solid bunch).

I like Coleman and Radford.

I am curious about, and have hopes for, Brown, Williams, and Obaseki.

Even among those I didn't name I see a good amount of experience at this level as well as some talent.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator
AG
I'd think Gordon is more of a lock than Q (just because he started every game last year and Q didn't) but if either of them aren't starting it's probably a good sign for our guard depth.
bobinator
AG
Wac also isn't accounting for the early season Buzz wildcard starter. Zach Walker probably has as good a chance to start the first game as anyone.
greg.w.h
AG
Can we skip this weekend's football game and proceed immediately to basketball season???
Little Rock Ag
AG
greg.w.h said:

Can we skip this weekend's football game and proceed immediately to basketball season???
This post aged well.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
We all know Buzz is going to throw a wrench in the starting lineup for the first few games, but my GUESS at the starting lineup would be…

Marcus Williams
Tyrece Radford
Quenton Jackson
Henry Coleman
Javonte brown

But, liked mentioned above, Gordon has earned Buzz's respect so I see it hard for him coming off the bench, even though I think that's most likely how it plays out.

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
Thought this was interesting:

Guess Williams will be the primary ballhandler.
bobinator
AG
And Diarra
DTP02
AG
I can see Gordon's 3p% getting up over 33% if he's given the ball in better spots in rhythm. But the biggest benefit of playing him off the ball will be having him have more of an attacking mindset.

I think Williams will be the best passer at PG we've had in a few years, but I'm looking forward fo seeing what Diarra looks like with a full camp and off-season.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

And Diarra
We'll need him to step up then, he was a bit of a turnover machine last season.
MarcAg
AG
I know Buzz loves Gordon and I think he is a leader on this team, but I think his minutes are going to drop. He isn't better than Williams, Radford and Q. I think those guys are going to get a lot of minutes at the 1-3. Then you have Obaseki as well.
MarcAg
AG
And to clarify, I'm not saying he wont play much but I just don't see him playing 25 minutes a game this year.
bobinator
AG
I still think Gordon is going to be a lot better this season than you do. There's obviously no data to back this up, but I just get the feeling he might be the kind of player that plays better as the talent around him increases (Caruso was another guy like this, for different reasons.) We haven't seen Gordon be able to play off the ball all that much, especially with other consistent scoring threats on the floor. Put him alongside a Radford or Williams and maybe he's a much more effective player.

I'm also interested in seeing what Diarra looks like early in the year. He showed some flashes last year and you can tell Buzz likes him.

Short version is I'm still not sure how much to read into last season for any of the returning players. I'm not particularly confident that I know what kind of player anyone on the team is other than Q.
MarcAg
AG
I think he could have his most impactful year because his role is going to be very different but it's not necessarily going to be stats wise. I think they have asked him to do things outside of who he is because of necessity in the past. I don't think he scores more than 8 a game this year like last year. I think his role is probably going to be a defensive pest. But I don't think he's playing 25 minutes a night. Think that might drop to like 18.
bobinator
AG
I do agree he's going to play fewer minutes. By how much will impact his ppg but I bet he scores more points per minute. I like him on offense, just needed help. He was literally our only guy that could even think about attacking the basket off the dribble. (Q can attack the rim, but usually in transition or cutting/slashing, he's not going to dribble by very many people.)

You might be right, but I want to see him out there with some better guards and see what he looks like first.
MarcAg
AG
I dont think its out of the question that we go really small some with 4 guards and if so then I see more of a place for him.

Radford and Williams are better than Gordon. So in a 3 guard lineup you now have Q, Gordon and Manny fighting each other for minutes. I think thats the next group and then I think Diarra is likely behind that group. I expect Radford and Williams to be at least 28 mpg guys. I think come SEC play Manny probably does almost everything better than Gordon. But I am also probably being unfair to Gordon and assuming he will be the same player he was last year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.