What are the odds the Maui Invitational actually happens?

8,056 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TwoTimeAg
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We could try letting people manage their own risk.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Method Man said:

Except filling up hospitals puts others at risk and not just myself/yourself. Kind of like DUI. That is my own risk until it isn't....
Rongagin71
AG
So who is filling up hospitals that have been understaffed for years?
You do remember the articles about a nursing shortage from BEFORE Covid?

Also, on a more controversial note, some claim that all these Covid mutations are coming from the vaccinated part of the population because the vaccines (that naturally don't want you to die, so are weak) produce antibodies that are 1/13 as strong as natural antibodies (an Israeli study) so rather than kill the virus these weak antibodies allow the virus time to mutate.
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

We do. Hawaii doesn't.
Proposition Joe
As boring as this board can be at times... I can't stress enough how little any of us want the Politics Forum regulars posting here. I'd rather watch a Melvin Watkins coached team than hear the constant talking points.
Method Man
Not like that at all. There isn't a shot I can take that's readily available to protect me from a drunk driver. Hawaii is highly vaccinated.
TxRainMkr
AG
This tournament is made for tv. The actual gym is very small and doesn't accommodate many fans. I expect the push is to have the tournament in Maui for the tv money, but not allow fans. Hope I'm wrong for those planning to go.
Gap
AG
I've been in College Station for several weeks and it must be totally different than where some of you live and what you are experiencing. Things are pretty much totally back to normal. If you go to a grocery store like Kroger that is frequented by an older population, you start seeing some masks. But as a whole College Station looks a lot like it did pre-covid. And this is after 2 homes games with about 100,000 people together and the bars being packed at Northgate for a month.

Get your vaccine to improve your chances against any serious complication and then get as much back to normal as you can. The virus isn't going anywhere. You choose when you rejoin a regular society.

Ric Clark
If Hawaii is still on lockdown in October, I would not expect this tournament to occur.

Fortune Favors Valor
MarcAg
AG
It's going to be played in Vegas. Possibly Mandalay Bay.
Ag13
AG
MarcAg said:

It's going to be played in Vegas. Possibly Mandalay Bay.

Yep. Better than North Carolina like they did last year. Might actually still try to make this. Wife will miss going to Hawaii but I'll be content in Las Vegas
Bunk Moreland
Yeah - this is actually good news. Might consider the trip now too
Artimus Gordon
Good! Tired of hearing about the the ying and yang of whether it will be played in Hawaii!

Now they can call it the lost wages classic. Vegas is still smarting from
Losing the rodeo to Arlington last year!
miller0926
AG
I may go now. Wonder if there is gonna be a block of tickets made for each team's ticket holders
greg.w.h
AG
In a typical year that's a good field. And Vegas learned their lesson on canceling things.
DukeMu
Method Man said:

Yeah, that really works. There should be national mandate from ages 5-40. Pandemic ending for the US. Historically, it's Bernie 60s leftists that are the tin foil anti-vaxxers. Really, it's embarrassing.

Having said that case and hospitalization in Brazos Co. is a lot higher than Hawaii. Hawaii COVID levels are decreasing. We are still peaking due to school and college community spread. All of these kids have MMP, rubella, meningitis vaccinations already. Mandatory. In Mississippi there isn't even a religious out for mandatory childhood vax. I wouldn't want folks from Texas flying into a set of islands.

It's not about Hawaiians already infected.

Having said that re: performance, the football team should be another clue. Buzz Williams was COY in the SEC in 2019-2020. He didn't forget how to coach last year. Last year was a COVID dumpster fire. the dice bounced the football team's way, but not MBB.

We'll be able to practice consistently and frequently assuming the team and staff have been vaccinated. I'm going to predict a Top 4 SEC finish, even with a lot of baller turnover. TBF, our FG% on paper has increased dramatically.

DukeMu
Gap said:

I've been in College Station for several weeks and it must be totally different than where some of you live and what you are experiencing. Things are pretty much totally back to normal. If you go to a grocery store like Kroger that is frequented by an older population, you start seeing some masks. But as a whole College Station looks a lot like it did pre-covid. And this is after 2 homes games with about 100,000 people together and the bars being packed at Northgate for a month.

Get your vaccine to improve your chances against any serious complication and then get as much back to normal as you can. The virus isn't going anywhere. You choose when you rejoin a regular society.

Which is exactly why cases in Brazos Co. are dramatically on the rise. 122/100,000 and still peaking. Highest case rate in over a 100 mile radius.

Gap
AG
DukeMu said:

Gap said:

Which is exactly why cases in Brazos Co. are dramatically on the rise. 122/100,000 and still peaking. Highest case rate in over a 100 mile radius.
Wow doing the math a case rate of 0.0012 with a side effect of a totally normal life with people pursuing their passions and desires like they wish and we used to. Sign me up please.

The 2 biggest groups with a case of covid are 20-29 y/o and 10-19 y/o then a big drop to 30-39 y/o group.

Brazos County looks like a fully functioning society.
Proposition Joe
The "conference coach of the year" stuff is so overblown. It was essentially the "most improved" award.

Billy Kennedy won coach of the year honors... Did he forget to coach the next year?

And googling I actually even found how much more ridiculous it is... There's apparently both a "Coaches Poll" for the SEC coach of the year as well as an "AP Poll".

John Calipari actually won the Coaches "SEC Coach of the Year". Buzz Williams won the AP "SEC Coach of the Year".

Point to Buzz' resume for why you think he'll bounce back - not some ridiculous split conference coach of the year award.
DukeMu
Gap said:

DukeMu said:

Gap said:

Wow doing the math a case rate of 0.0012 with a side effect of a totally normal life with people pursuing their passions and desires like they wish and we used to. Sign me up please.

The 2 biggest groups with a case of covid are 20-29 y/o and 10-19 y/o then a big drop to 30-39 y/o group.

Brazos County looks like a fully functioning society.
Per week, chief...and Brazos Valley underreports, because they don't count the A&M positive cases taken on campus, which are 3500 for the semester and 10,000 in the last year and 1 month. 700K dead, more than cancer, heart disease, Type II diabetes, drug deaths, accidents.

Morbidity is almost more of a problem. ICUs are full in the county and Texas (most 95% or 100% full), forcing hospitals to turn people away folks sick from other diseases. 10% if those testing positive for COVID will have Long COVID. Long COVID + another 50% of COVID cases will have long term, and possibly permanent brain damage and/or heart damage. There are cognitive deficit data on COVID patients.

It's no joke. Ask an Infectious Disease physician. One of my brothers is one, and also has an MPH in Epidemiology, tested vaccines for SARS I, battle Ebola in Africa. NSC member in the White House. You could not be more off-base. Ask an expert. Don't believe the **** in social media.

Frankly, I expect this kind of thinking from Bernie burned out 60s hippie types...where the original crazy anti-vaxxers lurked in dark alleys, communes, etc.

The current COVID problems in the US were largely preventable.
DukeMu
Proposition Joe said:

The "conference coach of the year" stuff is so overblown. It was essentially the "most improved" award.

Billy Kennedy won coach of the year honors... Did he forget to coach the next year?

And googling I actually even found how much more ridiculous it is... There's apparently both a "Coaches Poll" for the SEC coach of the year as well as an "AP Poll".

John Calipari actually won the Coaches "SEC Coach of the Year". Buzz Williams won the AP "SEC Coach of the Year".

Point to Buzz' resume for why you think he'll bounce back - not some ridiculous split conference coach of the year award.

Buzz made strawberry lemonade out of lemons in Year 1. AP Award (reporters) deserved earning a winning conference record with the Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight. TBH, I could win with Calipari's talent.
Gap
AG
We are talking about Brazos County. I'm pretty sure your 700K dead has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure you didn't touch who is getting it here after bringing up case rates and I gave you the age group specifics.

Football game tonight with 95,000 in the stands. All have the option to mask but maybe 1% do so after living with Covid for 18 months and seeing the impact. There is plenty of critical thinking going on here. Sad to me that fear occupies such a large part of so many others brains.
TXAggie2011
AG
A tournament in Maui was moved to Las Vegas and y'all are arguing about the Brazos Valley.

Relax.
Gap
AG
On that note, I'm really pleased it got resolved in a manner that keeps those quality games on the schedule. Heck, it may even allow some of us to attend.

I'm ready for hoops season to start and like the energy I've seen from the guys in all the videos that have been published.
Tobias Funke
AG
Hopefully this thread will talk more about embarrassing burned out Bernie 60s anti-vaxxers types. That's definitely what I come to this board for.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Quote:

Health and safety guidelines for all attendees will be mandated by the Tournament and will include proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test prior to games beginning as well as a mask mandate inside the arena.

https://mauiinvitational.com/news/2021/10/2/general-2021-maui-jim-maui-invitational-relocates-to-hawaiis-ninth-island-of-las-vegas.aspx
LawHall88
AG
Is it an island-by-island thing?
Ag13
AG
LawHall88 said:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/10/09/athletes-fans-rejoice-mayor-lifts-ban-spectators-uh-football-games/

Perhaps this has something to do with it as this tournament is in Honolulu at University of Hawaii campus.
greg.w.h
AG
Ag13 said:

LawHall88 said:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/10/09/athletes-fans-rejoice-mayor-lifts-ban-spectators-uh-football-games/

Perhaps this has something to do with it as this tournament is in Honolulu at University of Hawaii campus.
Expensive to use the zero Covid strategy. Especially for football programs.

I think reality caught up to Oz and NZ. Catching up to Hawaii now. This disease will be endemic. It can't be managed as an epidemic or pandemic any longer.
mazag08
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Hopefully this thread will talk more about embarrassing burned out Bernie 60s anti-vaxxers types. That's definitely what I come to this board for.
Slamming communist pieces of **** never gets old. Glad we share that view.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Tickets went on sale this morning.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.