What are the odds the Maui Invitational actually happens?

8,058 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TwoTimeAg
@coopercuffe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Me & my family are supposed to go but unfortunately I'm thinking less than 50%. What do y'all think?
sharpdressedman
@coopercuffe said:

Me & my family are supposed to go but unfortunately I'm thinking less than 50%. What do y'all think?

I hope most of your expenditures to-date are refundable. It may happen, but with no fans allowed. I anticipate the COVID chaos will extend for months or longer.
discobrob
AG
Hawaii will be one of the last to open back up.
greg.w.h
AG
Once you commit to isolation lockdowns every surge in cases restores your commitment to isolation lockdowns.
MarcAg
AG
I was going to book tickets last November (after I cancelled my trip to Bahamas) for it but decided not to because of COVID and just the unknown.
agfan2332
I was there with my family in January and it's almost hard to experience the whole thing with their policy. I'd say that it will go on but with no fans is the best guess
AggieOO
Ironman world championship was moved to Feb. I know triathlon is a "fringe" sport, but that's a big sign, IMO. Doubt the tourney is happening, and if it does, no fans.
Ag13
AG
If there's no fans then that's likely a result of travel restrictions (or in conjunction with anyways). As such, would be hard for teams to travel in too. This is what happened last year and the tournament was moved to Asheville, North Carolina.

Unfortunately I am anticipating that happening again. Planning to go with my wife, but it's pretty clear at this point that if vaccines don't slow this down then nothing will. Also clear that Hawaii will continue be very aggressive with restrictions.
Gap
AG
The Aggie volleyball team is headed to Hawaii this coming weekend for a 3 game tournament.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Will be surprised if the tournament doesn't happen. That seems pretty likely. There may very well be some fan restrictions though.
MarcAg
AG
https://www.mauinews.com/sports/local-sports/2021/08/rising-covid-numbers-put-maui-invitationals-return-in-jeopardy/

" The Maui Jim Maui Invitational college basketball tournament is still set for Nov. 22-24 at the Lahaina Civic Center, but discussions are underway between tournament organizers and government officials here about its status due to COVID-19 concerns."
GrayMatter
AG
Fluid situation I guess. Any chance it gets moved inland?
Ag13
AG
GrayMatter said:

Fluid situation I guess. Any chance it gets moved inland?
That's my assumption if it can't happen in Hawaii. Plenty of states in the mainland that would be happy to host. Also what was done last year.

Just got to hope these cases go down quickly. I'm sure a decision will need to be made soon so that the tournament and the teams can plan around it.
Gap
AG
We are at peak Delta currently. Just curious, why weren't there similar worries about our volleyball team's trip to a 4 team tournament in Hawaii this past weekend?
GrayMatter
AG
maybe because Maui Basketball Tournament >>> Volleyball ??

The tournament this past weekend didn't have any fans so I'm guessing they're planning to have a percentage of fans in attendance.
MarcAg
AG
Gap said:

We are at peak Delta currently. Just curious, why weren't there similar worries about our volleyball team's trip to a 4 team tournament in Hawaii this past weekend?
I think the article is saying the way it is now it will continue which is why it hasn't been cancelled, but if things get worse then they will have a decision to make
TXAggie2011
AG
Gap said:

I'm sure there were some worries but a volleyball tournament isn't going to get the same attention.
Ag13
AG
Gap said:

There could be travel restrictions for coming to Hawaii put on at any moment that would literally prevent the basketball teams from even going.

That wasn't the case with the volleyball teams as there are not currently travel restrictions preventing people from flying in/required quarantine. However the volleyball tournament was played without fans.

If the basketball tournament is still played in Hawaii, just without fans, then I'm glad that the players get their Hawaii trip but as someone with a trip booked, that will be an unfortunate outcome for me personally and I'm sure others on this board. Hence the discussion. As of right now that seems like a major possibility.

I hope we are at peak delta, but who really knows. Unfortunately Hawaii has not been a state to look for the best case scenario in all of this.
greg.w.h
AG
It's impossible to know. There isn't a good reason to cancel it outright this early. But Hawaii is in a permanently unique situation due to being isolated in an island chain. It is always tempting to quarantine the whole location. And they have mostly leaned towards longer tourist isolation and more emphasis on lockdown-style measures. I personally think that delays the peak rather than flattening it, but with vaccines and newer therapies perhaps just the delay is lifesaving. Regardless

The only thing to do is track what they are doing to try and improve our understanding of what they are likely to do. Then replan/reallocate resources you've put into going if you can. Was fun to imagine a completely normal year this year. While that lasted at least!!!
Gap
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Gap said:

I'm sure there were some worries but a volleyball tournament isn't going to get the same attention.

So this is about "attention"?

Yikes.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Take it to the volleyball board.
TXAggie2011
AG
Gap said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Gap said:

So this is about "attention"?

Yikes.
What an odd interpretation of my post.

I'm sure there was, somewhere, people asking the same questions that are being asked about Maui. But, a volleyball tournament (with 4 largely mediocre teams) isn't going to get media writing stories about it and is less likely to have someone post about it on a place like Texags.

Gap
AG
Fair enough.

The topic is "What are the odds the Maui Invitational actually happens?" That is what I was commenting on and I thought you were responding to not why are there more media stories about the recent volleyball tournament or the Thanksgiving week basketball tourney.
mic suede
Your agenda is showing. There's a Corona board and a turn everything into politics and say "yikes" board.
TXAggie2011
AG
Gap said:

Fair enough.

The topic is "What are the odds the Maui Invitational actually happens?" That is what I was commenting on and I thought you were responding to not why are there more media stories about the recent volleyball tournament or the Thanksgiving week basketball tourney.
You asked why there were not similar worries about the volleyball tournament. I was just trying to say I'm sure there were, it just didn't get picked up by the media nor did we get a thread about it.
Gap
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Gap said:

Fair enough.

You asked why there were not similar worries about the volleyball tournament. I was just trying to say I'm sure there were, it just didn't get picked up by the media nor did we get a thread about it.
Then we shouldn't expect a different decision unless attention on basketball is somehow relevant to decision making in Hawaii..

College Station would be a good substitute host. Plenty of hotels. We play at LSU Thanksgiving weekend. And we will predictably be open for business. If Hawaii isn't moving forward to normalcy might as well make the change now.
Ag13
AG
Sounds like we may get news one way or the other in the next few days.

https://www.mauinews.com/sports/local-sports/2021/09/big-decisions-ahead-for-mauis-college-basketball-tournaments/
Tibbers
I mean, there's always Pa'ia. Go to the Hana rainforest. Enjoy nature. Maui is paradise. Live it up outside!
mic suede
Cross the Stairway to Heaven off your Hawaii travel list.
Method Man
We can never do anything again.
ColoradoMooseHerd
This thread is being dominated by a few posters trying to manipulate the topic for their agenda. Volleyball and basketball are terrible comparisons from a playing standpoint and from a publicity standpoint.

Basketball you have players sweating, breathing and hanging all over each other.

Volleyball you have two teams that are on opposite sides of the net and typically do not come in physical contact.

Both sports use a ball that everyone on the court would touch.

Publicity wise, volleyball is a niche sport that the majority of the general public and even sports fans have no clue about and do not follow.

Men's basketball is the second most popular college sport as is a huge revenue generator. It is firmly entrenched in the news.

Stop trying to spin every comment into a sound bite for what you want to hear.
Gap
AG
Now do football.

Now do soccer.

Does the virus react differently with basketball in Hawaii versus on the mainland?

Should we end all high and college sports until Covid has played out 5 or more years from now?

Does the vaccine protect a person or not?
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Now do football.

Now do soccer.

Does the virus react differently with basketball in Hawaii versus on the mainland?

Should we end all high and college sports until Covid has played out 5 or more years from now?

Meh. If you don't understand Hawaii don't make fun of them.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Gap said:

Now do football.

Now do soccer.

Thank you for proving my point. Take it to the politics board
Gap
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Gap said:

Now do football.

Now do soccer.

Thank you for proving my point. Take it to the politics board
You masqueraded as engaging on reason and then scurried when someone entered a discussion with you.

Nice message board conversation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.